Diode Dynamics SS3 LED Pods - Experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Further reporting: Here you can see road illumination using only the fogs on my drive home last night. They basically have the range of low beams, but are much wider (and these are yellow, obviously). It's a pretty solid option for bad weather driving.

(Note: I've since aimed the driver's side down a bit more. No one flashed their brights at me, I just feel like they throw a lot of light and want to be courteous.)

That is some impressive performance! Just to confirm, you did get the "Pro" version, correct?

Those are pretty much the same as my Baja Design Pro with wide cornering, but with an actual cutoff. SOLD. I love my Baja Designs, but they blind people... so they'll be moved to the ditch lights, and I'll be getting some SS3's.

Thanks!

That is some impressive performance! Just to confirm, you did get the "Pro" version, correct?
That is correct. These are the SS3 LED Pods in Pro with the Yellow SAE Fog lens.

@ebbs15 Important to note is that these are Yellow not Amber if you are looking to match colors with other lights. DD offers their light bars in 2000K amber and their pods in 3000K yellow (I don't know why). However, DD offers interchangeable lens for $30, so my Pro Pods with Yellow SAE Fogs could be converted to white floods if I were to, say, change bumpers and wanted to move these onto ditch brackets in the future. (Which is exactly what I plan to do, coincidentally!) ****CORRECTION: The LED source for the yellows is a different source than the standard whites. Read below****

Last edited:
That is correct. These are the SS3 LED Pods in Pro with the Yellow SAE Fog lens.

@ebbs15 Important to note is that these are Yellow not Amber if you are looking to match colors with other lights. DD offers their light bars in amber and their pods in yellow (I don't know why). However, DD offers interchangeable lens for $30, so my Pro Pods with Yellow SAE Fogs could be converted to white floods if I were to, say, change bumpers and wanted to move these onto ditch brackets in the future. (Which is exactly what I plan to do, coincidentally!)

Yeah the Baja Designs would be going back to clear for the ditch lights. but thanks for the heads up.

I think @ambiguous inform me that SS3 fog LED are 4000K color. They use yellow to lower the color to 3000K. The amber are used to lower 6000k color to 3000k color. The yellow are more efficient and allows more light to pass through.

I think @ambiguous inform me that SS3 fog LED are 4000K color. They use yellow to lower the color to 3000K. The amber are used to lower 6000k color to 3000k color. The yellow are more efficient and allows more light to pass through.
Maybe I'll crack the lens bolts and take a look. I'll report back when I have a chance to check.

EDIT: @Jstawgn You are correct (which really means @ambiguous is correct, which... makes sense). From the Diode Dynamics website for the replacement lenses:

"Colors. SS3 LED pod lenses are available in clear material, producing white light, or a selective yellow filter. You can change the color of your lights by swapping out the lens, but please note that changing colors may not be perfect with these lenses, because different LEDs are used depending on the color of light you originally purchased.
If you purchased White pods originally, they have 6000K white emitters. Yellow SS3s come with 4000K emitters. If you purchase these replacement clear lenses and install on a pod that was originally yellow, the result will be a 4000K white color, as the 4000K LEDs shine through the clear lens. It will not match standard white SS3 pods, which are a 6000K white color. If 4000K white is what you're looking for though, this is a great way to achieve a custom color option!"

So there you have it. I was wrong that I would get the same white: the 3000K yellow can only be "cooled" to 4000K.

Last edited:
That 4000k color temperature are actually really good. Many people like 6000k color but it perform badly in bad weather.

I was willing to spend more on baja designs because they use 5000k LED but now 4000 k led is available they would perform better for me.

I wish i can switch out both of my squadron with SS3. I cannot use my squadron on the street at all. Unfortunately I need to concentrate on other things than light for now.

That 4000k color temperature are actually really good. Many people like 6000k color but it perform badly in bad weather.

I was willing to spend more on baja designs because they use 5000k LED but now 4000 k led is available they would perform better for me.

I wish i can switch out both of my squadron with SS3. I cannot use my squadron on the street at all. Unfortunately I need to concentrate on other things than light for now.
I agree, and honestly, I ran my Squadron Pro's on the street because they "yellowed" up the light from my headlights and reduced glare. I switched to a combo lens (Spot/cornering) and aimed them down (spot on top to help identify the cutoff) and that helped a lot, but they just have so much light coming out and without a proper cutoff I still got flashed about once every other drive. I hadn't put them on the Lexus yet because I was waiting for something more road friendly, and didn't like that baja's SAE was also less light output.

Damn looks like they're on back order, anxious to get mine...

but have a dual bi-xenon projector retrofit to keep me busy and light the way until then lol.

BTW, if anyone is looking to do a retrofit, or wants these Diode Dynamics LED's hit up @ambiguous he got me a great deal and they shipped fast (ordered the Retrofit stuff Wed, and it's arriving today.)

Damn looks like they're on back order, anxious to get mine...

but have a dual bi-xenon projector retrofit to keep me busy and light the way until then lol.

BTW, if anyone is looking to do a retrofit, or wants these Diode Dynamics LED's hit up @ambiguous he got me a great deal and they shipped fast (ordered the Retrofit stuff Wed, and it's arriving today.)

I emailed them about my order, and they are just awaiting updated packaging for the SS3's. Said it shouldn't be more than a few days, as of yesterday.

Also, not affiliated but neo-garage.com made an IG post saying they just got a shipment of the SS3's in stock. Use code DD20 for 20% off and free shipping. $240 for Pro's, $144 for regular.

I emailed them about my order, and they are just awaiting updated packaging for the SS3's. Said it shouldn't be more than a few days, as of yesterday.

Also, not affiliated but neo-garage.com made an IG post saying they just got a shipment of the SS3's in stock. Use code DD20 for 20% off and free shipping. $240 for Pro's, $144 for regular.

This is actually the same deal that Burt @ambiguous does. 20% and free shipping.

One last comparison. This is more about the general advantage of warmer color temps in precipitation and other airborne particles, but it highlights the cutoff performance. This is a comparison of headlights to the SS3 low beams in a snowstorm over the weekend.

First, low beams:
20200217_035808365_iOS (2).jpg

High beams:
20200217_040557805_iOS (2).jpg

Fog lamps:
20200217_040559501_iOS (2).jpg

Way less precipitation interference and snowblindness.

My pro's are out for delivery as I type. They'll be mounted this weekend... Retrofit too I hope, though still trying to decide if I want to paint or not... leaning towards painting. but we'll see... going to be a balmy 45 this weekend... fortunately most of the work can be done inside lol

One last comparison. This is more about the general advantage of warmer color temps in precipitation and other airborne particles, but it highlights the cutoff performance. This is a comparison of headlights to the SS3 low beams in a snowstorm over the weekend.

First, low beams:
View attachment 2214601

High beams:
View attachment 2214600

Fog lamps:
View attachment 2214604

Way less precipitation interference and snowblindness.
This brings up a good question. my Baja Designs would melt snow, only while still... not at speed... but my ridgids wouldn't melt s***. how do the SS3's do?

This brings up a good question. my Baja Designs would melt snow, only while still... not at speed... but my ridgids wouldn't melt s***. how do the SS3's do?
I saw this pic on another forum. Looks like the Pro's have no issues with snow buildup.
1582048145079.png

That is amazing if they actually could keep clear while driving! I've yet to see any LED's do that. picture makes it hard to see, but they look clear enough to me

Thanks!

Starting with a cold truck and lights (it lives outside), I drove for 35 minutes each way to the store in mid-teens temperatures (F, obviously), and about 2" fell in that time. I never lost lighting performance like I do when my LED headlamps start to ice over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom