Dakota Digital cruise control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I have what I think was a delaer-installed cruise control system on my 62. Works off a magnet strapped to the driveshaft and uses a vacuum actuator to control a secondary throttle cable. Looking at more modern aftermarket cruise control systems, I saw that Dakota Digital sells a system that uses an electric actuator to control the cable, plus there's an add-on that'll use a GPS antenna as a speed signal to the controller, eliminating the sensor and magnet underneath the truck.

My CC works just fine at this point, but I'd love to eliminate the magnet and sensor, along with the bulky vacuum actuator. Has anyone installed the Dakota Digital kit, or had one installed on their 62? I'm considering doing it one day down the road, so I'm wondering if I'd be the guinea pig.

I have installed a couple hundred aftermarket cruise controls back in the day for dealerships including Toyota from 93 to 01 while working in the car audio buissness what we used was vacume operated with a throttle cable also cable driven vehicles. When installing we used vacume tach and brake trigger. Never heard of something on the driveshaft must be some old school vss. No way to eliminate the vacume operated cruise without a fly by wire gas pedal. :steer:

These are the kits I'm looking at. Looks like the actuator is all electric with no vacuum input. I like how with these you can order the separate GPS receiver to use in place of the speed sensor.

I think the system in my 62 was made by Dana. Not 100% on that one though.

I would like to see pics of the stuff on the driveshaft think may have seen that before but not for cruise control pretty neat either way if it was done by the dealership.

Audiovox used to sell a cruise control system exactly as Spook describes. For vehicles without a VSS (even carburated) it came with a magnet to strap to the driveshaft, plus a sensor to pick up the magnet. Then you had to throw some dip switches for approximate revs/mile.

Will still have the actuator is what i am saying with a cable driven system
Right, yeah. This still uses an actuator. Just no vacuum lines to run and have the possibility of leaks. Next time I have my kick panels out I'll take some pics of the control box for my system and upload them.

@Spook50 ...These two work together. This went on my 62 when new in early 1990. The servo and cable portion is still in service today. The speedo sensor I've replaced twice...over the past 30 years. I seriously considered going with the 5-speed conversion until I got my vehicle out during restoration and realized that cruise control was still quite convenient. That motivated me to do all the A440 operating temp reduction mods.

Amazon product ASIN B0089MQ3R0
Amazon product ASIN B007ZCQD9S
The stalk design is different, but I'm sure can still easily install on the steering wheel housing just in front of the turn indicator. It looks like factory work when installed.

Amazon.com: Rostra 250-3742 Universal Left-Hand Mount Open Circuit Cruise Control Switch: Automotive

By the way, IIRC, you also need a speed sensor adapter as shown on the Dakota Digital page here. I don't see it in either kit or on Amazon. Speed Sensor Adaptors
Yeah if I were to change out my cruise control I'd get the electronic speedo kit from Dakota Digital and the GPS receiver for it so I wouldn't have to worry about running speed sensor adapters or anything like that.

Also you can still use cruise control with a manual transmission.

Yeah if I were to change out my cruise control I'd get the electronic speedo kit from Dakota Digital and the GPS receiver for it so I wouldn't have to worry about running speed sensor adapters or anything like that.

Need to add a clutch switch with a manual transmission.

I like the GPS connection. I use a phone app that displays elevation and ground speed.

Well, it wasn't the only reason to keep the A440. A drive up a local mountainous highway with lots of hairpins reminded me to consider how much I'd be shifting. I like to shift, but not that much. I'll let the kids ponder that when I can't drive it any more...in about 25 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom