Developed a pinging HELP!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '88 FJ62 has developed a pinging underload it only pings underload after it levels out it quits. Does this sound like carbon build up or something else? If it's carbon what's the best method of getting it out?

Hope to get it straight before GSMTR :D

TAT
Burl

Sounds to me like you have a timing issue. Start there first I'd say.

Pinion,

The timing has been check set 7* BTDC. But I remembering reading that if you retard the timing it can help does it ?

Thanks
Burl

when you set the timing on a 3fe you need to jump a wire in the little box before setting it or it will be off. Did you do this?

did the pinging just start or was it like this when you got it for $1k

[quote author=VA.CRUISER link=board=1;threadid=12026;start=msg109993#msg109993 date=1077682758]
Pinion,

The timing has been check set 7* BTDC. But I remembering reading that if you retard the timing it can help does it ?

Thanks
Burl
[/quote]

Did you fill the gas tank at Starvin Marvins?

run another tank of gas from a different station first before messing with anything. crappy gas will ping, and timing usually just doesnt change all the sudden, without other noticable problems.

Perfect,
nice pair

Good Point HI^C. I travelled through Central America where there is an abundance of poor quality gasoline and the truck was constantly pinging as a result.

Landpimp-had the jumper in the connector and this just started the other week (need to change my sig)

Perfect Obsession-should I lube the advance where exactly

theo-no starvin marvins gas (Shell)

HI^C-just filled it up with high octane from Texaco and added some Chevron fuel additive hope this helps HER :D

Thanks for all the replies
Burl

Any other ideas for getting rid of the carbon build or whatever is causing the pinging ???

Have you run the Chevron additive through with a couple of tankfuls of good gas yet?
Thats the first thing.
Then, yes, retarding the timing may help, too.
Some sustained highspeed (at the limit, of course) driving may help burn off carbon deposits as well. Get on the freeway and take a 2 thousand mile trip.

I don't know what type of distributor (mechanical point or electronic pickup) you have. Mine is electronic pickup.

I lube the mechanical advance located in the distributor under the pickup plate AND the contact area between the distributor body and the pickup plate, that should slide easily.

Sometimes, mechanical advance is called centrifugal advance. This mechanism advances spark timing using centrifugal weight. It rotates the pickup plate relative to the distributor body.

OK, i am going to say this and you can b**** and complain all you want.

carbon build up, find a mist to stream hand spray bottle, fill with water, take off air cleaner, running engine manual increase engine speed, give her the water, DO not drown her listen to her and dont give her to much.

i have used that for many yrs, old mechanic neighbor showed me, works good on my mowers, old truck, everything.

DISCLAIMER

i was just showing what has worked great for me, i do not take responsibility for any broken parts caused by others actions.

Have heard of this hic..

Really like the disclaimer... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom