Is there a thread for behind the dash rattle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone.
Appreciate all the help on here.

As I'm on here today getting ready to assemble almost a complete new coolant system, I'm reminded of a noise that came only for a few seconds then gone for the rest of the day.
It sounds like somebody dropped a couple pebbles down a plastic pipe rattling on the way down and then it always went away after about 3 or 4 seconds.

I used to think it was something to do with my coolant/heater core system because it mostly happened when I turned on the heater in the morning but now I'm not so sure because that was just the norm to get the heater running when I started my day in the morning. I recall it MAY have done this without turning on the heater as well. Just can't remember precisely.

I've read online for other types of vehicles a possible similar sound could be a gear issue in the motors that control the heater/ac/high/low/ outside/inside air circulator, levers?
I should have my truck up and running again within a week and this time I'll have my video cam ready to catch this noise if I can but until then, really curious if anyone has dealt with the same sound behind dash.
Thanks ya'll!

Hey everyone.
Appreciate all the help on here.

As I'm on here today getting ready to assemble almost a complete new coolant system, I'm reminded of a noise that came only for a few seconds then gone for the rest of the day.
It sounds like somebody dropped a couple pebbles down a plastic pipe rattling on the way down and then it always went away after about 3 or 4 seconds.

I used to think it was something to do with my coolant/heater core system because it mostly happened when I turned on the heater in the morning but now I'm not so sure because that was just the norm to get the heater running when I started my day in the morning. I recall it MAY have done this without turning on the heater as well. Just can't remember precisely.

I've read online for other types of vehicles a possible similar sound could be a gear issue in the motors that control the heater/ac/high/low/ outside/inside air circulator, levers?
I should have my truck up and running again within a week and this time I'll have my video cam ready to catch this noise if I can but until then, really curious if anyone has dealt with the same sound behind dash.
Thanks ya'll!
That would be the mouse in the heater fan. He can only keep up for the first few seconds, then he's plastered against the vanes for the rest of the trip.

Pull your heater fan out the bottom. Easy job to check and clean.

That would be the mouse in the heater fan. He can only keep up for the first few seconds, then he's plastered against the vanes for the rest of the trip.

I hope you're right, and I'll let you know as soon as I get this rig back on the road within a week.

That's air bubbles in your heater core. Had the same thing for a while. RPMs go up and I hear that sound in the dash.
I don't have a 'burper', so over time the sound eventually went away as the air bubbles worked their way out of the heater core and eventually into the coolant res bottle.
Kept an eye on the coolant res bottle level during the process. Always maintained the bottle level at > half full. Noted the level after each hour+ run. If below half full thereafter, replenished to half full. Then ran again.
Repeated until no more marbles in a pipe in the dash and res bottle remained > half full after each run.

A burper is the faster option imo. lol

I'm reminded of a noise that came only for a few seconds then gone for the rest of the day.
I get a sound like that from time to time. Sounds like it could be in the dash, but I'm pretty sure it's just a loose heat shield somewhere on the exhaust. I ignore it.

That's air bubbles in your heater core. Had the same thing for a while. RPMs go up and I hear that sound in the dash.
I don't have a 'burper', so over time the sound eventually went away as the air bubbles worked their way out of the heater core and eventually into the coolant res bottle.
Kept an eye on the coolant res bottle level during the process. Always maintained the bottle level at > half full. Noted the level after each hour+ run. If below half full thereafter, replenished to half full. Then ran again.
Repeated until no more marbles in a pipe in the dash and res bottle remained > half full after each run.

A burper is the faster option imo. lol
Interesting. Starting tomorrow on my entire coolant system starting with heater core flush.
I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom