Dave From Toyota - What We Learned In Breck About The 200... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyota doesn't give a f!uck about any of our suggestions, that's for sure.

That said, I would like bigger wheel wheels, bigger touchscreen interface (Toyota has already stolen the Tesla screen for its Prius Prime)
2017-Toyota-Prius-Prime-cabin.jpg

, and factory 35s.
And no crappy pimp my ride screens in the headrests XD

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this, Greg. I was very much hoping someone would share their notes as I couldn't be there on Saturday. As for the comments on LC vs LX, he did say that this was his "preference". Everyone has preferences. That's not a suggestion that it is somehow "less" or "more" for someone else.

As for the 300, I am pleased that they are sticking with body on frame. Land Rover has abandoned that with their new Discovery. Sad for LR fans. I also had the first LR4 that went from the V8 to a super-charged 6. The torque was a lot lower in the SC6 - even with the 8-speed. The LC has it pretty good having the V8 married to the 8-speed transmission.

Also glad to hear that Toyota love the LC and don't plan to abandon.

Old fart here (68). Just bought my last 200 series. It will out last me 2015 with 17k miles. I only drive about 8k miles a year. You catch my reasoning on it being my last. I love big 6000lb body on frame SUV's powered by big V8's that are not even working at all to get me down the road. Who wants a stressed out turbo charged V6? I love a big over built beast. I just hope for my fellow Mud brothers Toyota keeps providing them!!!

If they move to a turbo six (as they have with the new LS), even with a power bump, it will be a downgrade in my opinion. Turbocharged engines can be more fuel efficient, and are standard on the world's fastest performance cars, but over a large amount of miles they can also be expected to require more maintenance than a normally aspirated engine (and make more money for Toyota).

Million Mile Tundra:
The Million-Mile 2007 Toyota Tundra

The 200 with its gas guzzling naturally aspirated 5.7L V8 may be the last of its kind. I plan on keeping mine.

Last edited:
For folks saying big brands don't listen... BMW made a stripped down version of the M235i one year after the model launched because of much cajoling from the crowd. That crowd happened to be their target market and they wanted them to let go of their old E46's and buy the new 2-series, so they gave in. It can happen. Of course BMW is much more agile, but it happened.

Just think, somewhere out in the world, a prototype 300-series is probably now undergoing severe duty testing, much like its forebears have:

Just think, somewhere out in the world, a prototype 300-series is probably now undergoing severe duty testing, much like its forebears have:

That was Dave in the video testing in Oman... :)

Good question would be about 70 series being inserted in the USA market ( 1GR variant at least )
I asked that question and won't happen. It would compete with the 4Runner and other safety requirements needed.

How many people are going to spend $85k for a new LC and take it off-roading?

Let's face it, Toyota is after the luxury market with the LC.

Toyota knows most won't take it off road but some will. There are a handful of us - @indycole myself and maybe some others that bought off the showroom floor and immediately began with mods and hitting trails.

I don't believe Toyota is only pursuing the luxury market with the LC--luxury and off road capability/toughness are not mutually exclusive. The only way the LC remains a halo vehicle worth over $80k is for Toyota to engineer it the way they have.

Dave from Toyota stated unequivocally that the 200 is the toughest, most durable vehicle Toyota has ever sold in the states.

Not to mention that I expect a good number of Land Rover LR4 owners to switch to a Land Cruiser when their LR4's finally wear out. Unless Land Rover comes out with a new Defender in the LC price range, those buyers are going to find the LC the closest thing to what they liked about their LR3/4.

As for buying a new LC and taking it "off road", some of us have/are doing it. But that segment is tiny compared to the overall market. Toyota does have a couple things working for them, though. First, they have the LX570 for those who prefer a bit more luxury while compromising a bit on aftermarket, off road "enhancements". Second, they have kept the LC "modifiable". They may not offer a stock off road version but they are also reasonably easy to modify - probably the easiest in its class (though it does tend to be in its own class). With the Land Rover LR4s the stock tires were 255/55 R19s and it was very difficult to get much larger. Lifting was much more difficult and you still had issues with tires. Also less after market options. And the latest LR4 exterior styling queues were much more about "I want to look pretty" than "I want to look hardy, robust, capable, reliable." So for off road and over landing segment, I don't think a strong, reliable, highway-comfortable, LC customized with owner-selected enhancements is a bad thing. If Toyota started trying to do it themselves, some of us may not like the choices the make and it may be harder to modify those choices. So buying new or used then customizing to personal needs/tastes seems like a great way to go for me.

I'm in agreement with LALC. Living in Southern Africa, the cruisers we get down here are largely dependent upon the European and Australian markets. For the longest time, we only got the 200 VX and the various 70 series models. Many people were begging for Toyota to bring the 200 GX to South Africa/Namibia, and after some conversations between LCCSA (land cruiser club of South Africa), Toyota dealers, and the head Toyota rep, the 200 GX was brought into Southern Africa, and it's been a hit! Here's the video of the tour they did to launch the 200 GX in souther Africa: .

As for people never taking brand new 200's off-road. Mine had less than 200 km's on it before it hit the dirt. I then put 400 km's on it of horrible washboards, thick sand, washed out bush tracks, all while towing an off-road caravan. They're amazing vehicles even in stock form. Though my stock form is a stripped down version of the US version with a manual tranny.

What I specifically love about the LC is that they build it as a global car. That's old school Toyota. Even if they make it with a turbo, I'm sure its a turbo that would survive in the Middle East, Africa, Russia and South America. So no worries there. That said, hope it comes along sooner than later!

I don't know the idea of a turbo V6 is ANTI land cruiser to me. The Land Cruiser is a Land Cruiser because of the BIG gas guzzling V8. Putting a V6 I think will be a bad idea. I don't know how much mpg will be gained in such a heavy truck. A V6 will never feel the same as a luxurious V8.

Just read that truck comparison of the raptor Chevy Z2 and the big bad ass Dodge three-quarter ton monster. Yes who won last place was the raptor aluminum body V6 engine didn't do what raptors are supposed to do second-place was a midsize Chevy truck was some aftermarket equipment they named Izzy to in first place was a big bad monster heavy duty 7000 pound all steel V-8 ram yes who won last place was the raptor aluminum body V6 engine didn't do what raptors are supposed to do second-place was a midsize Chevy truck was some aftermarket equipment they named z2, in first place was a big bad monster heavy duty 7000 pound all steel V8 ram truck I would stay with our current 200 series Big bad monster heavy duty steel V8 engine

I'll stake my money on the fact that the new LC will have the same (or mostly same) engine as the new LS500, twin turbo, 3.5L, 414hp and 443tq. The LS and the LC/LX have shared the same engine for 100 and 200 with the LS getting the engine first. I imagine it'll be similar with the 300 with a 2019 release as a 2020 model.

Last edited:
If they move to a turbo six (as they have with the new LS), even with a power bump, it will be a downgrade in my opinion. Turbocharged engines can be more fuel efficient, and are standard on the world's fastest performance cars, but over a large amount of miles they can also be expected to require more maintenance than a normally aspirated engine (and make more money for Toyota).

Million Mile Tundra:
The Million-Mile 2007 Toyota Tundra

The 200 with its gas guzzling naturally aspirated 5.7L V8 may be the last of its kind. I plan on keeping mine.

Turbos don't concern me, direct injection does. Unless the Tacoma's D-4S self-cleaning system is effective.

Toyota Advances D4S With Self-Cleaning Feature on Tacoma

I don't know the idea of a turbo V6 is ANTI land cruiser to me. The Land Cruiser is a Land Cruiser because of the BIG gas guzzling V8. Putting a V6 I think will be a bad idea. I don't know how much mpg will be gained in such a heavy truck. A V6 will never feel the same as a luxurious V8.

The V8 has only been with the land cruiser over two generations (100 and 200 series). Prior to that, they were inline 6s.

To me, it's not so much about the engine architecture, rather that it delivers the scoot, in a linear and tractable way, with the utmost in durability. Toyota won't get this wrong. It will be measurably superior to the current engine in all metrics (as much as I like the current 5.7).

Just like the change from solid axle to IFS in the 100-series, it will be thoroughly evaluated and the correct engineering judgement will be made for the application, to meet the intent of the platform.

Besides, as TonyP mentioned earlier, turbo'd motors are immensely tunable compared to a naturally aspirated motor. Based on the anticipated outputs, I wouldn't be surprised if it were easily tunable to 550+ hp with minimal mods.

I'll stake my money on the fact that the new LC will have the same (or mostly same) engine as the new LS500, twin turbo, 3.5L, 414hp and 443tq. The LS and the LC/LX have shared the same engine for 100 and 200 with the LS getting the engine first. I imagine it'll be similar with the 300 with a 2019 release as a 2020 model.

Yes, they have shared similar architectures. But surely will have different dressing and parts (pistons, cams, etc.), as Toyota SUVs and trucks are tuned for low end grunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom