1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I make the right choice: MAF exhaust?!

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Gappy, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Gappy

Gappy

I know I should of asked this question before I placed the order, but, the exhaust on my FJ62 is shot. I ordered the MAF down pipes, cats and catback exhaust. Did I make the right choice?

2. swank60

swank60

The exhaust guy I use told me that the tubing has sort of a shelf life, so to speak, and that the steel looses some of it's flexibility (for fitting and such) if it's been sitting too long. If this is a bolt-on application, you should be fine.

Anyone know more about the whole "steel flex" issue?

3. 2badfjs

2badfjs

i run it on my 84 60

no problems, a little spendy.....IMO...but o well..
    easy install :D

4. dd113

dd113

It is a great product but yes, you made a bad choice. I would hold the order and search both here and the 3FE list for other options.

5. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

I thought is a good option .. you have a good quality product. If your idea is get more than 50 HP with this upgrade ... I don't think so.

6. Gappy

Gappy

I'm not really lookin for 50 HP. If I feel a few extra ponys then great. Can't even drive it right now it's so noisey and rattley! It definately leans towards redneck rather than art fag as so perfectly put by "swank60"! Would like to have a nice exhaust tone also! Every body on here usually comments on the good quality from MAF so that is why I went with it and will probably use MAF also when it comes to the lift I will do. I would much rather spend the extra cash and get a quality product than to cut any corners.

7. dd113

dd113

Dont get me wrong, I am not saying it is not a good product cuz it is. As an off the shelf item it is great and well thought out; should be bascially bolt on. The thing is with a bit of research you can do better for the same amount of money.

8. Gappy

Gappy

dd113, I totally understand what you are saying. I appreciate your input! I'll be the first to admit that the majority of my research was a few threads and that my brother bought the same exhaust and he is happy. A better product for the same money.......is it mostly in the material (ga., stainless etc.) fit, flow or all of the above?

9. wingysataday

wingysataday

Media:
    I just cut my exhaust off right after the cat and it sounds good. Not to loud and not gay either. I thought it woulds be real loud but nope. I think my cat is kinda full maybe?

10. Gappy

Gappy

I'm lookin at 250K miles and will assume by the way they look that it is the original cats. Thats why I'm replacing the cats, gotta be full of what ever they fill up with. Might get more addition power out of that than the rest of the exhaust upgrade!?

11. swank60

swank60

Keep those cats around if you have the room, just in case. The cats that came on these trucks orig were designed for the long haul (and remember, they weren't designed by GM or Ford, etc...). I've got 212k on my truck and I can still pass emissions test without a problem.

12. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    yup, 250K and 350K on a set of OEM cats on the fj62's.

13. Gappy

Gappy

Man, thats impressive on the cats! I've had several vehicles, either Ford or GM that the cats clogged up at 70K miles. One was still in the factory warranty. I definately will keep them. I don't throw anything away thats original no matter what the condition is.

14. StanCruiserMan

StanCruiserMan

If you get this MAF exhaust for the FJ62 I would buy different manifold gaskets, and if you use your Toyota cats I would get different cat inlet gaskets as well. The ones that come in the kit are lacking IMO. Everything else is fine though. I would get factory Toyota or even NAPA gaskets instead.

15. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

How did your MAF set-up work out? How's it sound?

I just ordered the same thing and whomever quoted "Man-it-ain't-Free" was right. OUCH!

16. Gappy

Gappy

macneill, I am very happy with it, but 2 small problems. one of the problems Stancruiserman hit it on the head one post above you. the gaskets did not fit. i called steve-o at MAF and he was extremely helpful and sent me a couple gaskets right away. well after i got those on i realized that the cat gaskets did not fit. i'm sure if i called steve-o again he would of helped out no charge just like the first time. i am antzy so i didn't want to wait so went to napa and they stocked what i needed and it was only a couple bucks. all this is no big deal to me. the only other problem i had was the tailpipe bracket did not line up. it "hit" about 2 inches in front of the original beacket. some very simple fabricating solved this. the exhaust note is real nice and i can feel a little HP gain. the exhaust i took off was a very restrictive not original exhaust. so i don't know if there is any gain over the original toyota exhaust. if i had to do it again, i'd do the same....happy customer.

17. sl33py

sl33py

for about the same $ - what would you suggest David?

18. euclid

euclid

Media:
    Albums:
    Replace your o2 sensors at the same time. Old o2's will kill your new cats pretty quick.

If you can stop your order do it. Go to an exaust shop and have a whole system built. 3FE list has lots of ideas on how to route the new pipes. Mine gets better mileage and sounds better since I did it. Best thing is that the pipe no longer goes under the frame, it is up away from rocks. My whole system only cost me a couple $100.