Diode Dynamics SS3 LED Pods - Experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If anyone is looking for a set of SS3 pods, I am offering them at 15% off retail until April 10! PM me to order.

Last edited:
I want to add to this a note about snow clearing from the SS3 Pods. They throw some heat and can clear snow, but unlike the earlier posted picture, the Fog optics have ridges, which hold the snow more. With the wet, slushy Spring snow, I am seeing some buildup on the Fog optics (I can't speak to other optics). However, the slush is the same across the entire nose of the truck, and I'm not sure anything would fully clear the slush thrown up by traffic right now. These aren't a silver bullet, but they are certainly the best I have seen.

20200301_171124228_iOS (2).jpg

I want to add to this a note about snow clearing from the SS3 Pods. They throw some heat and can clear snow, but unlike the earlier posted picture, the Fog optics have ridges, which hold the snow more. With the wet, slushy Spring snow, I am seeing some buildup on the Fog optics (I can't speak to other optics). However, the slush is the same across the entire nose of the truck, and I'm not sure anything would fully clear the slush thrown up by traffic right now. These aren't a silver bullet, but they are certainly the best I have seen.

View attachment 2251044
are those the sports or Pro's?

I can vouch for @ambiguous pricing! bought a couple of pairs!
Likewise. Great service and communication, even when these were back ordered for a while. He sent emails updating me on when other orders in the queue were going out, trying to estimate when mine would ship. Great stuff.

I odered mine from Ambiguous. No complaints! Great service. They shipped faster than expected. Awesome product.
I'll keep his contact info for future purchases.

The lights are outstanding! Totally satisfied and happy I went with the pros!

I wanted to update here: I have installed two pairs of DD SS3 Pods in the fog location. The performance is great. The fitment was tricky.

I have yellow SS3 Pro fog lamps inboard (and slightly forward) of white SS3 Pro driving lamps outboard in the sets. Fitting one set was easy. Fitting two sets took some cutting and shimming to get clearance and (relatively) level the lights. I have the fogs on the stock fog switch, and the driving lights are tapped into the high beam wires, so they come on with the high beams. Since I have switched my high beams to LEDs, also, the total draw of both the high beams and the SS3 Pros is about the same current draw as halogen lamps. The stock circuit and fuse work fine.

20200704_001849209_iOS (2).jpg

20200704_003023133_iOS (2).jpg

20200704_002956266_iOS (2).jpg

20200704_002959582_iOS (2).jpg

You could definitely do a better job than me, but this was a "get it done before the kid wakes up from her nap" job for me. Also, I plan to go with a new bumper eventually, so this isn't a permanent solution, anyway (famous last words, I know).

I set the driving lights back and tucked them behind the bezel of the fog lamps to get them to fit. The aiming is fine and I have great light coming out of them. I use them aimed at the edges of the road to illuminate animals on the sides of the roads and widen my viewing while driving. You can see the light comparison between the high beams and the Diode Dynamics SS3 Pros below:

20200625_155338891_iOS (2)_LI.jpg

I have 2 sets of the SS3 Pro Yellow SAE fogs and 2 sets of the SS3 Sport Yellow SAE fogs for immediate shipping if anyone is interested. Special pricing for ih8mud members. Thanks!

I keep reading about all the lens swaps on the ss3, but my question is the follow.
What light output is better in rain or dusty conditions?

ss3 pro 6k led (originally white) with a amber lens swap?

OR

SS3 pro 4K led (amber)?

I keep reading about all the lens swaps on the ss3, but my question is the follow.
What light output is better in rain or dusty conditions?

ss3 pro 6k led (originally white) with a amber lens swap?

OR

SS3 pro 4K led (amber)?

You want to go with the 4k amber light. If you search youtube for the ss3 from diode dynamics, they show the 6k with an amber lens swap and the color isn't as yellow.

The only time I would do a different temperature color and lens swap is for scene lighting..... 4k amber led with a clear lens. You get a much nicer warm white instead of harsh blue at night.

You want to go with the 4k amber light. If you search youtube for the ss3 from diode dynamics, they show the 6k with an amber lens swap and the color isn't as yellow.

The only time I would do a different temperature color and lens swap is for scene lighting..... 4k amber led with a clear lens. You get a much nicer warm white instead of harsh blue at night.
Ah ok thank you

I’m getting a bumper that takes 2 pairs of pods so I wanted an amber set and a white set I just wanted to figure out which configuration would be best. I wanted a white set and a amber set.
I am also going to need 2 pairs SSC2 pro floods for camping/over landing. So I might get the SSC2 pro in amber and swap the lenses to clear floods

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom