Distributor component identification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On the underside of my distributor, near the vacuum advance (line to the carb) is a new looking (shiney) round electrical thing...has 1 small wire (black/yellow) coming from it which is cut and goes nowhere. Can anyone advise me of what this is and where the wire should go? The picture is looking up from under the engine. Thanks
20200228_174310-1-1.jpg

Condenser (capacitor). Supposed to be connected in the primary system to reduce arcing when the points open and prolong life of the points. It probably was originally connected at the primary connection of the distributor (IIRC, these was an insulated connection on the side of the distributor). It looks as if your distributor has been modified.

Last edited:
@SoapyD

You should indicate your month/year of manufacture.

Additionally, any modifications from original. Like @spotcruiser mentioned, your ignition system is likely modified from original.

Last edited:
Condenser (capacitor). Supposed to be connected in the primary system to reduce arcing when the points open and prolong life of the points. It probably was originally connected at the primary connection of the distributor (IIRC, these was an insulated connection on the side of the distributor). It looks as if your distributor has been modified.
Thanks for your help....
Thanks for your input Geezer. ..."modified" is so generous of you.

If it's still there, the plaque on the drivers A pillar would have the month/year.

Pop the cap off the distributor to confirm it has been changed from points to electronic (like Pertronix).

You could also post a picture of where the center wire from your distributor goes to.
I assume the black and red wires going to the dist. pic 1 (that change to black&white) @ the next pic 2
20200228_194945.jpg
(holding) going to the dist. indicate that its been changed to electronic...(I have no clue what Pertronix is) pic included.
The A pillar tag is gone...
Center wire from dist. goes to 12v oil filled
Wire he'd by pinky finger is center di
20200228_200055.jpg
d coil.

I assume the black and red wires going to the dist. pic 1 (that change to black&white) @ the next pic 2 View attachment 2224598(holding) going to the dist. indicate that its been changed to electronic...(I have no clue what Pertronix is) pic included.
The A pillar tag is gone...
Center wire from dist. goes to 12v oil filled
Wire he'd by pinky finger is center diView attachment 2224599d coil.
*center wire from the distributor goes to the coil...2nd pic

@SoapyD

Yes, you have electronic ignition, the module inside the distributor replaced the original breaker points.

The condenser in your original post was required for the points, but not for your current arrangement. You can remove it if you can get to the screw, but if you do, replace the screw since it likely plugs the threaded hole into the innards of your distributor.

Looks like 6/71 according to the frame no.

Yeah, I didn't notice the FJ43. ;) Just looked at the number.

I'm pretty sure a 2F engine wasn't stock in 1971.

I imagine FJ43 frame numbers may be a different sequence than FJ40's.

@SoapyD

Yes, you have electronic ignition, the module inside the distributor replaced the original breaker points.

The condenser in your original post was required for the points, but not for your current arrangement. You can remove it if you can get to the screw, but if you do, replace the screw since it likely plugs the threaded hole into the innards of your distributor.
Thank you sir...I will now eliminate both the obsolete part and my worries of a bare wire.

While I have you silver stars plugged in...can you enlighten me on the "missing vacuum line" on the carb..? TIA
20200228_214501.jpg

Idle compensator for AC. Non US air cleaner and intake manifold as well. Goes along with the H41 of your build tag.

Idle compensator for AC. Non US air cleaner and intake manifold as well. Goes along with the H41 of your build tag.
Could this idle compensator for the AC, which has no vacuum line to it, (truck no longer has AC) cause the cruiser to starve for gas at start up and for a few miles...and very seldom get a backfire thru the carb...in addition the exhaust smells like it is running rich. '81 non-US model...Thanks for any insight, Chris 832-970-3032

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom