Diesel 88FJ62 W/13B-T, Auto Trans and A/C (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a conversion that I was planning to keep for my own use as a camping/exploration cruiser, but I have other projects including an FJ55 diesel project that I plan to keep for this purpose.

The FJ62 has a salvage title. When I got it the engine was blown and the w/s was broken but there was no other current damage and it does not appear that it ever had any real major damage in the past. The frame is straight etc and it drives straight. Cosmetically the exterior is not great but since it was supposed to be a camping rig I didnt care that much. It has been repainted at some point and has some minor body work that could be done better. The paint is not great. There is no rust anywhere.

The 13B-T engine is a JDM import with unknown miles, but I was told it had around 60K. It runs really well with an automatic trans and A/C. The windshield has been replaced. The interior is in good shape and everything works. The odo showed 145K miles. There is not currently a radio in it. Its basically stock with 31" tires. Currently has a pyrometer and boost guage. Passed local emissions and is registered.

I have to do some final finishing before it goes, but thought I would list it now. I should be done with remaining items in the next week or two.

$8000 Firm. Located in Portland.

Thanks for looking. I can email more pics if interested.
IMG_0055.jpg
IMG_0056.jpg
IMG_0057.jpg

Last edited:
rear brakes made a nice improvement. Ill be working on the AC this week as I havent hooked it all up yet. I need one custom hose.

I took this truck out for a drive today. Up to Timberline lodge from Portland. The lodge is at about 6000 ft - my place in Portland is about 500 ft. I had to manually downshift for one area just to keep it from going in and out of overdrive. I had no trouble maintaining 60-65 where my non turbo 3B rigs are in 3rd gear hanging on to 45mph.

I didnt have any issues with high EGT or engine temps. Ran great.

Any luck on the AC?

Hi, is this registered as a diesel?
thanks,
J

Just looked. Although I filled out the papers with the diesel box checked I have a registration that says gas.

There is no fuel indication on a title here though so I dont know what difference it would make to you since the registration doesnt go with it.

FWIW I have had two of my diesel cruisers for 10+ years in two states. I have always been stuck with one stated as diesel and the other as gas. I have not had an issue.

And this 62 went through the local test station with no issue.

Just looked. Although I filled out the papers with the diesel box checked I have a registration that says gas.

There is no fuel indication on a title here though so I dont know what difference it would make to you since the registration doesnt go with it.

FWIW I have had two of my diesel cruisers for 10+ years in two states. I have always been stuck with one stated as diesel and the other as gas. I have not had an issue.

And this 62 went through the local test station with no issue.

Apologies, I meant TITLED as a diesel. It makes a big difference if one wants to re-title in CA. If it is already titled as a diesel, it is a walk in the park. otherwise close to impossible.
thanks, cheers,
Jan

mpg update

recent fillup shows 22mpg.

This included a trip up mt hood, daily driving around town, and a highway trip to Eugene, OR and back. This equates to 400-500 miles per tank.

Yes, knowing if it is Titled as a diesel would make a big diff for the CA guys - incl myself

Thx,
Alex

Yes, knowing if it is Titled as a diesel would make a big diff for the CA guys - incl myself

Thx,
Alex

Like I said above - there is no reference to fuel type on the title - only the registration. If someone in CA really wants to buy it Ill see if there is any record that can be changed to state it is diesel.

Ultimately the vin number is related to a Gas vehicle.

You've just convinced me to keep my Oregon registration even though I live in Cali now. Moved here from Eugene and I have family there so I use there address for DMV. I want to do a diesel conversion in my FJ62 but was afraid of the California DMV issues I would have. Now I know that if I want to transfer the title to Cali, I should get my conversion done under Oregon title, get it re-titled as diesel and then transfer the title to Cali.

My other plan is to move back. This place sucks compared to Oregon. I have another year of commitment to fulfill though. Then I'm probably gone... all depends.

Bump for a nice truck and a really reasonable price!
Nice work Chris.

Would love to know if you got the diesel title sorted. Im in socal, but am very interested in this rig, if I can be relatively assured I can register it with no hassles in cali.

Does anyone else on the thread know any of the trials of this kind of reg?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom