Denver, Colorado Rust (2021) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thinking about picking up a 2017 LX570 in the Denver Area.

Is rust not an issue in Denver?
What about other corrosion to copper, aluminum, etc?
Do the roads still get hit with Magnesium Chloride here?

IMG_3532.JPEG

IMG_3534.JPEG

IMG_3538.JPEG

IMG_3537.JPEG

InkedIMG_3535_LI.jpg

Last edited:
IME rust is typically much less of an issue in Colorado than the Midwest or NE, but mag chloride is still used here and can cause problems. More of a potential issue if the vehicle sees frequent mountain driving in the winter without periodically spraying off the undercarriage. That said, a 2017 that has spent its life in CO should be a pretty good bet from a rust standpoint.

Edit: just saw the pics, I'm not seeing anything concerning.

I don’t believe they use salt in Colorado.The last time I was out there,I
saw quite a few “classics”being used as daily drivers and still in excellent condition.

Don't know about Denver, but El Paso County (C Springs) started using salt brine a couple years ago instead of mag chloride. Below article also says they're adding a rust inhibitor...hmmmm.

I’m as picky as it gets with regard to rust and that truck looks great. Texas trucks have exhaust flanges that look exactly like that.

Roads are mag chlorided when it snows, but it's a dry climate, so that's not as often as the NE. I-70 is a different story, "ski vehicles" are at risk if they aren't washed when put away.

My 80 is a original Colorado truck and has some rust issues. My 60 was an original Colorado truck and pretty much rusted to pieces. If well cared for and given an undercarriage wash when driven in winter, they can stay pretty clean.

Truck pictured looks good to go 👍

What rust? ;)

I have 5 Toyotas in the driveway and all of them have spent their entire life in northern Colorado, all of them have no rust what so ever. They use mag chloride here. Our 96 4Runner has probably seen the most neglect due to a teenager having been the primary driver for the past 6 years and it's still rust free. The 96 4Runner has lost the majority of it's clear coat, so I do think being closer to the sun may have some negative effects on the exterior and possibly on the interior, but as new as that 2017 is I would not worry about that. Brad
1996 4Runner
2007 Tundra
2010 LX570
2012 4Runner
2020 GX460

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom