Cyclonic air filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I'm debating whether I should modify my current air filter assembly on my USA 08/85 FJ60 or whether I should try to find a non-USA cyclonic air filter. Are there any out there for sale? And if I go with the non-USA, would it be possible to save all of the emissions stuff and the hot air intake? Do the cyclonic filters work any better? Thank you!

Zachary Rothe

no he's talking about the oem cyclonic filters...

You won't be able to use the hot air intake.

They are out there just tougher to find.

Sorry to steal the thread, Zachary, but talking about cyclonic air filters, I found a cool feature Toyota puts into some cruisers. There is a cyclonic precleaner built into the air ducting to the air filter. The duct that looks like an innocent piece of tubing until you remove it. Thee is a rubber bladder underneath the tubing to allow dust to collect.

Dave
air intake.JPG
air intake2.JPG

beanz2 said:
Sorry to steal the thread, Zachary, but talking about cyclonic air filters, I found a cool feature Toyota puts into some cruisers. There is a cyclonic precleaner built into the air ducting to the air filter. The duct that looks like an innocent piece of tubing until you remove it. Thee is a rubber bladder underneath the tubing to allow dust to collect. Dave

Hey....what's a Hiclone doing in a LC? :D

Ya, those are cool eh. I've noticed a few too. Some that tuck into the fender I've noticed have the spinner right before a large catch basin, with valve on the bottom to release water. I suppose to spin out dust/dirt and perhaps small amounts of water.

ZRotheohv, I am not familure with the air can in your truck, however we have two HJ61's we are parting out right now. They will have the baffle in the can that directs the air, and the dust bowl attached to the bottom. I replaced my Cdn spec BJ60 can with one from an HJ61 and it was bolt in.

hth's

gb

If you want an 'intake related' power increase...I would suggest a snorkel instead. Most people that I talk to say that the forward facing Safari snorkel provides an air-ram effect which thay find improves peppiness and overall power due to the cooler air drawn in.

I don't know from experience yet though.

Craig.

lumpy70 said:
If you want an 'intake related' power increase...I would suggest a snorkel instead. Most people that I talk to say that the forward facing Safari snorkel provides an air-ram effect which thay find improves peppiness and overall power due to the cooler air drawn in.

I don't know from experience yet though.

I think it's more the placebo effect. I never noticed a difference pre snorkel to post snorkel to post cyclonic prefilter power increase... and belive me I would notice if there was a change :D

:cheers:

and Zach.. unless you are in a VERY, VERY dusty environment I don't think the cyclonic will give you much benefit over standard filter. The only place I've found could use some xtra filtering was in Utah on the San Rafel Swell following multiple vehicles on gravel dirt roads for 4 days ;)

Yea the biggest reason I would get the cyclonic filter would be to mate to the Safari Snorkel. As it stands, the intake right now is behind the driver's side headlight, so it would need to be moved to the other side. I always hesitate to cut things, especially things that need to be air/water tight and thought this might be a better option over cutting into the USA type air filter. Come to think of it, though, if a hot air intake system was used on a snorkel setup, wouldn't it defeat the purpose? Even if the intake was hot enough that little flapper valve is probably not air or water tight, so wouldn't water would seep in through that thing? Would it be a huge loss in cold weather performance to get rid of the whole system? Thanks!

Zachary Rothe

Is there any reason NOT to use the cyclonic filter housing? ie: non-standard filters etc.?

Here it looks like that's what the FJ45LV will be getting 'cause that's the easiest to find :)

wesintl said:
I think it's more the placebo effect. I never noticed a difference pre snorkel to post snorkel to post cyclonic prefilter power increase... and belive me I would notice if there was a change :D

:cheers:

and Zach.. unless you are in a VERY, VERY dusty environment I don't think the cyclonic will give you much benefit over standard filter. The only place I've found could use some xtra filtering was in Utah on the San Rafel Swell following multiple vehicles on gravel dirt roads for 4 days ;)
i thought it was all BS till Paul told me that the best postion to point the intake is ... get this... towards the windshield.
so i tried it, i held my hand in front of the snorkle while driving down the road and there was some force against my hand, not much but noticable, behind and it was useless but if you hold your hand aprox where the intake is towards the windsheild and damn there is some real push there...

give it a try, you will be amazed.
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom