DIY 3D Printed Cup Holder Plans (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just thinking out loud here, but after the cup holders are fully sorted out would carbon fiber replacements for the factory fake wood on the interior of our LCs be something that could be accomplished? I'm not aware of a good source for either real wood or carbon fiber replacements. Also not sure how many variations would be needed to cover <2016, 2016-2018, and 2019+.

Once you get things dialed in, I may be interested in one of the cup holders. I've been happy with my BH3D one, but it looks like yours may end up having a nicer finish once you get everything finalized.

Glad you brought this up, and i hope Teck does not mind that it's evolved into more than just talking about cup holders. @TeCKis300

This is something that's been on the back of my mind, as I remember the front right wooden trim was replaced before she was listed for sale by PO; it was either $1300 or $1900 bucks!!! For a small piece of wooden trim... apparently the wood is very hard to get.

It's just a matter of time before we can have any parts made out of any material, with the easier materials/cheaper machines first.

Biggest challenge here is acquiring good/accurate 3D models.

I have a few ideas in mind for the model:

1. Automotive-grade 3D Scanner - I would take what members need out of my own LX, scan it & reproduce it. This is near top of my priority list and is only limited by finances at the moment. I am also taking my time to research something that is the best bang for my bucks (a lot of research left to do).

2. Find a solid 3D model for every Lexus/Toyota model I want to offer replacement parts for, and use that to temporarily skip the expensive 3D scanner requirement; long-term a good scanner is inevitable, even if we have to DIY one ourselves. Currently they are closer to $10k for industrial-grade scanners meant for professional automotive applications. This is likely the best route, and fastest, as there are some really talented designers out there & companies dedicated to scanning popular models.

3. Slowly learn 3D design software and redraw it one part at a time, as needed.

Then there is the manufacturing part, which I also have a few ideas in mind.

1. I do plan on adding a fleet of CNC machines, starting with smaller less expensive ones and starting with foam (wire cutting) and wood (router). Some things are better CNC'ed than printed, regardless of material. Not sure if this is better printed or CNC'ed, but we will have the pleasure of trying both and seeing for ourselves.

2. Part of my scaling up plans does include scaling up build volume along with production capacity, I would estimate that before the end of the year that I would have at least 1 machine that can print your entire dash in one piece, and before that will come the ones that can cover the smaller segments. It's just a matter of time and I think sooner than later. I'll start collecting some ROI back soon from my filament/machines/other stuff I needed, and with that I will be scaling things up pretty quick! It's just a matter of time, before we are be dreaming up entire roof racks, personalized drawer systems, and off-road bumpers! I decided a while back the only way I could ever afford all the mods I want for my LX, is if I learned to make them myself; and keep the prototypes/write it off as R&D.

3. I also have plans to learn other methods of manufacturing like injection molding, sheet press and etc. Some I want to learn to cut down on production costs, and some so that I am better equipped to make the best final product possible.

With all this said, there is a very special icing on the cake; personalization! I imagine an entire mural engraved into my dash and I think the best way to put it is to simply say that by the time we get done, there will be no mistaking whose car it belongs to!

Best thing anyone can do to speed things along, is to buy the things I can currently make, when I am ready to sell them.

Thank you and bless!
- Sharpe

@SharpeCat - Adding to the idea thread. I realize the issue is getting the dimensions, but I am positive there would be a market for some sort of 3D printed "cubby" to replace the useless center console fold down cigarette lighter/ashtray area.
I’m working on some things that will speed this process up, namely using photogrammetry to get a rough scan, and then using CAD software to redraw the part while the rough scan is in the scene (to scale). I can test fitment within autocad this way.

It will look something like this, with the red part being the autocad drawing, and the rough part around it being the photogrammetry scan imported into autocad for reference.

39D04766-4269-4987-A038-D1D166B69342.png

A66D1088-874F-413A-8043-44B095A91D19.png

Last edited:
Basically I will have you guys take photos around an object of item you want custom fitted, and from there I can run it through photogrammetry software to turn it into 3D model for reference. You can save me time by rendering the photos yourself as I only have so much computing power, and send me the final 3D model.

This is something anyone with a phone or any camera can help.

You people with nice DSLRs, this is your time to shine! Scan your entire rigs for me/my mud museum project! Would be nice to have everyone’s rigs and mods Under one roof, even if virtual, for inspiration and for reference/drawing ideas from!

April 19th, my parts get here! Will be building the Vorons live, as well as running test prints live.

I also made plans to upgrade my fleet of sidewinders to Pro Hotends, and thus making them eligible to handle higher temps (up to 300C). I am also upgrading beds for better adhesion when warm/hot. Last thing I am doing is moving fleet of X2s (my large build volume machines) upstairs and eventually enclosing them on top, to prevent further lifting and warping from temp flunctuations (ac vents and being near doors to outside).

Long story short, the fleet will be able to join in the production of ABS and carbon fiber cup holders here in a few weeks. The two vorons will start things off until then, soon after parts get here next week!

I also have 10 more genius Pros with Pro hotends coming to handle smaller parts/so I can dedicate X2s/vorons to cup holders for a couple months.

-Sharpe

Glad you brought this up, and i hope Teck does not mind that it's evolved into more than just talking about cup holders. @TeCKis300

This is something that's been on the back of my mind, as I remember the front right wooden trim was replaced before she was listed for sale by PO; it was either $1300 or $1900 bucks!!! For a small piece of wooden trim... apparently the wood is very hard to get.

It's just a matter of time before we can have any parts made out of any material, with the easier materials/cheaper machines first.

Biggest challenge here is acquiring good/accurate 3D models.

I have a few ideas in mind for the model:

1. Automotive-grade 3D Scanner - I would take what members need out of my own LX, scan it & reproduce it. This is near top of my priority list and is only limited by finances at the moment. I am also taking my time to research something that is the best bang for my bucks (a lot of research left to do).

2. Find a solid 3D model for every Lexus/Toyota model I want to offer replacement parts for, and use that to temporarily skip the expensive 3D scanner requirement; long-term a good scanner is inevitable, even if we have to DIY one ourselves. Currently they are closer to $10k for industrial-grade scanners meant for professional automotive applications. This is likely the best route, and fastest, as there are some really talented designers out there & companies dedicated to scanning popular models.

3. Slowly learn 3D design software and redraw it one part at a time, as needed.

Then there is the manufacturing part, which I also have a few ideas in mind.

1. I do plan on adding a fleet of CNC machines, starting with smaller less expensive ones and starting with foam (wire cutting) and wood (router). Some things are better CNC'ed than printed, regardless of material. Not sure if this is better printed or CNC'ed, but we will have the pleasure of trying both and seeing for ourselves.

2. Part of my scaling up plans does include scaling up build volume along with production capacity, I would estimate that before the end of the year that I would have at least 1 machine that can print your entire dash in one piece, and before that will come the ones that can cover the smaller segments. It's just a matter of time and I think sooner than later. I'll start collecting some ROI back soon from my filament/machines/other stuff I needed, and with that I will be scaling things up pretty quick! It's just a matter of time, before we are be dreaming up entire roof racks, personalized drawer systems, and off-road bumpers! I decided a while back the only way I could ever afford all the mods I want for my LX, is if I learned to make them myself; and keep the prototypes/write it off as R&D.

3. I also have plans to learn other methods of manufacturing like injection molding, sheet press and etc. Some I want to learn to cut down on production costs, and some so that I am better equipped to make the best final product possible.

With all this said, there is a very special icing on the cake; personalization! I imagine an entire mural engraved into my dash and I think the best way to put it is to simply say that by the time we get done, there will be no mistaking whose car it belongs to!

Best thing anyone can do to speed things along, is to buy the things I can currently make, when I am ready to sell them.

Thank you and bless!
- Sharpe

No problemo! Glad to have shared some ideas, but more excited for you to take it, run with it, and make if all your own. Which is awesome to see you do in spades.

It's what makes these forums so great. Collaborating, and the community taking the car far beyond what the factory intended.

I don’t know how this didn’t occur to me sooner, just been swamped with setting up I guess!

ABS Carbon fiber boys. Mud has to get the best, right?

I will put the plans into action and message my KVP rep for CF ABS, and pick up some CF Nylon while I am at it. I also went ahead and put into action what I need to upgrade 20 (getting a second fleet) sidewinders to be able to print Nylon CF (which means it can also handle ABS).

Will take longer before I get started, but the que will go much faster once I do. Also, extra time to design and brainstorm wouldn’t hurt. When talking about a personalized cup holder that will last the life of the vehicle, I want to take a step back to better set myself up with the right tools.
- Sharpe

Last edited:
In addition to the 2 Vorons (building this week!), there will be 20 sidewinder X2s that can help boost the que if needed. Part of my Artillery order for end of this month includes 10 more X2s and 21 pro hotend upgrades: I’d appreciate preorders to help pay for this here/but will try my best to handle on my own.

These will allow all 20 X2 and my 1 genius pro to go up to 300C (covers most materials). This in addition to moving them into a room upstairs and building enclosures, will allow me to use them for cup holders as well. 2 machines at first, 22 once I get enclosures built.

If anyone needs anything from Artillery (filament and 3D printers), tagging along with my order is a great way to get the best prices (X2 $332 shipped from US).

With that said, although I am equipping myself with a decent production capability, trust me that it will not be enough once we factor in just other projects for mud alone. Also consider that I need machines to cater to my online shop and to locals as well (including family and friends). These things pay for themselves in just money saved on gifts!

Consider picking one up for yourself, and use it to follow along with me on my mud projects/any you like. It’s just a cup holder now, but if you want other things/even just updates to your own cup holder (if future mod for it interests you), then it will pay for itself in just mods you can copy directly from me. After that, trust me that having a 3D printer in your home comes with a lot of icing on the cake.

Also consider joining me with your own machine and together we will all make things for mud. It doesn’t have to come from me, as in any mudder that can make these cup holders are welcome to join me and help make them.

Also, some things will cost pennies to make and dollars to ship, and it makes more sense for me to teach you how to make yourself.

Back to the whole better to teach a man to fish thing, than to give him a cup holder shaped like a fish. It goes something like that, anyways.

@TeCKis300 Maybe temporarily adapt this thread into a group buy for a week? and then take it back to its roots: a “DIY” cup holder, and not a “Ask Sharpe To Make You One” cup holder. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to make you guys some just to show you what you can do yourself with a few hundred dollar printer, but better long term to teach you to do yourself, right?

Photos of X2 and pro hotend upgrade for reference, for about $370 total delivered (hotend from China printer from US).

Basically, get same machine as me and I will provide all instructions needed to replicate everything I do with it. From there you can take what you learn and use it to make your other projects. In the future, you will only buy something from me just to support me/basically a donation, and not because you actually need me to make you something.

Sharpe

32A0090B-48DD-44ED-9003-675F1ABCD117.png

8626148B-AC1A-44FD-AC51-226C662398F5.png

Last edited:
@TeCKis300 Maybe temporarily adapt this thread into a group buy for a week? and then take it back to its roots: a “DIY” cup holder, and not a “Ask Sharpe To Make You One” cup holder. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to make you guys some just to show you what you can do yourself with a few hundred dollar printer, but better long term to teach you to do yourself, right?

Sure thing! Just let me know how I can help. Change thread title, cross-link, whatever you wish.

@SharpeCat, can you clarify/summarize what you have available to preorder? To be honest, I don’t have much interest/free time right now to do this myself, but I’m not exactly thrilled with the OEM cup holder. Plus, I’d be happy to help support you as you ramp up. Just not sure how.

@SharpeCat, can you clarify/summarize what you have available to preorder? To be honest, I don’t have much interest/free time right now to do this myself, but I’m not exactly thrilled with the OEM cup holder. Plus, I’d be happy to help support you as you ramp up. Just not sure how.
The preorder is for the cup holders themselves, and right now I am thinking the 2 options will be in ABS or ABS Carbon fiber.

ABS will be $25, and I’m hoping CF ABS will be $30. Preorder means to go ahead and pay now but it will take up to 4 weeks before I can ship out. My Venmo and Zelle is baodabuilder@gmail.com, please include in note your customization/personalization details/requests; I will release a template and give you time/instructions before finalizing your print.

During this time I will try to work on personalizations and try to incorporate muds ideas. I also want to look at other cup holders, both aftermarket and oem, in order to draw ideas from. I’d welcome extra eyes on this front!

And thank you for offering, much appreciated.

Side update: YouTube put me on timeout for a week so I am setting up a twitch. With twitch I can make short clips more easily and share only the relevant parts.

Twitch.tv/Baothebuilder

I need the platform for streaming but I can’t say I am proud of everything that goes on there, and same goes for every platform really. Some are just better at filtering the mess from the front pages than others. Please be considerate when browsing, as I do not want to lead anyone to the “wrong section of YouTube”. I can’t control what makes it on front page, or even what gets put next to my stream in recommendations, I can only control what appears on my own.

I’ll be hanging out in the “Maker’s Section”.

-Sharpe

Last edited:
What does one need to be able to scan existing parts to print? I.e. if you wanted to duplicate a part that broke, do you have to take copious measurements and fiddle around in CAD? Or is there an easier way?

What does one need to be able to scan existing parts to print? I.e. if you wanted to duplicate a part that broke, do you have to take copious measurements and fiddle around in CAD? Or is there an easier way?
That's a really good question. Another related question: are parts printed on a 3D printer at home as strong and durable as the original part or is that pretty much simply a matter of printing the part with the correct material that may just cost more?

The other thing along the lines of teaching people how to feed themselves for life rather than feeding them for a day is that there's a lot of content posted here that feels like a stream of consciousness leaving me with no idea exactly what I would need to purchase if, for example, I wanted to be able to print my own cup holder (or potentially something larger). A well organized post that lists out the equipment and material options would go a long way towards getting people on board with getting their own equipment. Also, how much space is needed for the hardware as I'm not sure I have a good spot available to set something up? If the required 3D printer hardware can be knocked down (or folded) into a reasonably compact package for storage when not in use, that would make it more viable for me.

Free method:

For scanning parts to replicate, the way I would do it for now is use my phone to take pictures around an object, and from there I would import those pictures into a free photogrammetry software.

Then, the software will combine all the 2D photos and render it into a 3D model, as well as help you clean it.

Then, you take your imperfect model and import it into your CAD/3D design software of choice and use it as a reference point to eliminate vast majority of the guessing work.

Try to do this on a nice overcast day, to minimize shadows and UV light/reflections that can make it hard for the camera.

That's a really good question. Another related question: are parts printed on a 3D printer at home as strong and durable as the original part or is that pretty much simply a matter of printing the part with the correct material that may just cost more?

The other thing along the lines of teaching people how to feed themselves for life rather than feeding them for a day is that there's a lot of content posted here that feels like a stream of consciousness leaving me with no idea exactly what I would need to purchase if, for example, I wanted to be able to print my own cup holder (or potentially something larger).

As far as strength goes, you have a massive amount of control over this.

Not just in terms of which material you pick, but you have control of many things including wall thickness & infill pattern.

Wall thickness I don't need to explain, but for infill patterns; think "corrugated cardboard" but on steroids.
1650218989212.png

Tubular patterns is an extreme example, but it is a way to make even plastic bulletproof and with relatively less total thickness, compared to things like traditional bulletproof acrylic.

And when talking materials, there are certainly some very impressive things out there, especially when money is not an issue. For us common folks, carbon fiber nylon is one of the strongest materials out there. We have to take into consideration other characteristics/what defines strength, or what kind of strength we need. Examples include rigidity & tensile strength, and there are different ways to improve both even within the same material.

Another good one is Polycarbonate, which is used in combination with acrylic to make aircraft windshields.

And then, there's the fact that 3D printing is not limited to just plastic. There are ceramic/metal/gel/liquid 3D printers out there, to name a few. The ones that can print liquid can make hydraulic suspension parts and entire robots in one print. There's printers already out there that are printing entire $500,000 homes in less than a week. Even things like Rocket shells and intake manifolds have been printed, and at very high quality/standards.

A part of scaling up over time is to eventually get some CNC machines and metal printers, as well as scale up build size.

For now, with this months order, I will have a total of 23 machines that can go up to 300 Celsius & allow me to work with nylon carbon fiber; pretty much cover all plastics.

Here is list from Keene Village Plastics, who also owns Makeshaper.

1650220071296.png
\
1650220287593.png

1650220369107.png

1650220424644.png

A well organized post that lists out the equipment and material options would go a long way towards getting people on board with getting their own equipment. Also, how much space is needed for the hardware as I'm not sure I have a good spot available to set something up? If the required 3D printer hardware can be knocked down (or folded) into a reasonably compact package for storage when not in use, that would make it more viable for me.
There's many printers out there, and easiest one to follow along with me is to get the same one I have. However, if you already have one, we will make it work with yours/I will give you separate instructions if needed.

My setup:

Artillery Sidewinder X2 - $350 (includes shipping and processing fees, ship from Cali)
Pro Hotend upgrade - $45 + $10 fast ship from China
Spare pro nozzles/heatbreak/different sizes - $15

$420 total.

As far as size goes, I am about to put 10 into just the master bedroom closet alone. Plan is to have about 100 in the house by end of year. I can run 10 of them off of 1 circuit as long as I don't heat them all up at same time, as initial heating is the most power-hungry part. I heat about 4-5 at a time.

With that said, I have pretty much locked in our discount with Artillery, so don't worry if you need plenty of time to see if you'd like to pick one up.

3B1AA8DC-71A7-49F6-8667-5582623BDDC2.jpeg

9D9C6F3B-2195-4248-B473-6CA2DE208D7B.jpeg

2EAC0A37-F537-4301-BBDE-A377C5054047.png

Last photo is the automated ejection farm I am setting up. You don't need to tilt it/automate it if only have 1 machine. This is to help me manage 100 machines, and also to manage them remotely from any location/when not home.

Last edited:
And then there’s Lidar scanning with your phone, for those who have more modern phones. I am on an iPhone 8, but may consider upgrading to something more capable for work.

Basically your phone has a built in 3D scanner. This is easiest solution for those who already have something like an iPhone 12 or 13 (more models out there). Look up lidar phones.

So UPS damaged the Voron in shipping while out for delivery, they are sending another.

This is how I’m keeping myself busy in the mean time/things I’m making to help raise funds for machines/upgrades at end of month: making trays of last supper eggs. Each tray will contain 6-24 eggs: you can mix and match colors and materials. These take a while to print due to the details, so I am hoping for $1 each delivered: minimum order 6 for now and multiples of 6, 12 or 18 (packaging). I can also include a free Starbucks keychain as gifts/slip in between eggs (those sell for $10 on some sites). I’ll give discounts for bulk orders that will help me save time on shipping labels as well.

Idea is to use these trays to promote recycling plastic egg trays, and eventually even foam if I can use up all the plastic ones (from neighbors and etc). I’m about to ask everyone to save their egg trays for me; also a part of my bigger plans to do my small part to help divert plastic from landfills.

It’s also part of my long-term effort to give people examples of what they could offer/sell with their 3D printers, but also to show how profitable it can be if you choose right products to print. In terms of machine hours and material cost vs resell value, these eggs and Starbucks cup keychains come with room for massive margins. They cost pennies to make and sell for dollars.

I know it won’t be done in time/delivered for Easter, but these egg trays will look great year round. This is a great way to support me and help me scale up, to buy a tray and give them out to your friends and family, neighbors churches etc. I’ll make some sort of podium for them later, so you can display one on your desk.

I will update this post throughout today, and also enable VOD on my twitch so you can watch the process through my stream. Hoping to have a tray with all 18 silk color options in it as first tray; a great way to show you guys color and material options in printed form too. This project knocks out a lot of birds with the same stone so I will go ahead and get it done today!

Yep, so today’s stream title / video feed for next few days is “I wake up every morning and I piss EGGS-Cellence”.

Actual stream title will be known when I’m live (I honestly don’t know ahead of time I’m too unpredictable even to myself). Maybe “EGGS-cellent EGG-amples: Products for your 3D Print Shop”.

After breakfast.

I’m having scrambled eggs. A lot of it.

-Sharpe

F6983917-3941-4E09-A91B-B81F8AF6F092.jpeg

image.jpg

5A3D0496-BBC5-43BE-A76A-CAF586D11AAC.png

image.jpg

BCF77529-9D72-4C7A-8DE7-9C5200BD1410.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom