Dissent Front Bumper Install with Come Up 12.5 winch... what am I missing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I ordered an ultra high clearance bumper from Dissent as well as a Come Up 12.5 winch awhile back. I finally had time to unpack the crate/work on the land cruiser this week. I have fastened the winch to the center bumper support and placed the center support on the main brackets that bolt to the frame rails. I dry fit the whole bumper (minus the winch) prior to drilling the holes and everything seemed to fit pretty good. Now, with the winch installed, the top back side/bar of the winch strikes a support bracket for the old bumper/grill. I didn't see anyone mention cutting this bracket to make it fit... what am I doing wrong? In the few pictures I have seen in threads that are clear enough; every bumper seems snug up on the rails. I tried giving Dissent a ring today but it seems they were busy. I'm hoping to be able to get this buttoned up over the weekend so I can clear out the shop and hopefully hit some trails next week.

I assume the main support brackets that attach to the rails are supposed to be snug on the bottom of the rail, is that a good assumption? I have tried one spacer on each side already and it seemed I am maybe still 1/4"-1/2" too tall. It appears as though I would have to have the main brackets sitting below/not flush with the frame rails on the bottom to be able to get the winch/center section to mount. That can't be right, can it? Should I just cut the little support section down and mount the winch/bumper that way?

And as far as the fog lights (I ordered the Rigid 6" from Dissent); I'm assuming most folks just cut off the old fog light plug and install the new plug from Rigid in its place? On the wiring diagram it seems the red/black is the hot wire coming from the relay to the fog lights and the white/black is to ground... I'll match those up with the Rigid wires and hopefully just be able to call it good after splicing the new connector into the old wiring.

Also, what is therelay/switch/whatever that was stuffed into the stock bumper support on the driver's side? I disconnected it at the plug to pull the old bumper support off but it is kind of wedged into it the support still and I haven't removed the item. I will pull it out and reconnect it/see if it has any marks on it; I just don't know what it is for.

So I ordered an ultra high clearance bumper from Dissent as well as a Come Up 12.5 winch awhile back. I finally had time to unpack the crate/work on the land cruiser this week. I have fastened the winch to the center bumper support and placed the center support on the main brackets that bolt to the frame rails. I dry fit the whole bumper (minus the winch) prior to drilling the holes and everything seemed to fit pretty good. Now, with the winch installed, the top back side/bar of the winch strikes a support bracket for the old bumper/grill. I didn't see anyone mention cutting this bracket to make it fit... what am I doing wrong? In the few pictures I have seen in threads that are clear enough; every bumper seems snug up on the rails. I tried giving Dissent a ring today but it seems they were busy. I'm hoping to be able to get this buttoned up over the weekend so I can clear out the shop and hopefully hit some trails next week.

I assume the main support brackets that attach to the rails are supposed to be snug on the bottom of the rail, is that a good assumption? I have tried one spacer on each side already and it seemed I am maybe still 1/4"-1/2" too tall. It appears as though I would have to have the main brackets sitting below/not flush with the frame rails on the bottom to be able to get the winch/center section to mount. That can't be right, can it? Should I just cut the little support section down and mount the winch/bumper that way?

And as far as the fog lights (I ordered the Rigid 6" from Dissent); I'm assuming most folks just cut off the old fog light plug and install the new plug from Rigid in its place? On the wiring diagram it seems the red/black is the hot wire coming from the relay to the fog lights and the white/black is to ground... I'll match those up with the Rigid wires and hopefully just be able to call it good after splicing the new connector into the old wiring.

Also, what is therelay/switch/whatever that was stuffed into the stock bumper support on the driver's side? I disconnected it at the plug to pull the old bumper support off but it is kind of wedged into it the support still and I haven't removed the item. I will pull it out and reconnect it/see if it has any marks on it; I just don't know what it is for.
I had to cut off a section of that support bracket to make a Zeon 12/S fit….just cut off whatever you need to man, understand not everyone will mention every small detail like that.

For the fog lights—that might work, but a safer bet would be to use the old fog light wiring to trigger a relay that brings power from the battery.

I had to cut off a section of that support bracket to make a Zeon 12/S fit….just cut off whatever you need to man, understand not everyone will mention every small detail like that.
Same here, I had to cut a portion of the support bracket as well. I suggest adding a little paint on the edges after cutting to prevent it from rusting.

Thank you for the replies! I don't see myself ever going back to a stock bumper but I also don't want to just start hacking things up that are welded to the vehicle if it's not necessary for what I'm trying to accomplish. I'll get out there today to cut it, grind down any sharp edges, and then just as suggested get some primer/paint on the edges of the bracket.

Hopefully while the paint dries I'll finish up the fog lights and tomorrow I'll get it all set up.

As for the fog lights and using another relay; I'll have to read up on why that is a safer bet. I'm not doubting you, saucebox, just my knowledge of electrical systems is rudimentary and I don't grasp why using another relay for less current draw is any safer. If down the road I start adding more electrical things I'd like to have a better understanding of "why" some things are done so I can maybe avoid any wiring issues/electrical gremlins.

The safest way is absolutely to use the smaller gauge wire to pick the relay, then a larger gauge wire to power the light through the relay contacts that get made.

Same here, I had to cut a portion of the support bracket as well. I suggest adding a little paint on the edges after cutting to prevent it from rusting.
Good point. I remove that whole bracket and sprayed it as well before reinstalling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom