Distributor Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys. I bought a new distributor for my 82 non USA FJ60. I want to install it but I noticed that when I turn my engine by hand to get to TDC on my number 1 cylinder, the rotor on my current dizzy isn't in line with my number 1 spark plug on the cap. Instead, it is in line with number 4 on the cap. I must add that a year ago, before I had the knowledge I do now, I decided to remove my dizzy to inspect it and I may have reinstalled it the wrong way. What can I do?

It should look like this if you are trying for TDC/ Compression stroke for a 2F motor:

1654180573123.png

Last edited:
But if you are just removing the dizzy and replacing it, it really doesn't HAVE to be on TDC, just make sure the rotor is pointing to the same spot when it goes back in. And you WILL want to reset the timing after re-installing.

There’s TDC compression stroke and TDC exhaust stroke. For every two revolutions of the crankshaft, the distributor rotor rotates once.
TDC reference in the manual in regards to distributor stuff is always TDC compression.

So in this illustration is the rotor pointing to #4 on the cap? If so, everything is in order for me.
No, It's showing a line pointing between the 3rd and 4th spark plug but a little closer to #4. My cap has a 5 near the number 3 plug, and a 1 near the number 4 plug. The numbers on the cap that indicates to which plug the wire connects. Is this a 2f motor?

No, It's showing a line pointing between the 3rd and 4th spark plug but a little closer to #4. My cap has a 5 near the number 3 plug, and a 1 near the number 4 plug. The numbers on the cap that indicates to which plug the wire connects. Is this a 2f motor?
Yes sir. It's a 2F for sure. I'm just confused because my understanding is that when the pointer is lined up with the TDC line on the flywheel, that the rotor of the dizzy should be pointing to number one on the cap.

The firing order for the 2F engine is 1 5 3 6 2 4. As OSS points out, there are two TDC for each cylinder, compression and exhaust. So aligning the pointer with the TDC line could be either. Also, when you say it is point to number 4 on the cap, are you just looking at the number embossed on the cap, or have you followed the spark plug wire to see which connection on the cap is connected to which spark plug. Your wires may be connected wrong. At TDC, your rotor should either be aligned with the #1 wire connection or the #6 wire connection. It is is aligned with the #6 wire connection then you need to rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees to be on the #1 cylinder compression stroke TDC.

Another trick is pop the valve cover off and when the pointer is pointed to the TDC line, cylinder 1 on its compression stroke the first two rockers will be 'loose' as in there is a small amount of play against the valve/valve spring if somewhat adjusted correctly. If they are both tight - check the last 2 rockers, if those are loose then you you need to spin the motor one more time.

Set the rotor on dizzy pointed just before cylinder 4 (on the head) and drop it in.

The firing order for the 2F engine is 1 5 3 6 2 4. As OSS points out, there are two TDC for each cylinder, compression and exhaust. So aligning the pointer with the TDC line could be either. Also, when you say it is point to number 4 on the cap, are you just looking at the number embossed on the cap, or have you followed the spark plug wire to see which connection on the cap is connected to which spark plug. Your wires may be connected wrong. At TDC, your rotor should either be aligned with the #1 wire connection or the #6 wire connection. It is is aligned with the #6 wire connection then you need to rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees to be on the #1 cylinder compression stroke TDC.
I memorize where number 1 would be on the dizzy cap and then I place the cap back on to double check when I think the rotor is pointing at number 1. I am aware of the fact that at TDC, the rotor should either be pointing to number 1 on the cap or number 6 on the cap. Mine is pointing to 4 on the cap, which is why I'm so confused.

OK. Sorry if I'm being too simplistic or redundant. If your truck runs reasonable well and the rotor is pointing to the cap connection for the #4 spark plug wire, then you may not be at TDC. The scribe line should be within a few cm of the 7 deg before TDC "BB". If you rotate the engine in the direction that it turns when running (I think it is counter clockwise) you should see the "BB" pass through the window just before the scribe line. On my flywheel there are some marks that I can confuse with the scribe line, and I have painted the scribe line so it is easy to see it.

Pictures might help this situation...

The illustration above is in the 2F engine manual as a way to confirm TDC compression stroke, prior to adjusting valves, as part of an overall engine rebuilding process. Attached are the pages from the 2F engine manual for distributor installation, General Countries and USA (two procedures). What is unknown is what would be different to accommodate your new distributor. The rotor is keyed to the shaft so it can go on only one way. And the cap is keyed to the body, so it can go on only one way. but these alignments may be different on your new distributor. Are there any directions how to install the new distributor? Pretty much any installation process would start with the engine being at TDC of the compression stroke for the #1 cylinder, so you do have to start there...

Attachments

• Distributor Installation.pdf
    369.1 KB · Views: 88
OK. Sorry if I'm being too simplistic or redundant. If your truck runs reasonable well and the rotor is pointing to the cap connection for the #4 spark plug wire, then you may not be at TDC. The scribe line should be within a few cm of the 7 deg before TDC "BB". If you rotate the engine in the direction that it turns when running (I think it is counter clockwise) you should see the "BB" pass through the window just before the scribe line. On my flywheel there are some marks that I can confuse with the scribe line, and I have painted the scribe line so it is easy to see it.

Pictures might help this situation...
The thing is, my van doesn't run at all at the moment. I tried to do the timing a while ago but I failed because I couldn't keep the van running due to her dying everytime I loosened my dizzy hold down bolt to rotate the distributor. That's why I decided to try a new distributor and see if it makes a difference. I don't know if I'm missing your point but I just need to know if I'm wrong in thinking that the rotor needs to line up with number 1 on the cap when the number 1 cylinder is on compression TDC.

Yes it should. at the top of the compression stroke the spark will ignite the vapor/fuel mixture and the resulting combustion creates the power stroke. The timing at idle is set for 7 degrees before TDC compression, but you probably can't tell this difference. On the distributor cap, each successive spark plug wire connection is 60 degrees away from the other. So when at TDC compression, the rotor should be under the #1 spark plug wire connector on the cap. Certainly more so than any of the the other wire connectors.

Rotating the distributor will change the relationship between the rotor and the cap connectors but I think it is unlikely that you can turn your distributor enough to move the rotor from #4 to #1.

This is where a picture would maybe help to see if your distributor is just twisted too far, or it is installed a gear tooth or two off.

Last edited:
Yes sir. It's a 2F for sure. I'm just confused because my understanding is that when the pointer is lined up with the TDC line on the flywheel, that the rotor of the dizzy should be pointing to number one on the cap.
Ok, glad we know its a 2f. Now, you are confusing things a little by talking about the # on the cap. At TDC compression the #1 piston is all the way to the top. The #1 piston is closest to the radiator. At TDC the rotor points as the image I posted earlier ...between 3 and 4 spark plugs. Forget about the #s on your cap for now. your dizzy rotor should point as the image shows and the flywheel indicator points to the TDC line, then you are TDC on the Compression stroke. You can confirm by removing the #1 spark plug and probing inside with screwdriver to see that the piston is all the way to the top. With someone holding the screwdriver straight up and down and touching the top of the piston, another person can turn the crank by hand, or pull the flywheel back and forth just a little. this will move the piston up and down a little and you can confirm that the piston is at the top.

If you are doing a valve job while the motor is not running, you'll need to put the motor on TDC compression stroke and adjust the valves specified. Then other valves are adjusted when you rotate the flywheel around again and get on the line but the rotor is pointing away from the motor.

If you are just working on the dizzy and have to pull it out, just take a picture of the rotor position and put it back the same way. Realize that the rotor will rotate a little when you pull it out and put it back in. this is because of the gear at the bottom that has curved teeth that meshes with the camshaft.

Last edited:
Ok, glad we know its a 2f. Now, you are confusing things a little by talking about the # on the cap. At TDC compression the #1 piston is all the way to the top. The #1 piston is closest to the radiator. At TDC the rotor points as the image I posted earlier ...between 3 and 4 spark plugs. Forget about the #s on your cap for now. your dizzy rotor should point as the image shows and the flywheel indicator points to the TDC line, then you are TDC on the Compression stroke. You can confirm by removing the #1 spark plug and probing inside with screwdriver to see that the piston is all the way to the top. With someone holding the screwdriver straight up and down and touching the top of the piston, another person can turn the crank by hand, or pull the flywheel back and forth just a little. this will move the piston up and down a little and you can confirm that the piston is at the top.

If you are doing a valve job while the motor is not running, you'll need to put the motor on TDC compression stroke and adjust the valves specified. Then other valves are adjusted when you rotate the flywheel around again and get on the line but the rotor is pointing away from the motor.

If you are just working on the dizzy and have to pull it out, just take a picture of the rotor position and put it back the same way. Realize that the rotor will rotate a little when you pull it out and put it back in. this is because of the gear at the bottom that has curved teeth that meshes with the camshaft.
Thank you. My rotor does point in that direction when the number 1 cylinder is at TDC compression. One more question. When I take my old dizzy out now, I must obviously point the rotor on my new dizzy to the exact same position as the old one before dropping it in, right?

If you were removing and installing an OEM (toyota distributor for the 2F) that is exactly what you want to do. Please read the instructions I posted earlier. Because the gear teeth are twisted you need to engage the gear teeth with the rotor pointing the the #3 spark plug (in the head) and as the distributor drops into place the rotor will rotate counter clockwise to point to #4.

However you seem to be installing an aftermarket (non-toyota) distributor. It would be good to know what installation instructions come with that distributor or at least which one it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom