Do I need new snap rings after new front bearing/brake job? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced the front bearings and brake rotors last weekend on the 2000 LC and reused the old snaprings. The left side went on fine, but the right side didn't have enough room to sit all the way in the groove at the end of the spindle. It doesn't budge, but visibly looks like it's not fully seated.

I set the bearing preload with the torque wrench per the FSM.
I pulled on the end of the spindle and it wouldn't move at all.

The FSM mentions different width snaprings. Should I replace the snaprings? Do I need a thinner snapring so it will seat fully in the groove?

I'm concerned a bit cause my daughter is driving it two hours for a college visit this weekend.

Thanks much...

I know you don't want to change snap wrings with the same bearings, and can reuse them, but it's possible that you could need different ones with new bearings. The fact that one went in however leads me to believe that you would not want to use a smaller snap wring.

Another member was having the same problem, his issue ended up being that he did not fully seat the new bearing race into the hub.

Good luck.

Thread a bolt into the stub end of the axle and pull out slightly. If it still won't seat, make sure everything is put together correctly. No reason you shouldn't be able to use the same one.

I had to use a thinner one on the PS when we did mine. There are only a few mil's difference between sizes, new bearings and races could cause a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom