Dead Clutch-Urgent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in Murphy NC right now at a friends farm wheelin. Today after runnin a little mud, I was on a mountaintop road going down a slight incline with the clutch pedal in, transmission in gear, 4hi. All of a sudden BAM! the wheels lock up and stop immediatly. I turn on e-brake, cut engine and get out. Everything looks fine underneath. I get back in and the clutch has no resitance, look underneath and the fork is moving in and out like its supposed to, so all hydralics are fine, it must be something inside the bellhousing. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO FIX??? I have never worked on a clutch before, other than mechanical dirtbike ones. JT Outfitters may be nearby, if so I will tow it there and hopefully they can fix it today cause I have to be back in Atlanta tomorrow. ANY IDEALS AT ALL? I really need to get this thing back on the road.

Pull the inspection cover off and take a look see at the insides.

Does the car move when you turn the starter? (i.e., is it in gear?)

Sorry Chief, but JT's about 300 miles from Murphy.

If yer wheels locked up and the engine kept running it's probably the pressure plate.

If you cover wasent on maby you got a rock or somthing loged in there. Ive seeen it happen I was six and told the adults what was rong, but of corse they dident bielive me sure enough. ;)

Yep I found out about JT, the good thing is that they are close enough to ground ship the clutch kit and it will still get here tomorrow. We just went and got a tractor and towed it the coupla miles back to the barn. Went and got the local farm mechanic, he came and took off the inspection cover, bits and pieces of clutch fell out. Towed it to his shop and yanked the tranny and transer, started pullin the clutch and TONS of junk fell out. I had to leave before he finished. Flywheel will probably need resurfacing, still not sure what happened/broke.

hmm. That blowed up GOOD! REAL GOOD!

:killtard:

Final Update:
After further inspection and pullin stuff out, turns out that the pilot bearing was worn out, and as I was going down the hill the bearings inside it fell out and caused the whole thing to go to hell. The flywheel has never been resurfaced, yet the clutch has been replaced at least once. Also found out that the bearings in my tranny are almost gone so its time for the SM420, and that clutch locking up may have been the last straw for my rearend. :tear: I'm going back up there in a week to work on the farm and am going to get it all fixed up then. At least in the process I know a lot more about clutches which will help when installing the SM420.

Unfortunately you'll be replacing that clutch disk when you install the sm420. Glad you had a farmer nearby!

Unfortunately you'll be replacing that clutch disk when you install the sm420. Glad you had a farmer nearby!
$H!T !!!!! :tear: I was afraid of that.
I was on my friends farm the whole time, they have 930 acres, 650 of which are mountainous woods. Its like having your very own ORV park with all the tractors/dozers you could ever need to pull you out! :D Who needs Tellico? ;)

:-/I was wheeling in the jungle here in Thailand in the peak of rainy season when my slave cylinder froze and my clutch plate fried. I was the sole occupier of my wagon for nearly a month with swollen rivers and washed out log bridges and a bad hip joint problem. I was 13 kilograms lighter when a college came in with a replacement cluth. So be thankful you were near help. ALWAYS replace your pilot bearing and throw out when replace the clutch. :banana:

I thought you might find some goodies when you dropped the inspection cover....Good news is... it'll all be new going forward and sounds like you've the luck of the Irish....A farmer with a good shop...by that man a few :beer: :beer: :beer: You'll be back in action in no time :eek:

This can also happen with you go down a hill in gear, clutch in, and pick up too much speed. the clutch is still spinning as fast as it would if it was engaged, and overspeed can make it go KA-BLOW!!

Remember, the clutch is directly attached to the drivetrain at ALL TIMES, unless you're in neutral.

Guys with crawl boxes frequently do this going downhill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom