Aftermarket turning light flasher relay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is a flasher relay?
(ChatGPT) A flasher relay, also known as a flasher unit or blinker relay, is an electrical component found in vehicles, particularly automobiles, motorcycles, and other vehicles equipped with turn signals. Its primary function is to control the flashing of the turn signal lights. When activated by the driver using the turn signal lever or switch, the flasher relay sends intermittent electrical signals to the turn signal lights, causing them to flash on and off, indicating the intended direction of the vehicle's movement to other drivers on the road. Once the turn is completed or the driver cancels the turn signal, the flasher relay stops sending signals, and the turn signal lights return to their default state. In summary, the flasher relay is crucial for signaling intentions to other drivers and ensuring road safety.

Why do I want to replace flasher relay to an aftermarket one?
Only if you want to replace the turning light from incandescent to LED in LC100s. It will fix the "hyper flash" issue after you change LED turning lights.

Can I fix the "hyper flash" issue with other methods?
Yes, you can add by-pass resistors to fix the issue.

Where is the flasher relay?
Well, in LC100 or LX470, the flasher relay location could be different with different years models. usually you will find it under the driver side dash closed to steering wheel assembly or closed to brake padel.

What else it can be benefit when I change to aftermarket flasher relay?
Some aftermarket flasher relay offers the adjustment capability of flasher frequency. Some aftermarket flasher will add "3-blink" function, which means when you half turn the lever, the turn signal will flash 3 times then shut off. It is useful for lane changing and is very common for modern cars.

What is the downside of changing the aftermarket flasher relay?
The building quality of the aftermarket components definitely are not on par with OEM ones. the longevity of aftermarket relay could be in question. I would suggest leaving the OEM relay in the car. if the aftermarket flasher is broken, you can quickly change back to OEM one.

Which aftermarket flasher I should choose?
I tested several aftermarket flasher relays, you can choose based on your needs:

1. Novita Turn Signal / Hazard Warning Flasher LM449
1709067127123.png

The good: building quality is OK and it is backing up with autozone warrenty. you can find almost in any autozone store across the county
The bad: No any other functions added. For the one I tested, the flasher speed is too high.

2. adjustable flasher relay from amazon
1709066638623.png

The good: flasher frequency adjustable, 3-click function, price is good
The bad: building quality

3. Non-adjustable flasher relay from amazon
1709066791003.png

The good: 3-click function, price is good
The bad: building quality, the one I tested has issue: when the lever auto-return, sometimes it will add another click on the other direction, very annoy.

4) SmartTap CF18 LED Turn Signal Flasher
1709067052052.png

The good: building quality, functions?
the bad: pricy
I didn't test this one. cannot say too much about this.

Overall I chose 2)

Last edited:
I just installed a new TJM Bumper and want to fix the hyper-flash due to the new wired in LED turn signals. I'd love to change the relay if only I could get to the thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom