Diesel engines for 80s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ya, I bought a new 1979 Chevy Silverado pickup with the alleged diesel engine. Paid $11K (alot in 1979) for the thing and got 3 miles from the dealership before it went up in smoke. :flipoff2: Should have been an omen. I had to wait like five minutes in the winter for the glow plugs to give me the OK and still not start. My wife had an 1980 Olds Toranado with the "diesel" and the only good thing is they improved the glow plugs to heat up much quicker. As -B- said the resale value was nothing so I nursed/repaired her car to 116k miles, overhauled and dropped in a 350 Olds gas engine and ran the thing another 146k miles till the frame rotted in the back. Engine was still going strong. Anyone who remembers these diesel junkers still has a sour taste in their mouth.
Bill

The diesel engine is the most efficient user of fossil fuels for vehicles, with significantly lower fuel consumption than its petrol counterpart. Decreased fuel consumption not only leads to lower fuel costs for consumers but it also helps to conserve fuel resources. Diesel technology also constitutes one of the best options currently available to achieve even greater fuel efficiency. With new direct-injection technology, a small (four-person capacity) diesel car with a fuel consumption of 70+ mpg is now feasible.

The diesel is distinguished by its low emissions of carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons. In addition, unlike gasoline engines, diesel engines do not emit evaporative volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which contribute to the production of ozone in the atmosphere. The advantage of the diesel also includes very low cold-start emissions. In Europe and elsewhere, the diesel engine is relied upon to meet greenhouse gas emission reduction commitments and, particularly, to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

A comparison of vehicles equipped with a three-way catalyst petrol engine versus a diesel engine meeting the same performance standards evidenced overall reduced greenhouse gas emissions of 45 percent for the diesel, with even better performance under real driving conditions.

Like other countries, the United States will need diesel technology to further its goals to reduce greenhouse gases and increase fuel economy and save resources.

Advanced lean-burn engine concepts incorporating sophisticated emission control technology require extremely clean fuel (i.e., near zero sulphur content).

I can see why a lack of clean diesel in the US is holding back the take up of modern diesel engines but - for the reasons above - you are missing out on the benefits and I am sure will follow the European example in time.

Jim

I just drove from northern North Dakota to southern Arizona via SLC/Vega$ (in a diesel..). Fuel prices ranged from $1.70-$2.10 per US gallon, diesel $1.46-$1.80. So the comment about the fuel being cheaper are true, but not much of a change.

When and if someone were to convert a cruiser to diesel you must remember that a few models parts can be found. Canada used B, 3B (bigger 4 cylinders), and 2H (6 cylinder) models and if anyone cares the 2L and 2L-T (tiny 4 cylinders) in all of north america. Additionally, mines used 3BII's, 1PZ's, and both new and old 1HZ's. That being said, the parts for those models sits right now in 'japan north america' which is a big building in Ontario, California (basically LA for those w/o geography). In a pinch, you can also call a place like ENS Toyota/Lexus which is not only a dealer but also mine supplier and order most key parts same day (they are in Saskatoon, SK). (and a private comment, no 4 cylinder would work in a station wagon)

I don't even want to enter the speculation on why toyota are DA's about bringing in a diesel truck, but basically its all about money. They will not sell as many diesel trucks as they would need to support introducing parts to guys like Dan and educating mechanics and dealers. More key is bringing a product that lasts too long into a market where 3-5 years is max ownership (leases and 2 year trade offs). Diesels are young at 100,000 miles, resale of any car /truck in the US dies a rapid death at that number!!

Someone waaaay back noted cost of a "starter". 12V starter motors are all the same for diesels and a toyota reman 2L 12v is about $150. The front gear housings are different, but that does not stop swapping the electrical portion. A hell of a lot cheaper than a starter for a '95 Ford PS ($505 retail reman in Tucson 4 years ago).

...anyway, back to conversions. I think many here in the US would be disappointed by a 1HZ install into a heavy 80 series. It would be very slow relative to a 1FZ-FE and getting to highway speeds in areas with 75mph freeways would suck. So we jump to turbos (1HD-T, 12 valve 1990-1995, 1HD-FT 24 valve 1995-1998, 1HD-FTE 24 v all electronic 1998-pres). They don't take any form of US manual tranny, autos could be converted to fit but would cost more than finding the right one. 12 valves need big end bearings refeshed under the first 100K or they are dead (but these share many parts with the north america supplied 1HZ's). They are also 10 years old on average. -FT and FTE's do not have any parts supply in the US so finding crossover (via looking at parts books for hours) would be needed. FTE's are 8 wire 'drive by wire' engines so have fun making that one work. You want same day parts, you are calling Marv Specter and praying with your wallet.

I was in a family that had one of those GM diesel's in a 1978 Old's Custom Cruiser wagon. That motor did not even last 50,000 miles and had to be replaced. I have had two diesels since and like them. I work for a global construction company and have had the opportunity to speak to people who have worked overseas and driven cruisers. Actually on the project they were working, they had both diesel cruisers and diesel chevys. Both guys say the diesel cruiser was SLOW but it hardly broke down unlike the chevys which self destructed. BTW, none of these rigs ever saw pavement. I am looking forward to the resurgence of diesels in the USA and when my 3FZE goes south, I am going to look into installing a turbo diesel in its spot. Jim, I don't know if anyone has point blank answered your question on which is cheaper but it is diesel.

It's obvious. Diesels must be WMD, no? ::)

Anyone in the US that wants a diesel can just import the diesel, mated with trans and ecu from another country like OZ.

What would be better than having some tree hugger give you grief only to tell the fawker you're getting better mileage that she is. :flipoff2: Then show her your :banana: :flipoff2:

biodiesel is the way.. f$#ing government with their s*** taxes.

one major hate with diesel.. when you fill up in the rain, the soles of your shoes get slippery as hell, i'v slipped on my ass from the steps on my hj so many times. and the brake pedal .... ahhh.

notice toyota's diesel nameing HJ, BJ. someone's obsessed :-* ;)

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=2;threadid=4810;start=msg37061#msg37061 date=1062511820]
and the brake pedal .... ahhh.[/quote]

Didn't think you needed the brake pedal with the stinkies. All that lovely HP. :flipoff2: :D

the clutch also gets slippery

my hj45 has a higher top speed than my fj, both engines pull to redline, same redline, same gearbox, hj has 3.7 diffs, fj 4.11. need to stop that somehow, but usually the brake just is used to stop from about 5mph to 0. engine braking takes care of most of it. lift off the skinny pedal in a diesel, it feels like the brakes are already applied :D

you didn't glow it enough. I drove mine for 4 weeks without a starter motor installed. And i only needed to park on very slight inclines. Its pretty lucky that u dont need to use the brakes as well, cause i'm pretty sure that mine dont work too well. If i have to brake fast, i notch it down a gear and lock up the back tyres. Granted its not as fast as locking up the front, but i havn't had to use the brakes when driving faster then 10kph for months. My pads are about 1/2 worn and they have done over 100 000k.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom