Discussion: Pirate VS. Ih8mud (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think most everyone who frequents Ih8mud also hits Pirate. I've noticed that when doing a search, I have to wade through a lot less flaming crap here vs. Pirate (thus I am able to find my info a lot faster, without all that wasted much in the way), and there is certianly no trade-off for tech information (if anything, this site sports a lot better LC info).

I've also noticed that the Pirate LC board is a lot more mild than, say, Pirate's Gen4X4.

Are we LC owners just more tolerant of Newbies? Or are the LC Newbs that end up with here still pretty damn knowledgeable?

Personally, I've never been a fan of flaming, I see it as rude and un-needed. Every newb goes through the same learning curve, and we've all been there. A helpful example of how to search should be all that's needed.

Any comments on this?

I joined both pirate and mud originially and after about a month or so I have not been back to pirate unless its linked in a thread on mud. I found pirate to be to much junk and people from other forums and just not as fast and effective. Especially if I needed to know something about my pig. I think there are some newbs that know a lot my friend Marshal in Upstate Cruisers knows far more then I do and he is a newb to mud but he had his first cruiser long before mud existed and just got a new one which is why he joined. So I hold the fact that they are a newb with a grain of salt.

i joined pirate first, but i agree...it's too rude (and sexist), so i just check in, but don't spend time there or post often. i also hate the buggy craze, so it' snot my style

I joined por first... but I had also joined ih8mud. I forgot my username and had to start over again. But even when I didnt have an active account here I still would visit the boards a few times each month. It is a lot more tolerant here then over on por. they have a ton more traffic then we do here... plus we focus more on one vehicle rather then visiting more then one forum on the same board. I notice that people that like jeeps can also be seen over in the suzuki, rover, etc.. forums. plus i think hardcore cruiser folks are mostly more laid back then folks in other circles. I dont see a whole lot of competition between us. not like i do on other boards in non-cruiser forums.

Last edited:
If you google fj45lv or fj55 you wind up here or there.With woody adding forums for both ,and good bandwith i spend more time here.But i do worry about the asking the 45 guys if i should stay with a 454 or go to a 6Bt in the waggie.I think mods are more acceped on the other board.Well not with the hardcore crew.

I would also agree I have been using the marlin board with my 4runner and when found the pirate board about the same time, it alwys seemed that there were a few pirate users that get out of line with there comments, its not to be said that people don't post stupid questions or anything but a few too many people waste their time and everyone elses with the flame wars. When I got my pig about 6 months ago I found this site and don't ever recall seeing someone getting flamed, I am sure it has happend but not often. Keep up the positive replys everybody I can't thank you all enough for all the help I have recieved here at this site.

I was looking at a scout before I ever got my cruiser and I still check out the 80 and 800 series looking for one. I love those things. I spent some time on Pirate and then I found the Binder Forum and it was the same as mud just for that vehicle type and I liked it more than pirate the same as I do with mud. It is just an overall better vibe than Pirate.

i thought i posted an opinion here. how do you do that?

i thought i posted a reply here. puter says message to short.?

clemson55 said:
I was looking at a scout before I ever got my cruiser and I still check out the 80 and 800 series looking for one. I love those things. I spent some time on Pirate and then I found the Binder Forum and it was the same as mud just for that vehicle type and I liked it more than pirate the same as I do with mud. It is just an overall better vibe than Pirate.

I had a Scout II for a bit. The drivetrain was stout, but the rust was awfull. I still like them.

Try out:

www.justinternationals.org

It's a Local club near me, but they have some good stuff on thier site too.

madoc1 said:

Hey Madoc1, you did post it, but you accidentally put it on the wrong thread, here. ;)

Last edited:
I got to check one of those out once. Pretty cool. Gutless, but cool. I wouldn't turn one down either.

Yes, there's the flame-factor on Pirate, I don't post there much, lots of lurking, though: some good info there, as well as here. My last truck was a Jeepster Commando, and I have always liked the old Travelalls, Nissan Patrols, all the old-school s***, so I browse all the forums from time to time. What troubles me is some of the near neo-nazi stuff I read from time to time there (in Chat, mostly): are these people really thinking this stuff, or are they just trying to shake things up? Scary. Stick to talking about your rigs, keep politics out.

Nial

This thread is pretty much chit chat, but what the heck.

I started on Pirates but found the mindset a little numbing, hard core is one thing but plain rude and language that did not turn my crank pushed me away.

People are far more respectful and questions can be asked without having your head ripped off.

Just my two canuck pennies.

I dont have a problem with the politics even, they have that in chat as well here. But they respect everyones opinions thats that difference.

ppillard said:
madoc1 said:
Hey Madoc1, you did post it, but you accidentally put it on the wrong thread, here. ;)

:rolleyes: Dang newbies :rolleyes:

:D

I'm registered on both sites as well. I found the POR site before I found IH8MUD. The vast majority of my time is spent here...I do lurk on POR from time to time, but it's rare that I'll post anything there.

I post on both boards, but I prefer this one. I visit pirates everyday because it has a lot of info about the Rubicon and California Runs. I much prefer the atmosphere here though. ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom