Demise of the TLC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Hi all,
kind of hesitate to bring this up among such a nice group of hardcore fans, especially just joining the forum, but please chalk it up to naivete rather than bad manners. Gotta ask before committing to buying my first TLC - so bear with me, please
(Nomex undies on):

I read someplace that the new TLC sales are way down (probably cuz of Sequoia) and some trade journalists were speculating that Toyota may well discontinue the TLC line in the US if the trend continues for much longer.

Would somebody care to speculate as to the likelihood of this happening and about the possible impact this would have on parts availability?

thanks
Eric

Greetings Eric -

Welcome to the List !

This subject has come up several times before, but for the life of me I cannot find the old threads - even my own posts on the subject :(

This is what has been speculated by those "in the know" - and even published by such prestigious firms as Merrill-Lynch, and others...

The UZJ100 series Land Cruiser (our current 100 series) - and its rebadged Lexus clone, the LX470 - will come to an end in the US with the 2005 models.

In 2006, Toyota will continue to produce the Sequoia as its primary, full size SUV, and also "introduce" a Sequoia-rebadged-as-a-Lexus clone, the VX470.

The 2006 model year will also see a new compact SUV, the "Toyota FJ Cruiser." Yep guys, I think this is that little-bitney, 30s something crowd [their term, not mine], modernized retro-like "cruiser." :-\

I interpret this to mean there will be no "Land Cruiser" in the US line-up for 2006 and thereafter, though the rest of the world would not be so effected.

Mr CDan can speculate as to how this will effect parts availability here in the US...

Cheers, R -

thanks Ron, interesting
well, one would conjecture that if the Sequoia and the 4.7 stay on, at least the newer engines should be covered OK for a while, partwise...
And then perhaps parts could still be obtained overseas anyway?
hmmmm...
Eric

Parts availability would not be affected. For example there is virtually nothing in common between a Tacoma and a 94-back truck, nor between an 80 series and 100 series Cruiser, The older stuff is out there still and will be for quite some time. When a vehicle makes a significant model year change it is no different than discontinuing it all togther.

I am not worried. But, since all you guys won't be able to get parts after next week you should all give your rigs to me... :flipoff2:

D-

hmmm

Off to contemplate an 80 front swap into the FJ-Cruiser :D

D -

>> But, since all you guys won't be able to get parts after next week you should all give your rigs to me...

Say what?

R -

I'd expect them to suck the last dollar out first with a 50th-anniversary special edition. Something with lots of plastic bits like a scaled-down h2.

i wouldnt worry about parts. can still get parts for my 71 40, not necessarily toyota, but lots of aftermarket parts available if toyota quit making something, or rebuilt.

i recon australia will keep getting cruisers, we still get Solid axle fronts. :)

Start importing front solid axles and we can start doing SAS a la Tacoma owners :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom