Dash warning lights flickering / coming on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So - I think the seized alternator was my fault (sort of…). When the engine was rebuilt it appears that the main lower mounting bolt was put in the wrong way. This resulted in the larger nut pressing against the alternator housing instead of it being the other way and the smaller bolt head pressing against a tube that moves in a hole in the housing (if that makes sense….)
When I tightened the nut and bolt, the new alternator could not be turned as it warps the whole housing. I turned the nut and bolt around and it could be tightened with no pressure in the housing or shaft…
Also - in the Gates belt guide (at Repco) it states the 12ht manual alternator belt is a 15A-1055. This didn’t even go close (way too short). I ended up with a Gates 15A-1105 and it seems to be the perfect length. Hopefully this bit of a saga is now finally sorted!

So - I think the seized alternator was my fault (sort of…). When the engine was rebuilt it appears that the main lower mounting bolt was put in the wrong way. This resulted in the larger nut pressing against the alternator housing instead of it being the other way and the smaller bolt head pressing against a tube that moves in a hole in the housing (if that makes sense….)
When I tightened the nut and bolt, the new alternator could not be turned as it warps the whole housing. I turned the nut and bolt around and it could be tightened with no pressure in the housing or shaft…
Also - in the Gates belt guide (at Repco) it states the 12ht manual alternator belt is a 15A-1055. This didn’t even go close (way too short). I ended up with a Gates 15A-1105 and it seems to be the perfect length. Hopefully this bit of a saga is now finally sorted!
Good find and only after losing a couple alternators. Some people would have just kept replacing alternators and wondered why they were having such luck 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom