Dirtgypsy goes SOA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I started the SOA on the Silver Surfer. Didn't get as far as I wanted to this weekend but I at least got started. Both axles pulled, one diff re-geared and ARB'd, and parts laid out for tomorrow's work:

059.jpg

Still need to cut off SR to go back to stock front shackle hanger:

061.jpg

Been collecting parts for a bit:

055.jpg

Stock spring packs and clearanced cross member ready for rebuild:

056.jpg

My goal is to have this buttoned up and drivable by April 18th for the annual Tillamook Forest SOLV cleanup. Still lots of work obviously.

Plan so far is:

SOA on add-a-leaf stock springs front and rear
4.88's ARB'd x2
Rancho 5 way shocks with Ford Towers
4 plus anti-inversion shackles stock length
SOA axle pads and u-bolts/ plates by Ruffstuff
Ruffstuff Trac-bar
C & T front axle by Mike
Re- tubed early CV style drivelines front and rear
Marlin High Steer
Longfields
35" BFG KM2's
15x10 Allied Beadlocks

I wanted 37's but with the trade off in cost to go to 35's I was able to buy the Long's. I may not keep the beadlocks as I would rather run 15x8 wheels but it is what I traded by beloved old skool slot mags for.

I will have some more updates in the next two days as Mike aka boots is coming by with his grinder and knowlege on monday and tuesday.

I am feeling a little this: :D

and a little like this: :frown:

Clint

Keep the pics coming. It's a great project. Enjoy!

What are you doing with the Pittman arm? I found that it worked better to use an 80 series one.

Your right Drew it is a great project just a bit overwhelming when I pull into the drive and see the truck on stilts.

As for the pitman arm yes I have an 80 series arm and the one that came with the Marlin kit.

After looking at your pics and digging through pages and pages of SOA threads I am wondering if it was the angle that killed Chicago's pitman arm vs the cast/ forged theory? Not sure maybe just over thinking it.

I will do my best with pics this go around I just need to remember to charge the battery and bring it out to the garage.

Clint

I'm subscribed!! This looks like exactly the setup I'm going to be running. Good luck!

Afterwards you are are going to be like: :D:bounce2::D:bounce::grinpimp:

It seriously is going to be a different truck in a week or two with all those great parts and it will be fun. Hope you were able to get some sleep today cause tomorrow is going to be a long day.

RIGHT ON!
You are SOOOOOO going to love it. It was the BEST thing that I had done thus far on my rig.
That and lockers.

Im way excited for you man.
Wheel the 35's a bit, and you might find theyre just right for you.

Chicago

I'm subscribed!! This looks like exactly the setup I'm going to be running. Good luck!

thank you!!

Nice parts pile....

Looks like you are off to a great start!

What are the lengths of the new shocks pictured?

The shocks are 12" travel front and rear. My plan on the front is to cut the towers down by and inch or so and run my shocks out from where most people have them mounted from previous SOA builds. I am trying to stay away from sheet metal mods on this truck as much as possible. The rears will be traditional upper mounts with ruffstuff lowers.

thanks mel lowe!

Afterwards you are are going to be like: :D:bounce2::D:bounce::grinpimp:

It seriously is going to be a different truck in a week or two with all those great parts and it will be fun. Hope you were able to get some sleep today cause tomorrow is going to be a long day.

logged about 9 hrs straight at work last night and am praying to God that I get at least 4 tonight.

see you bright and early. post pics of the diff from this weekend when you get the chance!

RIGHT ON!
You are SOOOOOO going to love it. It was the BEST thing that I had done thus far on my rig.
That and lockers.

Im way excited for you man.
Wheel the 35's a bit, and you might find theyre just right for you.

Chicago

Thanks Chicago! You and Mike are my biggest inspiration to take on this mod.

I do hope the 35's are the ticket. Most I have talked to agree for a family wagon double locked on 35's will get me to more places I can imagine and back. Just with the 33's and single locker was like night and day.

How many days till Rubithon?

Clint :cheers:

Clint, I can't wait to see it this year at Mcgrew, if you make it, or if I even make it this year. Anyways looks great. If you are still thinking about going a different direction with your rear bumper let me know.

Josh

Clint, I can't wait to see it this year at Mcgrew, if you make it, or if I even make it this year. Anyways looks great. If you are still thinking about going a different direction with your rear bumper let me know.

Josh

Hey Josh! I will be at McGrew this year and hope to see you guys there. I am sure our kids would like to hang out and play trucks again! I hope the move into the new place went well and you are enjoying it! How many days till fire season?

As far as the bumper I am ready to pull it and get started on a new one but not till this is done or I am in a spot waiting on parts. My current one is still on hold for you when you are ready!

The easy part is done.

Since some have already done what you are undertaking, you may ask them to measure thier driveshafts and go ahead and have yours made up so they are ready when you are ready.

I would like nothing more than to do that however..... I have yet to find anyone with a 85-87 with stock 2F / H55F SOA truck. They are either on FJ62's, or early non spacer 60's.

If I am wrong then please post up specs as I would really like to not have to wait a week for drivelines!!

Clint

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the H55 is the same length as the H41 4speed in the 85-87 rigs. They changed from the H41 with a spacer in late 84.

Iron Giant is or did build one, OrangeFJ45 would know for sure if it is complete.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the H55 is the same length as the H41 4speed in the 85-87 rigs.

That is right just has a spacer bolted on it but all the H41 transmissions are the same size.

Glad you started a buildup thread Clint. I am thinking about a SOA.

I would wait and measure before you cut your driveshafts. It is not worth the money to have to take them back if something is not right. Depending on what springs others are running yours could be slightly different. The driveshaft shop I use always has turned mine around in 2 days.

thank you!!

The shocks are 12" travel front and rear. My plan on the front is to cut the towers down by and inch or so and run my shocks out from where most people have them mounted from previous SOA builds. I am trying to stay away from sheet metal mods on this truck as much as possible. The rears will be traditional upper mounts with ruffstuff lowers.

thanks mel lowe!

logged about 9 hrs straight at work last night and am praying to God that I get at least 4 tonight.

see you bright and early. post pics of the diff from this weekend when you get the chance!

Thanks Chicago! You and Mike are my biggest inspiration to take on this mod.

I do hope the 35's are the ticket. Most I have talked to agree for a family wagon double locked on 35's will get me to more places I can imagine and back. Just with the 33's and single locker was like night and day.

How many days till Rubithon?

Clint :cheers:

Nice.
Im glad that I could inspire someone!
Youve got a GREAT start and have all the necessary parts together already, so it should go SMOOOOOTH!

Cant wait to see it come together.
Ill hopefully see/ meet you at Rubithon.
Still on the fence about going...

Chicago

Hey Josh! I will be at McGrew this year and hope to see you guys there. I am sure our kids would like to hang out and play trucks again! I hope the move into the new place went well and you are enjoying it! How many days till fire season?

As far as the bumper I am ready to pull it and get started on a new one but not till this is done or I am in a spot waiting on parts. My current one is still on hold for you when you are ready!

PM Enroute, so not to Hijack.

Josh

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the H55 is the same length as the H41 4speed in the 85-87 rigs. They changed from the H41 with a spacer in late 84.

Iron Giant is or did build one, OrangeFJ45 would know for sure if it is complete.

85-87 4spd or H55F is the same

Damn, I am going to have to yank those wheels for you and get them purdy. :)

You know they are 15x10s, right? I will double check.

I do know they are 15X10's and am hoping they space out o.k. I am pretty sure they will be fine. The BFG website shows that the km2's will work with 8-10" wheels.

Feel free to stop by with the diesel when you pick it up!!

That is right just has a spacer bolted on it but all the H41 transmissions are the same size.

Glad you started a buildup thread Clint. I am thinking about a SOA.

I would wait and measure before you cut your driveshafts. It is not worth the money to have to take them back if something is not right. Depending on what springs others are running yours could be slightly different. The driveshaft shop I use always has turned mine around in 2 days.

Agreed. After doing some quick measures and talking it over with Mike I am leaning towards running stock rear driveline with CV front. I will post up as it gets closer!

Would really like to meet you at the Rubithon!

Nice.
Im glad that I could inspire someone!
Youve got a GREAT start and have all the necessary parts together already, so it should go SMOOOOOTH!

Cant wait to see it come together.
Ill hopefully see/ meet you at Rubithon.
Still on the fence about going...

Chicago

I would like to meet you at the Rubithon as well! You can give me heck for the manual and carbonator and I can give it back for the four eyes and slosh box!:flipoff2:

Mike stopped by right on schedule and we got right to work.

He started on the springs:

029.jpg

I got started on the front axle:

024.jpg

Air tools are a great thing!

026.jpg

Front SR cut off:

032.jpg

Axle cleaned up a bit and initial cut for C-N-T done:

027.jpg

Always a good day when fire is involved:

031.jpg

Spring packs done:

034.jpg

So far a very good start. Mike will be by in the AM to get ready to set the front axle. I am pretty sure that with all we accomplished today we will be able to set the rear as well. Once it is all tacked into place and perches set I will pull, clean, weld in and paint.

Still lots to do but feeling a bit more: :bounce:

Rain has not dampened the mood so far!

More up tomorrow!

Clint

you could always do a square driveshaft in the front. I did it to mine and was driving 50mph around my friends shop with no vibrations.

50 mph seems realllly fast for a square driveshaft. I inherited one from a parts rig. Is it well greased or built really well? What makes it be able to handle such high speeds? I always thought square shafts were loud and only for low crawling speeds. Pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom