dash rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've got this dash rattle in my LX450, i've had it since i got the truck, but now that i'm getting so many things fixed on it, it's time to tackle this one...

finding it very tough to troubleshoot, i thought before i really dug into it i'd share a video see if anybody else has had this one....

it's like a slapping sound almost... also before you ask, it's nothing in the glove box... might be something BEHIND the glove box.... sound makes no difference with it open or closed... also sounds a bit higher up than the glove box

FWIW, I had a similar rattle and it ended up being some kind of control module behind the speaker grille to the right of the glove box, mounting screws were loose.

I have the exact same rattle - I've yet to track it down.

Maybe I'll start tearing into it this weekend since it's a long and for once dry weekend here in Oregon.

Do you have someone that can drive while you ride shotgun with a flashlight and stethoscope? Maybe pull passenger seat out so you can lie down easily.

There's a cooling fan behind the radio that may make a noise. I cannot watch the video on my work computer, so I couldn't listen to that. (YouTube is blocked) The cooling fan looks just like a computer cooling fan.

Search "Head Unit Cooling Fan" and see what you get.

so i dug into this today, had the glovebox out, my arm about as far up into the dash as i could reach it desperately looking for anything lose and rattling... i did find a sensor attached up through the dash up by the windshield that was kind of a little loose and made a distinct rattle, but it wasn't THE rattle...

by happenstance i accidentally bashed my elbow into the passenger side door and heard it!!!! after punching it several times i found it was the speaker... either the speaker grille or the paper cone... when i popped it off, making sure to break most of the plastic clips ( :( ) i found the cone pretty much completely disentegrated from the rest of the speaker, held on by the two wires... clipped them off and no more rattle...

i've got the pioneers on the shelf anyway, so no biggie...

It's a metal on metal sound. Perhaps a mounting screw has come loose or fallen off the engine ecu above the glove box.

I read this as "death rattle" and was mildly disappointed when I clicked the YouTube link.

Glad you found the issue, though. It's specific to pioneer or just the general speaker placement that caused the issue?

no, it was either the PO breaking one of the tabs off of the OEM speaker grille, or the OEM speaker cone disentegrating...

pioneers are going in as replacement...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom