Do People Have Winches and Don't Use Them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
it is a blast looking at the pics of all the fj40's on this site that are in pristine condition. i can't help but notice on alot of these showroom condition cruisers there are winches bolted on the front. for some is it more of a show thing as an fj40 is made for the offraod? or do people take these vehicles in mint condition out in the mud and actually utilize them. i know mine will never been showroom condition as i am gonna use it for banging through the trails so my winch will be used but it is just an observation.

better have it and never use it...than need it and don't have it...:D
Normally use it for pull out a few heeps on the trials..:cheers:

Warn M8274-50...<<<<<<:flipoff2:
n558416717_2864186_2417482.jpg
n611965037_6345688_6366616.jpg
n611965037_6345689_3259716.jpg

it is a blast looking at the pics of all the fj40's on this site that are in pristine condition. i can't help but notice on alot of these showroom condition cruisers there are winches bolted on the front. for some is it more of a show thing as an fj40 is made for the offraod? or do people take these vehicles in mint condition out in the mud and actually utilize them. i know mine will never been showroom condition as i am gonna use it for banging through the trails so my winch will be used but it is just an observation.

Don't quote me, because my cruiser history is not as deep as some of the other cats on here, but I think the 8274 was a dealer option(maybe factory) on the 40's some years. There is no other winch that sets off a cruiser front end like the 8274....that is, unless it's a 8274-50!!!:grinpimp:

my 8274 is used for the others as well as myself occasionally...:D:beer:
DSC02922.jpg
DSC02926.jpg

after the crew buses were yarded out, had to show the boys a real 4x4....:beer:
DSC02930.jpg

restored

to answer your question, yes but I dont see anything wrong with that if that is your thing

people restore trains, tractors, and all kinds of things

The electric winch on my 82 fj45 gets an absolute flogging doing recovery's, dragging logs and such. But the Toyota PTO winch on the 68 fj40 i'm restoring/modifying will probably never get used, its just there because it looks good and adds to the overall effect.
I'm afraid my 68 is destined to be a cafe cruiser and do the occasional soft off road work :eek:

Last edited:
Damn...that looks like a lot of fun.....great photos. If you have more, send them to toyota trails. I don't see many photos of mud bogging from swamps.

Thansk for the posts...

better have it and never use it...than need it and don't have it...:D
Normally use it for pull out a few heeps on the trials..:cheers:

Warn M8274-50...<<<<<<:flipoff2:

my 82 FJ40 came with a dealer installed 8274, it was used alot when I got the 40, but as I was cleaning up the 40, I had a new 8274-50 on my well used 45....I swaped them, so yes I have a shiny new Warn on my 40.....and its been used around the yard a few times.

no I dont wheel it.

heck I have Warns on 5 of my rigs......some well used, other not so much

I have a winch on each of my trucks. I've used them only occasionally, more around the house than in recoveries.

I've straightened volleyball poles, tensioned ZIP lines, hauled a vehicle up a steep driveway (from the next property over so I could get out) and pulled an oil furnace out of the basement among other things.

As with others I hope not to need it for recoveries.

I'm now convinced that even I need a winch so that when my parking spot gets taken at Starbucks I can properly remove the offending coffee junkie's Vehicle.....:)

DSC01255.jpg

i havent been wheeling much these last few years...but...i still get to use my winch :)

Just doing some pruning in the back yard :lol:

pulled out 8 bushes...PO was big into gardening...i just never realized how fun it was till now :)
IMG_0254.jpg
IMG_0256.jpg

I wheeled without a winch for 12 years and wondered about the people that had them.

Within 3 weeks of getting an 8274 on my 40 I found myself in TWO rollover situations in ONE weekend and was really glad to have it. A winch, like lockers, will encourage you to try more 'adventuresome' things.;)

And you bought your landcruiser for a sense of adventure, no?

:cheers:

For some people winches are like fire extinguishers - you hope you don't have to use it, but it's there in case you do.

i can see the backyard use for a winch as i have one on my atv and use it all the time. i will try to go through anything but before i try i am looking on the other side to make sure there is something to winch to incase i get stuck. and i can see having one on the front for restoration reasons. the next question is, when you do use it in the backyard on your restored cruiser do you try to spool it back up neat or just let it get all bound up in there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom