Do I need to install brake controller? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you all. I think Redarc seems to be a good option, i do not need to plug-unplug once installed. Good factory like install keep it clean IMO. I think tow-pro-Liberty is more than enough for me. So, I am on Redarc's site and looking for the plug-n-play cable. I found the following for Toyota TPH-021 HARNESS . When looking at the compatibility list, it says LCs from 2008 - 2012. I do not see anything else on their site for LC 2016+ . Any idea where to find the plug-n-play harness to work TOW-PRO-Liberty and LC2016?

I think the Redarc guys that have posted on here said it works for all years 200 series LC/LX but you could always ask customer service. @REDARCRyan?

I purchased from eTrailer and they were good to work with and had everything in stock.

You'll want to buy the Redarc factory style switch blank too, if you want a super clean install. It doesn't come with the controller. Mounting Panel for Redarc Tow-Pro Trailer Brake Controller Control Knob ITEM # 331-TPSI-002

If you can crimp butt connectors or solder, you can easily make a plug and play wiring harness with the tow harness part (that comes with every new cruiser) and the wiring harness that comes with the Redarc. A bunch of us have done it and posted the instructions. It is super easy.

I think the Redarc guys that have posted on here said it works for all years 200 series LC/LX but you could always ask customer service. @REDARCRyan?

I purchased from eTrailer and they were good to work with and had everything in stock.

You'll want to buy the Redarc factory style switch blank too, if you want a super clean install. It doesn't come with the controller.

If you can crimp butt connectors or solder, you can easily make a plug and play wiring harness with the tow harness part (that comes with every new cruiser) and the wiring harness that comes with the Redarc. A bunch of us have done it and posted the instructions. It is super easy.
Thank you. Yes, i am buying 'switch blank' as well. I will reach out to @REDARCHRyan.

Thank you all. I did order it from Redcarc directly. Will report how the install goes, may need help on that as well :)

If you got the Redarc harness, it is basically plug and play.

The hardest parts will be finding the factory plug buried in the dash and a bolt to ground the white wire.

The white Toyota connector is on the far left, deep under the dash and the white wire goes to ground, find a good bolt on the body for it.

Helpful instructions for getting at it here: Trailer Brake Controller Connector - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/trailer-brake-controller-connector.361992/

1655219917706.png

If you got the Redarc harness, it is basically plug and play.

The hardest parts will be finding the factory plug buried in the dash and a bolt to ground the white wire.

The white Toyota connector is on the far left, deep under the dash and the white wire goes to ground, find a good bolt on the body for it.

Helpful instructions for getting at it here: Trailer Brake Controller Connector - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/trailer-brake-controller-connector.361992/

View attachment 3033897
Thanks a lot for your help. I got the parts and installed it today. However, when i push the button, blue LED light comes on for just few seconds and then goes off. Is this how it should be as nothing is hooked up to the LC? Or something is wrong I might have done? Would appreciate your input.

You need to be hooked up to a trailer.

You need to be hooked up to a trailer.
Thanks. Per Redarc's instruction book it is in sleep mode ( they call it breathing when no trailer is hooked up and upon pushing the button Blue LED will come on and then dims out completely. So seems like installation is fine. Will test it out with a trailer.) Again Thanks to you and all the members here for instructions and suggestions.

I just hooked mine up to one of my trailers to test it, but their Australian site has a test procedure with a light that you could try:

You'll need a brake controller for any trailer that has electric brakes. Otherwise the brakes on the trailer will not work. I have had many different brake controllers on many different trucks and SUV's in the last 20+yrs. The best by far has been the Redarc that I recently installed on our 200 series. Very easy installation and setup with the plug-n-play harness, and it works flawlessly with very smooth and predictable engagement.

Here are the parts you'll need:

Redarc Tow Pro Elite:
https://amzn.to/3qYY6mE

Plug and play Toyota specific harness is this one, part TPH-021:

Mounting plate is this one, part TPSI-002:

Here's the install walkthrough video:

-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom