Disadvantages of buying a Lexus LX570 over a 200 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You'd get the hideous Lexus grille. And with a 60 series, who needs either one?

Edit: Oh, I see you just sold your 60 after 20 years. :frown:

Last edited:
I think the biggest is aftermarket support. I think a lot of the front and rear bumpers will work on both but there are no sliders for it other than Slee and they seem to be permanently out of stock, not even sure they still make them. Also it has the AHC system which I personally love, but it cannot be easily removed like the 100 series. So you cannot get an aftermarket lift for it and you would have to fix the AHC system if it ever had issues. The AHC on my 100 is still great after 21 years and I heard the 200 series is even better.

All that said I have both an LX470 and LX570. My wife has the 570 and loves it. Quietest and best riding vehicle I have ever owned. There were more of them made so they are easier to find and cheaper. The LX also gets the enhanced creature comforts first, so our 09 has cooled seats, which didn’t happen until a few years later in the TLC.

I see that Lexus recommends that premium fuel be run but isn't that the same motor as the Land Cruiser and the tundra which takes regular gas?

Lexus = effeminate
Land Cruiser = masculine

I debate this constantly. I like AHC for passenger comfort. I like racing coilovers for driver feel. I don't know why but scratching a LX feels wrong. I want a truck not a primadonna.

I see that Lexus recommends that premium fuel be run but isn't that the same motor as the Land Cruiser and the tundra which takes regular gas?

This question will get some of us going more than an oil thread.. FYI.

Yes it asks for premium vs the RUG in the tundra/cruiser, yes it has 2 more horsepower (0.5% difference).. but plenty of LX570 owners have run RUG for collectively millions of miles without issue, the LX has the exact same displacement and compression ratio, and so far no one has proven that there is anything substantially different about the tuning that would -require- premium fuel. Just speculation.

It could be as simple as lexus wanting this vehicle to fit under their umbrella, fuel types and all. it could be some undetectable difference in the spark curves.. that resulted in almost no power or torque or other difference in how they run.

It seems you can run whichever fuel you want, but lexus requires premium, for whatever that's worth.

For me it was the LX. Love it. Less money than a preowned TLC and loaded with more features. The AHC is great.

Regarding the premium fuel. How much do you drive and if you are spending this kind of money you can afford an extra $6 a fill. The difference in the two motors is tuning of the ECU with different timing maps for octane. It will likely run fine on any gas as the ECU adjusts itself.

An LX is a 200 series. Stock for stock a LX is more capable.

Drive both. it’s up to you I’d scratch either one off-road

Reactions: HGB
There is no disadvantage over the 200 except for the sliders. The adjustable suspension makes it truly dual purpose. If you are building a full double shock system for wheeling, then get a beater 200. For day to day highway trail and mall cruising there is no better choice. I drop my suspension for parking garages and raise it in seconds for the roof rack.

The UR engine has several variants with different torque specs. But at around 12:1 compression, I use premium. (Another factor is where the engine is made given the track record of the US made V8.)

What would be the disadvantages to buying the Lexus 570 over the 200 series Land Cruiser?

Thanks

You might feel guilty because of how others perceive you,
and you might feel guilty because it's too nice with all the features and accouterments,
and you might feel guilty that you can get more value for your dollar in the used market.

Forget the feels. If you flat out want the best stock for stock, objectively better, top of the line 200-series, go for the LX.

If you are a purist and want a certain style and image, than you're going to pay more for a LC to get less.

The price difference will likely be repaid if you ever go to sell it, fwiw.

But.. I agree with most here. Stock for stock the LX is more capable and comfortable (excluding 16+ LX with the bad approach and departure angle). It's if you go modding either one that they diverge.. though less now than they used to.

The difference in the two motors is tuning of the ECU with different timing maps for octane.

Still waiting for this to be backed up with evidence..

Yes it asks for premium vs the RUG in the tundra/cruiser, yes it has 2 more horsepower (0.5% difference).. but plenty of LX570 owners have run RUG for collectively millions of miles without issue, the LX has the exact same displacement and compression ratio, and so far no one has proven that there is anything substantially different about the tuning that would -require- premium fuel. Just speculation.

The burden of proof is on you to dispute that there is no difference.

Lexus has told us there is a difference in power rating. They have stated different fuel requirements. They have strongly worded cautions in the manual, an artifact that is driven by engineering and not marketing. There is evidence and knowledge of calibration differences for the same hardware pervasive in the industry for even minor things like CA state emissions where we have tighter emissions laws than federal. Lexus would have a different calibration by virtue of being tuned for a luxury clientele. Tundra too as it has different curb weight and target audience. All driven by software.

Lexus = effeminate
Land Cruiser = masculine

I debate this constantly. I like AHC for passenger comfort. I like racing coilovers for driver feel. I don't know why but scratching a LX feels wrong. I want a truck not a primadonna.

Is this for real? They are 95% the same truck and both cost $80k+ new but scratching one over the other is more manly?

Is this for real? They are 95% the same truck and both cost $80k+ new but scratching one over the other is more manly?

No, just overall look is more soccer momish. AHC disconnects too much feeling from the road (some ghys like that, others want feedback). The Lexus looks/feels more sophisticated inside/out. There are board members who have scratched theirs up proudly. I don't think I could get myself to do that on an LX570 (mind you I have on my LX470). Maybe its more coats of paint/gloss. But KO2s with RW wheels, arb bumpers, sliders, etc look a bit comical on LX. Both are great machines and ahc on LX is very admirable esp from on road perspective with LT tires. If I wasn't looking for an electric motor (microbus/rivian) it would have been my 2nd car.

But at around 12:1 compression, I use premium.

Do you get a different version there? The USDM 3UR-FE in Landcruisers, LX570, Tundra, and Sequoia are all 10.5:1.

The burden of proof is on you to dispute that there is no difference.

Hey I'm not claiming any special knowledge of toyota's LX570 tuning, you guys are. I'm seeing assumptions presented as facts in this thread.

Here's another assumption for your fact pile.. If all toyota could do with the jump from RUG to Premium was 0.5% hp/tq (which is well within the margin of error, by the way).. I'd lose some respect for them.

No, just overall look is more soccer momish. AHC disconnects too much feeling from the road (some ghys like that, others want feedback). The Lexus looks/feels more sophisticated inside/out. There are board members who have scratched theirs up proudly. I don't think I could get myself to do that on an LX570 (mind you I have on my LX470). Maybe its more coats of paint/gloss. But KO2s with RW wheels, arb bumpers, sliders, etc look a bit comical on LX. Both are great machines and ahc on LX is very admirable esp from on road perspective with LT tires. If I wasn't looking for an electric motor (microbus/rivian) it would have been my 2nd car.
Funny up here in AK the suburban hockey (or soccer) moms (or dads) all drive LCs. It’s all the big L off road, There are a few really nice built out LX and GX in the off road crowd. I beat the crap out of my LX off road and it is OEM other then 33” KO2s on 18s

Do you get a different version there? The USDM 3UR-FE in Landcruisers, LX570, Tundra, and Sequoia are all 10.5:1.

Hey I'm not claiming any special knowledge of toyota's LX570 tuning, you guys are. I'm seeing assumptions presented as facts in this thread.

Here's another assumption for your fact pile.. If all toyota could do with the jump from RUG to Premium was 0.5% hp/tq (which is well within the margin of error, by the way).. I'd lose some respect for them.

It's actually 10.2:1 on the 3UR. The 2UR had 11.8:1 and currently at 12.3:1 in the latest version.

My 2019 LC200 has a premium only (98 RON / 94 US) sticker and everyone I know is either running regular (95 RON / 91 US) or even "E plus" (91 RON / 88 US) with no issues. As others have said, the tune adjusts itself whenever it detects knock due to the lower octane and its extremely conservative in the first place. I personally run regular on my LC200 and Premium on my TT Tundra (8.5:1 compression @ 17 psi of boost).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom