Delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I Found a great, clean well maintained, triple locked, '97 with 143k miles near me and the owner is asking $22k. owner has had it since 2002, the vehicle has lived in Colorado and Texas as a daily driver. serviced by the same Toyota technician for 16 years. I am going to see it in person this week but I'm not the only interested party. My research and gut tells me I should pay no more than 18k.

Here is all the information I have. What would you pay for this rig?

Aftermarket Parts:
ARB Front bumper installed in 2003
10,000 lb. warn winch installed in 2003
Slee rear bumper with tire carrier and tow hitch - no ladder (from 2003)
slee slides
slee engine skid plt.
halogen aux driving lights
second battery setup
OME springs and shocks riding at stock height.
Firestone bagged rear suspension for heavy towing
Melvill and Moon seat covers and tire cover

Toyota Options (nonUSA)
13 gal aux fuel tank
overhead compas and fuel gauge
aux engine fan
CENTER LOCKING DIFF
seat heaters
pass. grab bar
rear water bladder and hose system

Addtl Notes:
Paint is original and in good condition - white
entire exhaust from engine to tip was replaced 3 years ago. all new cats.
wheels were refinished 2 years ago
Leather is in great condition
Stock radio
no 3rd row or jump seats
NO RUST

Last edited:
Me being old and cheap, it warms my heart to see such a low mileage cruiser still out there. I have no earthly idea what the market will bring for such a finely detailed specimen but I had to subscribe just to see what happens. I wish you happy bidding/haggling with the current owner.

The all-important question is lockers or no? That means a difference of thousands in price.

Very similar, was advertised at $11,500. But Colorado is a premium price increase:

No significant mods, but lots of maintenance and was listed at $17,500.

The thing is, what's it worth to you? There's only about 1600 of the 40th Anniversary models out there that are locked, according to the above post. Can you let it go on the off chance you'll never find another one? Are you content with a non-40th for about $5000-$10,000 less? You can buy a heck of a nice locked 80 series for $10,000-$12,000.

I appreciate your input on this @zapatius. To clarify, this one is not a 40th Anniversary - a 40th would be great, but its not at the top of my list of priorities.

I definitely would have some fear of missing out if I walked away from this one. I am mostly just concerned that their asking price is high - I'm hoping some folks with more knowledge than I could help me come up with a fair price. Would you say given the modifications and condition of the vehicle, $22k is fair?

Adding to my original post that there are zero dents or scratches in the original paint, just a few chips on the hood.

Last edited:
I appreciate your input on this @zapatius. To clarify, this one is not a 40th Anniversary - a 40th would be great, but its not at the top of my list of priorities.

I definitely would have some fear of missing out if I walked away from this one. I am mostly just concerned that their asking price is high - I'm hoping some folks with more knowledge than I could help me come up with a fair price. Would you say given the modifications and condition of the vehicle, $22k is fair?

Adding to my original post that there are zero dents or scratches in the original paint, just a few chips on the hood.

I'm in your Market Area (Texas Metroplexes) and watch pricing pretty closely on 80 and 100 series. Prices have been steadily climbing on 80 series for several years. Holding steady to slightly rising on 100 series.

The vehicle (as described) has a lot of added features....that IF you wanted the same and had to add them would cost thousands of dollars. I can tell you from the description....whoever has/had it knows the 80 series and knows what add-ons are desirable and of good quality.

My opinion...is that the asking price is $2-3K high.....but someone with money (who doesn't really care) will buy it if you don't. The economy is good right now....folks have disposable incomes and it's HOUSTON.

I would inquire about it quickly and determine if there is any discount to be had on the asking price. I wouldn't try to 'fault it', just let them know you are a serious buyer (not a tire kicker or test pilot) and ask what their bottom dollar is. Plain and simple. Then you decide.

Just my two cents (from owning a 1993 LC without virtually any of those options).

Are any of the features worth anything to you? On paper, all the extras add to the bottom dollar but...are they things that you see yourself using often enough?

I picked up my LC for $5500 and have taken it to remote areas in the North Cascades in winter and summer, sleep in it during sub-zero temps, etc. without any of those options.

My point is, there are great cruisers out there for much cheaper (half that...honestly) so that you could have extra $ to customize it yourself.

Personally, the most frequently used "upgrade" that I did is an aftermarket radio and speakers which didn't even make this cut...

Someone will pay the asking price or more for the truck you described. At that price point, dickering over a few months worth of car payments probably isn't going to work. Sounds like market rate to me.

If it checks all of your boxes, just buy it. It will be worth that much as long as it stays in great shape and probably more if you maintain it. If you don't like it, just sell it for the same price tomorrow.

Find a nice STOCK '97 with similar mileage then start adding up all the extras at the cost to add them. You may very well come in at or above the asking price. That being said, what is it worth to YOU?

At $20k I would hope to see a good interior, exterior and up to date drivetrain. I haven't seen many in that category.

My black 80 is ~147K, e-lockers, bumpers & armor, 4.88’s / 4” lift / 315’s with 70%+ tread, M12K & synth line.....everything works & interior is a 9/10 & I’m same / 2nd owner since 1999-00.

So really pretty close to where & what you’re seeing aside from mine not having a sub-tank.

If I was to price mine, and I’m not - it would take $17.5 to even make me pause to think. And even then, I’d prob pass. Aside from the corner spot all the hatch windows try to rust (mine has ‘rainbow’ in the black paint), no visible rust bubble the top & underside are rust free 100%.

I remember every last socket with grease & all the little stuff I did including the new HG, blah blah blah.......that is why a low miles, no rust 80 is such a blue chip rig.

They aren’t going to lose value, and the great ones with papers will always be desired. The only downside is the 1FZ max TQ without a S/C or turbo, but that’s it.

Try parking a Sequoia or a 200 some places a 80 fits in the city - a 80 feels like a Tacoma compared to a 200/Sequoia/Tundra when in parking or urban areas.

If it’s a color you want/like, and the paperwork matches the way you describe & it really is that solid, I’d think about how common a $12K/250-300K 80 is, and how long it would take you to add 150K to the odometer.

If it’s perfectly the 80 you want, don’t cheap out.
If it’s not your perfect 80, wait for one. 2-3 50-60K ones just appeared in the last week, but they are all $30K or more.

Yes, someone will buy it at $22,000. My friend just flipped a not locked 95. Washed it, put on shocks, changed the fluids and had a guy fly to pick it up. Made $4000. They are absolutely in demand. BUT having said that, unless every one of these add-ons is on your LC bucket list, I think the price is high. A person doesn't add front and rear bumpers to their LC and expect that it is suddenly worth $3000 more...even though many of them are desirable, it doesn't make the truck worth $10,000-$12,000 more.

^^^^ @zapatius - where would you price your 80 that you wouldn’t be bitter in 2 months?

As I’ve always seen, ex cond mods = 50% of their original price.
OE Yota options like the subtank are a $1K uptick, or slightly higher than aftermarket parts.

But yes, buyer should like all the mods or expect max 50% retail when selling them off to replace with ones they want.

But, what’s a Slee RR bumper nowdays - last I saw they were $2500 before you paid freight. And freight alone on their Tundra sliders was ~$250 to me some 18mo ago. Hidden cost of armor.

But - I stand by what I said - if it’s not buyer’s exact color combo he wants, pass. I passed on 3 black/oak LC’s & LX450’s before my black/grey one I bought. Lucky too - oak interior is HTF compared to grey demand.
And my 450 had stuff I wanted to strip (Hanna gear) & then go run it ragged.
The 40AE was a lark, I paid $4K & it had 350K with 300K highway miles & a HG receipt from Slee with it. I took trade value of $7500 ($8250 by the WA dealership hokie-ness / trade-in $$). I liked the idea more than the real color of Sage.
Sage is to 80’s what Bronzit is to BMW E30’s IMO.
(BMW guys will get that one) ;)

Some guys get a chub for white 80’s - so they go for a premium.
Green & burgundy always get the ‘dammit’ deduct.

But point was I had a reason for all 3, and despite the green/oak 450 color, Hanna bumper/sliders were NLA - and Hanna was king at one time.

So you can’t cheap out if you find a perfect 80, but at the same time don’t hesitate to walk from the non-perfect ones.

Cash is still king.

I think it's to high, That being said if the prices keep going up it just makes my pile worth more.
Some pictures would help, $ 22,000. reg should have lots of pictures

I get what you're saying Linus - I'm not sure what I would take for mine. It's dark green mica over gray leather, so not rare. BUT it has been maintained and fixed and that effort/time is worth $$$. If I got another one, I would have to start all over.

The 62, I would walk away from for less. It still needs too much cosmetic work.

I think it's to high, That being said if the prices keep going up it just makes my pile worth more.
Some pictures would help, $ 22,000. reg should have lots of pictures

I just thought I’d “reality check” what money is worth in Toyotas:
$18.7 - $19.5 is base price for a 2019 Toyota Corolla, pre-tax,title,regs.

A 2WD 4Runner starts at $34.9, and top out $47.4, before TT&R

I won’t even price the Sequoia, Tacoma, Tundra, or 200 series.

And then you drive them off the lot.

$22K gets you alot of vehicle in FZJ80 world, esp since really it’s hard to say there’s room to devalue any further.

And that says alot, since later 200’s are starting to break the sub-$40K mark (for those that use that concept to justify certain 80’s pricing).

I was surprised - I figured you could still get a base, stripped Corolla for $15K unless you’re a super-commuter or don’t have some sort of secondary vehicle/transportation.

All of a sudden any ~$15K / 150-170K FZJ80 with decent records sounds like smart money.

But seems the smartest value is maybe used 100’s for single vehicle purposes. I’m just surprised at a new, cheap Corolla MSRP comparatively.

Some pictures would help,

I recommend the OP NOT post pics.....unless he wants it sold out from under him.

Way too easy for folks to find out where someone else's hard found 'gem' is located.

Anyway, to the OP - my opinion is $16K. The bumpers have been on there 16 years. It's not like they're brand new.

It is true you can buy a lot less vehicle for $16K. I know that the LC can go anywhere I want to take it comfortably and reliably. That's worth a lot. If you've never owned one and spent hours (or days) under it, there's quite a bit of peace of mind with what has already been done.

I have seen the ad (the pics look good) and I agree with most of what has been said. If you could do it for 18K-ish you're probably fine. If you squirm at spending that much money for something 22yrs old, find an unmolested rig and make it yours. Don't discount the enjoyment you may get from adding modifications and personalization over time. I see 80's that are good candidates all the time sub 12K. I have built two 80's at least as nice and capable as that one for a lot less than 22K.

On a side note, there is almost no way I could ever sell my 80 without regretting it for the rest of my life. If for some crazy reason I could get enough for it to get me into a 2016 or newer 200 series with bumpers, etc. I would probably do it and wouldn't feel so bad. I would however, regret it forever.

And, yes....everyone above is right. If you don't buy it soon, someone will.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom