1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diesel Idle Speed

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by bad_religion_au, Nov 27, 2003.

1. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

anyone got any idea why my diesel's idle is slowly increasing. lately it feels like i still got my foot half way down on the accelerator pedal, and i haven't changed anything, so i don't know why it's changed... throttle cable is not sticking (had that problem once before but have checked it this time.

2. The Dude

The Dude

I believe it is related to the leather diaphram on the back of the injection pump. It has a hole in it. Almost guarantee it.

About a $25 part (don't get it at Toyota) and an hour of your time. The smaller your hands the better cuz it is a little tight to get it off/on.

3. IironSika

IironSika

If the idle is almost OK when the engine is cold and increasing when it warms up, it`s almost certainly the diaphram that big_blue was talkin about.

4. s79bj40

s79bj40

toyota is the only place which stocks them and they are about $45 for a new one. Dont even bother getting a second hand and they take only about 20mins to replace, and that only because its tricky getting your hand behind the back of the pump. I had my 4cyl at petrol consumpsion before i bothered and it was fully ripped to shreds when i took it out but boy the world of difference it made!

Sam

5. s79bj40

s79bj40

sorry.... make that nearly $80 aus. I think

6. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

yeah, just found that it was the diaphram, thanks guys. getting the part monday or tuesday/

7. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

You should also drain the oil from the injection pump when you do an oil change. Some newer pumps have a one way valve to drain the oil, others have a small screw which needs to be manually removed to drain the oil. It's located about 1-2" from the bottom of the pump just forward of the diapragm.
    I've been told that draining that oil is supposed to help extend diapragm life.