Diesel Idle Speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone got any idea why my diesel's idle is slowly increasing. lately it feels like i still got my foot half way down on the accelerator pedal, and i haven't changed anything, so i don't know why it's changed... throttle cable is not sticking (had that problem once before but have checked it this time.

I believe it is related to the leather diaphram on the back of the injection pump. It has a hole in it. Almost guarantee it.

About a $25 part (don't get it at Toyota) and an hour of your time. The smaller your hands the better cuz it is a little tight to get it off/on.

If the idle is almost OK when the engine is cold and increasing when it warms up, it`s almost certainly the diaphram that big_blue was talkin about.

toyota is the only place which stocks them and they are about $45 for a new one. Dont even bother getting a second hand and they take only about 20mins to replace, and that only because its tricky getting your hand behind the back of the pump. I had my 4cyl at petrol consumpsion before i bothered and it was fully ripped to shreds when i took it out but boy the world of difference it made!

Sam

sorry.... make that nearly $80 aus. I think

yeah, just found that it was the diaphram, thanks guys. getting the part monday or tuesday/

You should also drain the oil from the injection pump when you do an oil change. Some newer pumps have a one way valve to drain the oil, others have a small screw which needs to be manually removed to drain the oil. It's located about 1-2" from the bottom of the pump just forward of the diapragm.
I've been told that draining that oil is supposed to help extend diapragm life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom