Did something Dumb. Bought a 1HDFT for my FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so maybe the thought of getting a diesel for my cruiser made me not totally think about the stupid A442F in my cruiser.

I have a 1995 1FZFE. I wanted a diesel, love diesels and got a damn good deal out of country on the 1HDFT. 24 valve non- computer controlled motor.

How the hell does this thing work with the electronic A442F?

I've been searching google for some info, surfing Aussie forums, and I haven't come up with much. Most forums seem dead or hard to search on the specific subject. I know I can get the engine to run and all the plumbing done. I've done a number of engine swaps. So this one looks pretty straight forward. The only question I can't seem to answer, is the transmission.

Do I need a transmission controller?

Do I need a different bellhousing

Do I need a different flexplate and torque converter

I want to hook the transmission to the engine as stock as possible. The rest I'll build myself.

thanks

If I'm an idiot and cannot search very well, please point me to the correct links and I'll stop asking questions.

I'm trying to gather all the pieces before the engine gets here in March.

I am not expert by any means but lately I was looking into this in big detail.

These engines came with a442 so if your engine was in the car with auto trans you should be able to put a442 ( hydraulic version ) without any issues. If not then most of the manual to auto conversions in Australia are using compushift kits: COMPUSHIFT - The World's First Smart Phone Integrated Transmission Controller - https://automatictransmission.com.au/compushift-transmission-control-systems/

Toyota A442 4 Speed
The Toyota A442 series of automatic transmissions are one of our most successful transmissions for use with manual to automatic conversions. Originally used in the 80 Series Land Cruiser as a part electronic model (pressure controlled from a throttle cable) from 08/1992 until 12/1997. This version then continued onto the 105 Series Land Cruiser behind the 1HZ diesel and 1FZ-FE petrol motors until 07/2007. The 100 Series Land Cruiser started in 1998 with a full electronic version of the A442 behind the 1HD-FTE turbo diesel and 2UZ-FE V8 petrol. The full electronic means there is no throttle cable needed so it is perfect for use behind throttle by wire applications. Both of these transmission versions are controllable by the COMPUSHIFT transmission controller.

More info about compushift:

You don't want to switch to an A440, I don't believe you'll get a bellhousing to mate 1HD to A440.

Keep the computer controlled auto, the advantages and controllability are worth getting a compushift to operate.

I believe the torque converter for the HD/HZ diesel A442's is different from that used in the FZ A442. There may be other internal differences too.

Seems like I need a valve body for a non-computer controlled A442 and maybe the torque converter? I've downloaded a bunch of manuals for the transmission and engine. I'm starting to dig in and read.

If you have a 1995, then you have an A343F.

Not gonna work with a 1HD-FT.

You are going to need a full A442F setup from a non-US diesel (1HZ/1HD-T, etc)

Transmission, bellhousing, flex plate, torque converter, trans controller, kick down cable, bracket for cable at Venturi, etc.

@sawtooth4x4 I've got a rebuilt A442F hydraulic w/ new OEM torque converter if you're looking... Came out of my HDJ81.

Last edited:
The torque converter and oil pump are different too, between the hyadraulic and computer controlled trannies I’ve heard.

If you have a 1995, then you have an A343F.

Not gonna work with a 1HD-FT.

You are going to need a full A442F setup from a non-US diesel (1HZ/1HD-T, etc)

Transmission, bellhousing, flex plate, torque converter, trans controller, kick down cable, bracket for cable at Venturi, etc.

Just another thread I found. Looks like it will work. I'll just need some other parts like a torque converter

Let me know when you pull the 1FZ and A343 and need to get it out of your garage. lol
Sure thing. Its still running great. Eats gas like no ones business. All resealed, both oil pan pieces, top end, front mail seal, oil pump o-ring. Tuned up, new intake manifold gaskets. I've been running it on 5w40 rotella t6 synthetic since I got the truck. Change the oil every 5K miles.

Just another thread I found. Looks like it will work. I'll just need some other parts like a torque converter

Good luck: A343F never came installed behind any Toyota inline 6 diesel.

Good luck: A343F never came installed behind any Toyota inline 6 diesel.
Well, maybe you should talk to the companies I've been talking to and let them know. I talked to Compushift yesterday. And they confirmed it did. So do many other threads and things I've been reading. So I'm not sure where you are getting your info. I've been reading all over the place it will work. Can you give me some links to read? I'd love to see them.

Thanks

Here is my build plate. I do have the A343F

27A980E3-4E3A-497B-A3B5-BFE2E5F0DB7B.jpeg

:lol: I know what you have.

What I am saying is that the A343F never came installed from the factory behind any of the Toyota DIESEL inline 6 engines. It was only installed behind the 1FZ-FE and the 2UZ-FE engines for Land Cruiser application.

What I am saying is that the A343F will most likely NOT fit behind a 1HD-FT with out adaptors.

And yes, I know about the available controllers out there.

You might want to research on the differences between the hydro and electric trans pumps and torque converters. They don’t just bolt up. Check out wheelingnoob and jtaylor threads. They were doing Isuzu swaps, but learned the difference between the gas a440 and a442 and diesel a442. I don’t know that it’s impossible. But it’s more likely that it won’t just be a bolt up solution between the gasser and diesel.

Also, Onur has forgotten more about Toyota parts than 90% of us know at our peak, take his advice seriously.

Finally got some more info. The guys in Cali were wrong. LOL. So thanks for you patience. Looks like I'm getting a different auto. Engine and trans will now be for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom