DIY: 2004 Multi Function Display (MFD) PIN 60 Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First off. Thank you sooooo much for this write up.
Just bought a 2004 LX470 with a non working MFD. Thought about trying to upgrade but wasn’t sure if then I would be compounding my problems if that didn’t fix it. I literally just signed up to post this thank you. This is my first ever of the cruiser family of vehicle and I got a great price since it needed to be fixed.
This is also my first post on the forum.
I haven’t even registered this truck yet since I couldn’t get any heat out of the dash and it’s already winter in Wyoming. I’m an automotive technician so digging into the MFD didn’t scare me at all. The joint looked fine as far as I could tell but, since I was there it was gonna get resoldered. I didn’t experience any issues with the soldering iron being too big (my eyes are still great and hands steady for my age) and I just cleaned the tip off and touched some fresh solder with the tip so I had a tiny thread of solder sticking off of the iron. This was perfect since I couldn’t see any change when I had touched the pin with a dry iron. I would suggest adding solder to anyone trying this. After I used a “wet” iron I could see that it had flowed the pin and was a visible difference.
I put it back together and plugged everything back in to a 17degreeF truck sitting in the snow, fired it up and immediately it started to work perfect. All functions on. I started screaming “No way!, No F$&@ing Way!!!” This is such a simple fix to my new to me truck and I’m so happy. I was searching web trying to find what other people had done with the “check connection to air conditioner” message when I found this. I never even had to do any diag! I went straight to trying this first and wow just wow.
im super curious who the first person to track this problem down was and how long they spent figuring it out.
My hats off to anyone involved with this fix and thank you again. Merry Christmas.

This fix works 100%. I have a 2004 Lexus LX 470. Takes no time at all, cost me $20 for the soldering iron on amazon. Don't be afraid of it, just have a good magnifying instrument and a somewhat steady hand. Thanks again.

Congratulations! The "fix" worked for me about a month.. Instead of repeating the process, I ordered the part referenced above.. Installed and back in business!!

We'll see I guess, Hopefully it holds. I've soldered quite a few components and chips in my military days. The only issue with the instructions in my opinion was simply heating up the pin and not adding any solder. Although with a cold sold joint you could assume that enough solder was used and just didn't melt, but never hurts to add a tiny bit extra. Anyways, easy fix that took about 30 minutes. Worth trying before I shell out money for a new board, etc.

Thanks for posting this! I've done this twice now. It absolutely works, it just doesn't last. Someone posted about letting the connector 'relax' or something before tightening the boards together. no idea. I wonder if we couldn't bore out the 4 holes on the circuit board just a bit, to fix the alignment problem. If i'm forced to do the repair a third time, i might try this. I can't remember how long the first repair lasted. 18mos? Maybe 24?

Amazing! Thank You! Thank You! I did this in like 30-40 minutes. I bought a butane soldering iron, it came with a fine tip. I put a pair of pliers on the board to steady the tip, I did not even know for sure if it flashed. Put it all back together and it ALL WORKS! Ha!!

Thanks again, you missed nothing on your write up. Well done!

Great post! I have a 2006 lx470 and talked to autobeyours today. They said the mfds on the 2006s are different than the 2004s and 2005s. Has anyone tried to do this on an 06 and did it seem to be the same fix? I messaged the AliExpress shop that sells the board and asked them if it worked with my model but I’m not sure they’ll know or if I should trust them. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Recap on my efforts. First solder job worked great for a year or so. Failed again and the patch didn’t hold at all really. New circuit board installed last night. Worked as advertised. MFD didn’t connect this morning for about 20 min, then came on. Makes me nervous that this is a temp fix. At least I was able to set AC to auto, so if it goes out again I’m not totally screwed. Probably selling the truck, but can’t do so in good conscious of the repair is spotty. Those that installed the new circuit board, how’s it doing? And, what are the replacement options as far as aftermarket head units (that allow the AC controls to function properly, not worried about Nav)? I’ll reread some old posts, I’m sure someone has replaced the head unit.

damn, it's on and off. crap. Wondering if i just try and order a new ($300) board. No one cares if radio works. or map. but when the MFD is off, the AC controls don't function. OK if left on Auto, but the first time the battery dies (or is disconnected) you can't reset the AC. crap. I'll double check all the connectors, but it has to be the same Pin60 issue. I guess the 'new' circuit boards are basically the same as the original, with the same defect?

I have issues on my '04 LX where the physical buttons arent's working... (along the left of screen, and the botttom, climate control stuff).
Clock is also out. but screen works... its just stuck in Info/Trip mode as that was the last mode it was on. Touchscreen still responds, but i have no control to change the screen w/o the buttons. DVD movies still play ok too. Radio is fine.

Just in case, tried the 60Pin solder re-flow last nigth... no dice.
Ordered the new Board too. Will try that as well.. worst case I'll have a spare board I guess in case it goes bad.

Frustrating just chasing this down. Haven't seen anyone w/ issues exactly like mine yet...
Being stuck in Info/Trip is ok, but I really want Climate control again.

I have issues on my '04 LX where the physical buttons arent's working... (along the left of screen, and the botttom, climate control stuff).
Clock is also out. but screen works... its just stuck in Info/Trip mode as that was the last mode it was on. Touchscreen still responds, but i have no control to change the screen w/o the buttons. DVD movies still play ok too. Radio is fine.

Just in case, tried the 60Pin solder re-flow last nigth... no dice.
Ordered the new Board too. Will try that as well.. worst case I'll have a spare board I guess in case it goes bad.

Frustrating just chasing this down. Haven't seen anyone w/ issues exactly like mine yet...
Being stuck in Info/Trip is ok, but I really want Climate control again.
I had almost same.. however, screen was intermittent.. climate controls stuck in last position w/o screen... Radio worked.. I did the pin60 repair and it worked... for a few days..etc.. So, I ordered the board from China.. Installed months ago and it all works without problem...

Reading this gives me anxiety on when my MFD will die, at least i can order a replacement part from China or fix it for the time being now

I had almost same.. however, screen was intermittent.. climate controls stuck in last position w/o screen... Radio worked.. I did the pin60 repair and it worked... for a few days..etc.. So, I ordered the board from China.. Installed months ago and it all works without problem...
Thanks... you give me hope... lol.

Did we determine the final proper part number? I didn't see that discussion fully resolved.

Did we determine the final proper part number? I didn't see that discussion fully resolved.
Well, I think we'll find out soon...

The "new" MFD driver board that's sold is: 86114-60020 134160-7330.
Mine is actually: 86114-60020 134160-6830

Hope they're compatible...

Hi all! My board has gone down again and so my question is, can iIbuy a new board for my 2004 Amazon Landcruiser and if so, how!!

Thank you!!

I am on the same boat, did the board work, i.e. is it compatible with your MFD?

The new “original” board I ordered from somewhere in Asia, can’t remember, but I got it off eBay, didn’t really work out if the box. They really are identical to the OEM boards I guess. Just not in a good way. The guys I bought it from said they’re tested and work. I actually don’t doubt that completely, problem is, they don’t work in the vehicle. Working on a test bench doesn’t help. I guess there’s too much stress on the one pin when the board is fastened into the MFD. not sure. I sent the new board off to NYC (some company off eBay that does the soldering) and it works fine. I skipped the home remedy this time. It’s been good for about 10 months. Maybe I should order another board just to have as a backup. While they’re still available.

The new “original” board I ordered from somewhere in Asia, can’t remember, but I got it off eBay, didn’t really work out if the box. They really are identical to the OEM boards I guess. Just not in a good way. The guys I bought it from said they’re tested and work. I actually don’t doubt that completely, problem is, they don’t work in the vehicle. Working on a test bench doesn’t help. I guess there’s too much stress on the one pin when the board is fastened into the MFD. not sure. I sent the new board off to NYC (some company off eBay that does the soldering) and it works fine. I skipped the home remedy this time. It’s been good for about 10 months. Maybe I should order another board just to have as a backup. While they’re still available.
Thank you very much for the fast reply. You reply really has really helped as I was trying to buy the same board from AliExpress for 240$ but I think I am going to ship to for fix. My issue is that the MFD doesn't connect with DVD changer, each time I hit the Disc button it is prompting with "The external system is not connected". The issue seems to be with PIN 60 but not so sure. The RSA isn't working as well. I did post my issue here if you are interested to see my intial debugging DVD changer & RSA. How much did cost if I may to ask, and which place where you sent it to? Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom