Diode Dynamics SS3 LED Pods - Experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ah ok thank you

I’m getting a bumper that takes 2 pairs of pods so I wanted an amber set and a white set I just wanted to figure out which configuration would be best. I wanted a white set and a amber set.
I am also going to need 2 pairs SSC2 pro floods for camping/over landing. So I might get the SSC2 pro in amber and swap the lenses to clear floods

Another option is to get the clear lens but with the optional yellow cover. It's like $10 per cover? I think it's an inexpensive way to see if you like the yellow or white light better. Although again, the color temperature won't be like buying the actual 3k's.

I also have 2 sets of ss3 pro's in 3k on my front bumper. One is sae fog and the other is the driving combo. I love yellow/amber in all conditions! I have noticed the bluer the light the more I notice eye fatigue after driving several hours. I even changed out my 6k hid's for 4500k's too.

I know I'm late to the party but I wanted to mention for amber fogs you have a perfect solution that does not involve any cutting if you don't want to. Bought a ton of Rigid's products and they are all of the highest quality and the light output seems to be second to none so far in my experience. These lights in particular are brighter than you'd expect while not blinding the other drivers. I'll be going this route on our 470 if we don't replace the front bumper with a MetalTech. I'll get white though instead of amber.

I know I'm late to the party but I wanted to mention for amber fogs you have a perfect solution that does not involve any cutting if you don't want to. Bought a ton of Rigid's products and they are all of the highest quality and the light output seems to be second to none so far in my experience. These lights in particular are brighter than you'd expect while not blinding the other drivers. I'll be going this route on our 470 if we don't replace the front bumper with a MetalTech. I'll get white though instead of amber.

Those aren't SAE compliant and are for offroad use only so I would bet they will blind oncoming traffic while still being outperformed by Diode Dynamics. There is no better SAE fog light that can compete with Diode Dynamics at this time.

Those aren't SAE compliant and are for offroad use only so I would bet they will blind oncoming traffic while still being outperformed by Diode Dynamics. There is no better SAE fog light that can compete with Diode Dynamics at this time.

👍

Another option is to get the clear lens but with the optional yellow cover. It's like $10 per cover? I think it's an inexpensive way to see if you like the yellow or white light better. Although again, the color temperature won't be like buying the actual 3k's.

I also have 2 sets of ss3 pro's in 3k on my front bumper. One is sae fog and the other is the driving combo. I love yellow/amber in all conditions! I have noticed the bluer the light the more I notice eye fatigue after driving several hours. I even changed out my 6k hid's for 4500k's too.

So I ended up ordering the following

1 pair of SS3 pro Fogs in amber

1 pair of pro fogs in white

And

2 pair of SSC2 pro amber flood with amber back lighting since these have the 4000k led diodes. I’m going to swap out the lenses for clear flood lenses. These will be my L/R side area light for camping

1 pair of SSC2 pro white flood with red back lighting and I’m swapping the lenses out for amber flood lenses these will be used as chase lights

I wanted to update here: I have installed two pairs of DD SS3 Pods in the fog location. The performance is great. The fitment was tricky.

I have yellow SS3 Pro fog lamps inboard (and slightly forward) of white SS3 Pro driving lamps outboard in the sets. Fitting one set was easy. Fitting two sets took some cutting and shimming to get clearance and (relatively) level the lights. I have the fogs on the stock fog switch, and the driving lights are tapped into the high beam wires, so they come on with the high beams. Since I have switched my high beams to LEDs, also, the total draw of both the high beams and the SS3 Pros is about the same current draw as halogen lamps. The stock circuit and fuse work fine.
I know this post is a little old, but I'm looking to do something similar to this on my GX. How did you wire the pods to your factory wiring? Did you use a Deutsch plug from the pod and cut the factory plug off and splice the Deutsch adapter to the factory wires? Or did you use some sort of adapter with both ends on them already. I know Deutsch adapters exist out there somewhere but I can't figure out what size the male end of the factory fog light harness is to match them up.

I know this post is a little old, but I'm looking to do something similar to this on my GX. How did you wire the pods to your factory wiring? Did you use a Deutsch plug from the pod and cut the factory plug off and splice the Deutsch adapter to the factory wires? Or did you use some sort of adapter with both ends on them already. I know Deutsch adapters exist out there somewhere but I can't figure out what size the male end of the factory fog light harness is to match them up.
I personally don’t like cutting the factory wires. I ordered another connector like the end that was on my old fog light and connected it to the pods. This way it’s plug and play to original wiring on vehicle

I personally don’t like cutting the factory wires. I ordered another connector like the end that was on my old fog light and connected it to the pods. This way it’s plug and play to original wiring on vehicle

Do you know what size that plug is? The bulb is an H3 but that goes inside the housing. The plug on the outside of the housing is what you matched up, correct?

Do you know what size that plug is? The bulb is an H3 but that goes inside the housing. The plug on the outside of the housing is what you matched up, correct?
Yes correct, the plug on outside of housing. You can get something like this and then cut the end you don’t need to connect your pod.

C1143796-9EF1-4BE5-9460-2C82D226FC26.jpeg

Looking to purchase some of these. Using the wiring harness that comes with it, they would act just like fog lights. Is it possible to retain factory fog function, but also add in the back light function from the factory DRL? Or the only way to get the backlit function is using the DD harness (or make my own).

Looking to purchase some of these. Using the wiring harness that comes with it, they would act just like fog lights. Is it possible to retain factory fog function, but also add in the back light function from the factory DRL? Or the only way to get the backlit function is using the DD harness (or make my own).

So here is my new dilemma. Ordered the SS3 PRO pods. I want to use them in conjunction with my fog lights. Basically add them into the stock fog light circuit, so they come on with my fog lights. They are 36W, 2.7A. Can I just add them into the the stock fog wiring? I've read some posts saying 55W are ok on the stock wiring. I could also get LED fogs to reduce the total amperage. Stock Fog wiring has a 15A fuse so it seems like it should work but I'd also like to not melt wiring.

Edit: might just replace the stock fogs entirely. seems they get overpowered anyways.

Also any problems using the blue DD wire to tap into the DRL/turn signal wiring to have them act at DRL/Turn signals too? Back light is .4W/30mA.

Last edited:
2.7A is very little amperage so I see zero benefits to upgrading the wiring. The original halogen bulb (probably around 55w) would pull more current than the SS3 PROs.
Yes the stock halogen is 55w and the SS3 Pro are 36W so I'm just going to connect to the factory wiring and replace the stock fogs. I'm working on taking apart the fog housings to mount them inside the stock housings. I don't like the look of them just sitting in the bumper.

I'm working on taking apart the fog housings to mount them inside the stock housings. I don't like the look of them just sitting in the bumper.

I'm doing the same thing currently. I have a set of SS3 PROs and some new eBay fog lights that I'll sacrifice to the oven. My only concern is the lack of airflow (fogs might get quite hot) inside the sealed fog light housings.

I'm doing the same thing currently. I have a set of SS3 PROs and some new eBay fog lights that I'll sacrifice to the oven. My only concern is the lack of airflow (fogs might get quite hot) inside the sealed fog light housings.
@binaryaudax and @IHTFP08 : Have you had any luck/progress with this project? Considering doing the same (SS3 in stock location). Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom