Did a little tooling around in UT last week (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I was in dire need of escaping the grid for a bit, took advantage of the spring break time off and bolted to UT from Mon - Fri. The 80 got a massive rear sway bar from Whiteline and it delivered in spades. The 80 drives a ton better on the hwy, not sure how much off road articulation suffered though, only time will tell I guess. It's great to lift a rig and do the mods, but if it beats the s*** out of you for hours and hours before you air down, the fun factor diminishes, at least for me anyway. She handles decent now, but gotta work on a wind fairing solution next to cut down on the wind noise.

Anyway, we arrived in Comb wash CG Monday eve, then hit the ruins on Butler wash Tues am. After the hike to ruins, grabbing some grub, stayed aired down and hit the Arch Canyon trail off of Hwy 95. This trail leads you into a box canyon and you hope like hell you're the only rig going down this trail for some seclusion. Thankfully, BLM Monticello installed a sign up sheet at the beginning so you know what to expect. There was one other Taco at the end of the trail all locked up, guessing the folks went on a multi day backpacking trip. It was nice to camp in the tall pines but sad to see the creek was just about bone dry. The highlight of this trip used to be that you needed to cross the water about 50 times!

After that, we headed into Moab for a shower and pasta at Pasta Jay's while watching the EJS mayhem going in the town. Grabbed some grub at Moab diner Thurs am then skidaddled outta there as fast as a tired old 1FZ-FE can do and headed to the Schaffer switchback at the end of Potash road. This trail is really pretty and you can't help but feel for the MTBers going uphill from the river level all the way up to the mesa top. Once up at the top, aired up then did some touristy lookout stuff.

Slight detour here, but did someone let loose some Mercedes Sprinter van adventure rigs in Moab or what? Holy jeebus, these vans were EVERYWHERE with MTBs on the back, boats on the top with some of the dirtiest but hottest women behind the front wheel. The lady I was with saw the drooling factor and asked me what was I actually salivating over - the hot chick or the hot van? I had to think hard on that one for a bit, :hmm:!!! The aftermarket is getting flooded with Van conversions aimed for the Moab market, I tell you what. I've never seen so many Eurovans, Vanagons, Sprinters and Nissan vans in Moab before.

Ahem, back at the ranch, we headed down south to hwy 211 for our last night of remote camp out before heading home on Friday. We wanted to camp at the Super Bowl BLM CG off of 211 but this is Thurs, WTF was I thinking? The CG was full of, wait for it, VANS filled with climbing gear and MTBs! So, we skeedaddled across hwy 211 for another dirt road to find some hard to access place and did manage to find an epic spot. Of course, we had to go by a Prius and two sprinter vans in the process before going to 4low.

Overall, a fine trip, recharged the battery. Everything but the Arch canyon trail is trailer friendly. Arch canyon does require a little lift and 4low, so the Subarus and Vans are out! This trail also has overhanging branches throughout so keep that in mind. If you have a typical clamshell RTT on a lifted rig, you WILL have to get out and push them up and over your RTT in places.

Enjoy the pics.

Poser shot on Schaffer trail (end of potash road)
Posing shot.jpg

Arch Canyon all following pics
20180327_161449.jpg

20180327_161444.jpg

20180328_074544.jpg

Some random shot of the ruin hike, vans, etc

Remote camping spot near Hwy 211
20180330_084013.jpg

20180329_085731.jpg

20180329_085717.jpg

20180327_144909.jpg

Random CG pics while driving from Island in the Sky visitor center to Moab. Might be good place to crash for the night after arriving late and tired. If I were to do White Rim trail, I'd prolly crash here then get an early start the next morning after checking in the visitor center. First come, first serve.

20180329_162523.jpg

20180329_162513.jpg

20180329_155701.jpg

Views from Schaeffer trail

20180329_135618.jpg

20180329_122623.jpg

Remote camping spot near Hwy 211, nary an ugly view to be found. Thur night.

20180330_075158.jpg

20180330_074703.jpg

20180329_195623.jpg

Nice Ash. I think I'm due for a recharge.

Nice Ash. I think I'm due for a recharge.

Only Pappy will appreciate this. This lady who went with me has never gone camping, popped a squat outside, etc but was totally willing to experience a whole week with me. I was a little nervous at first, taking a newb out to the wild but kept an open mind. When I rolled up to the driveway, saw that she packed the food for us (yessss!!!), then saw this ginormous duffel bag with wheels and my twitching started. The SECOND bag had other stuff, along with a hair dryer. :bang: By now, I'm experiencing a mild seizure of some sort and she noticed it and asked what can she do? I said, Umm, maybe get a smaller duffel bag w/o wheels? I let her have the hair drier. Come on, it's her first time, cut her some slack :hillbilly:

Anyway, she was great to camp with, she learned a lot and was never a drag. I enjoyed the whole process immensely looking and feeling what she was experiencing through her eyes. Her sense of wonderment was refreshing as we tend to get a little jaded with this activity and the scenery.

Only Pappy will appreciate this. This lady who went with me has never gone camping ...

I totally get it. That is one reason I'm still single. Ladies in their 50's are beyond this camping thing and want to be resort pampered. And for the record ... I was already thinking recharge. I pulled out my Baja California Almanac over the weekend. Though, a quick trip to Utah would work too.

I guess I got lucky. My wife is fine roughing it as long as she gets tea in the morning and wine in the evening.

Ash - thanks for sharing the trip report and the pics - you gotta love that part of the world! Beautiful!

The 80 got a massive rear sway bar from Whiteline and it delivered in spades. The 80 drives a ton better on the hwy, not sure how much off road articulation suffered though, only time will tell I guess.

Tell me about this sway bar. When you go x-over steering in a mini-truck the front sway bar has to come out. I've been trying to engineer a rear sway bar to help with the handling.

My wife and i ended up leaving Moab planning for our retirement used Sprinter. They do looked more enticing for the wife where you can actually live in vs live around your rig. especially after a windy week last week, the idea looked really enticing. but realistically, that's how many years down the road for us, we still want to go to trails these vans cant go.

My wife and i ended up leaving Moab planning for our retirement used Sprinter. They do looked more enticing for the wife where you can actually live in vs live around your rig. especially after a windy week last week, the idea looked really enticing. but realistically, that's how many years down the road for us, we still want to go to trails these vans cant go.

Need one of these:

LC Troopy Camper.jpg

Tell me about this sway bar. When you go x-over steering in a mini-truck the front sway bar has to come out. I've been trying to engineer a rear sway bar to help with the handling.

I have a front ifs sway bar with links I was gonna scrap. You’re welcome to it if it helps you brainstorm a design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom