CW 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pretty sure I've managed to avoid having to weld on the rear drive shaft....unless my measurer is too short one end it'll be about 3/4" from full compression at rest which should be close enough for the girls I know.

There's quite a few variations of driveshaft out there in cruiserland. Gives you some options before you start cutting and welding.
20190118_104808.jpg

20190118_104756.jpg

I banged in some new universals while I was at it, mainly because I had a different bolt pattern at the tcase end, so I did some mixing and matching, meant taking two ends apart, but still easier than redrilling.

Been a decade or so since I did a ujoint. One of those cruiser spares you buy then never actually use because they take 30 years to wear out. :lol:

20190118_153539.jpg

And just so Cam doesn't have a schizoid embolism , they don't count as new parts if they were free :flipoff2:

I like building driveshafts, not sure why but I find it satisfying. Probably due to the fact people say you can't do it yourself.

(your nipple looks askew)

I like building driveshafts, not sure why but I find it satisfying. Probably due to the fact people say you can't do it yourself.

Hey big fella, pretty impressed with your wordage.. Asskew..:poop:

They do say that. I rather enjoy proving those tacoma owning swine wrong. :flipoff2:
I agree with you tho. It is kinda fun. One of the few times you can be a bit precise on a street legal tractor.

Last edited:
Minor s*** today because I just didn't feel like getting dirty.

I wasn't happy with the adapters I'd made for the fixed end of the rear springs. The chev springs are a bit narrower, so I needed a spacer as well , and a stack of washers is like something a Victorian would do...

So I continued to abuse the wood lathe and made a couple of these. ( this frame has different rear pins than other cruisers...considerably larger diameter , guessing they're the same as a 75 series)

More better. :)
20190121_122137.jpg

20190121_125334.jpg

Not 100% done. Think I'll countersink the bolt a bit, give it some shape to look more like the old fj45 pins.

Last edited:
Now they're done. Not that it makes one iota of difference, but they do look better with a bit of shape to them.
5-Y8D85nRZJxpAkwb7NKrISpFUsaPy2ehVv8RiLU50KnEZByLogmpZERW5Pn2yQ1M83L7Da27xvTROBLRzuiUP9dgDRseTCBBNuzyxYlqEt2U1oI55_EaFOSYXP-IAWZ0qqLiTLdt0JYBr92Rwpswq7tmOAL3XmWJe_l4FwnfJ72fjz1lGLYOb3NvUAe6-9Varnwz2oi-vrlEZ2LY7sScsMCE7GvBsvFQKmkQkwB_AwG5hgn_J2GQBIjiDnY4813BPDyG0-uSj8UWaggOS6BGJL3MTpyMrSmJFVitq09raYpe1zP-EvyCFzbO_S0KoKf6XrZFE2fXjHTTnakkpE3HPYe8vDA8aROZ5rGO2bY5hmQ5Mad57HS5L36qvlNNpmx97-BawUfc804keHkWnTY8w0AQTpdXLMZFnX_oaJsZvti2IPTQHmpHwgKl5NE3T3aVWx4njnYz7B3dsA1UOS1kFYTC44cnPj81LLoOxM8Y9CbVZpqWxg1066l-vinW5Fv3U5EN0j7EVJQfo1lV0gPwsz518KINKeFHynsOBvnTj5PB9RPPMXuuyddHgPc10anXtJTADvbC_2MDqm3-EC9lxY2QUfCLF8KN7IsHLd-kvKQDJOOV_oCOvR7Ftrhyf7wyLYb7eyiIneO7VKQWZda561-=w794-h1058-no

Got some shiny s***. Fits ok . I'll have to do a bit of notching to get it lower in the mount, but I'm changing the way the rad support attaches anyways. Figger I'll use the bj60 mounts, should keep the vibrations away from the shiny s*** a bit better.

About the last real purchase of new stuff I'll have to make. Other than tires I guess...and maybe a clutch, as the one in there looks like it was "lady driven" :lol:

SDV37Q6BTgOp-SNK4SVYXpQQOpEIhsDi15zeoEM-e51nzZC-wiHLNEpdq3BnPSAgomxNgdpVo_8CFJNF-BIrMvTiN662TriJqbJMWNVMuUtsEzz21ekQK2XFdCM-QC0O8IT91UUnCiFA_EodydL1-EOngLEjOlcGFAeSmhbwptyngbjKQ_NDMH7vcerByCB85zPQiWWnktbJrzTMWDNfUzRNvqHIdtODFBkko1V1mkQeOgSRxhcEAfjI_5lA2sU2GgnGSu5sk5rfaubmIRX19AaSOPr8kF3RdCUrMoydYmZbTPrB6X3UP0ArpqHrr3kpvapaxYse_toRnraWtKf-zJn1_Jy8Kplvgdu-0DNEb_ppbdLmhoPVctZ-JICgLzklqmLa2wRzPr-bFCPxS4Ljpeo6So79Eo8OF0EaDrktwBtZk6RK8AaKHIh9zx_6phZExJ_x5whTAoeCZ5XhD2H2I56L9vmVDuCfWgiVM87Im-jaEf2PBovbogX9iITeVwUlDbo6qcxG6DtM3xaMoLP-LMbs8foyORFaGn5Tz_P3SKoNgDik67i7TWc5gpJ8ngWehlCoL_Goco9QEAgxV7I7S6LbRe3I2UZiRCQ-lCqNyz_Q1aRHBHEzbtkkgkb-qg76aCh-GZVXfVHtbnSYCZFlMeu3=w794-h1058-no

Lookin' good!

That's a nice rad, where did you end up snagging that from?

Minor s*** today because I just didn't feel like getting dirty.

I wasn't happy with the adapters I'd made for the fixed end of the rear springs. The chev springs are a bit narrower, so I needed a spacer as well , and a stack of washers is like something a Victorian would do...

So I continued to abuse the wood lathe and made a couple of these. ( this frame has different rear pins than other cruisers...considerably larger diameter , guessing they're the same as a 75 series)

More better. :)
View attachment 1885651

View attachment 1885652

Not 100% done. Think I'll countersink the bolt a bit, give it some shape to look more like the old fj45 pins.

Yeah, but a Victorian doesn't use a drill press for a horizontal mill or a wood lathe to turn steel on. Banjoes-a-blazin' back in the sticks of ol' Cedar i guess...

Yeah, but a Victorian doesn't use a drill press for a horizontal mill or a wood lathe to turn steel on. Banjoes-a-blazin' back in the sticks of ol' Cedar i guess...
Well, maybe if they did, they'd actually finish a project once in a while eh? :flipoff2:

I'm not a tool snob, back at the boatyard you'd get the rockstars showing up, wanting to know where all the jigs and special tools were, boss would shrug, get out a chisel, mallet and hand plane, make the part.

I've been looking for a better lathe for the last 6 months, but they're overpriced worn out junk around here, with 10 guys in front of you in line waiting to pay the ridiculous price, or they require a crane truck to move. I don't really want either.

Pacific Northwest is a s***ty place to try to buy machines, all the old factories were back east, so everything here is marked up 50%. So just spending more doesn't solve the issue.
Gets to the point where the choice becomes, and old us machine that needs lots of work, or a new taiwanese machine that you can just use.

Undecided, but I'm getting tired of waiting and missing out on good machines because I called more than an hour after the ad was posted. If the us wasn't such a s***show I'd do a road trip to pick something up, but not a chance right now.

As for a horizontal mill, I'd love a little burke, but I haven't done any horizontal milling. Just drilled a few holes. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Lookin' good!

That's a nice rad, where did you end up snagging that from?

Ebay special. About 300 bucks, looks pretty well made, so we'll see.

Probably the same factory the ones you'd get at lordco etc would come from. I read somewhere there were only a couple places out there making the cores, so even a fancy expensive one is probably not a lot different from one of these.

But yeah, we'll see if the water stays on the inside of it...:lol:

Last edited:
Well, maybe if they did, they'd actually finish a project once in a while eh? :flipoff2:

I'm not a tool snob, back at the boatyard you'd get the rockstars showing up, wanting to know where all the jigs and special tools were, boss would shrug, get out a chisel, mallet and hand plane, make the part.

So if a part needs making, I make it. If I can't, then I get better tools or think of another way. That's where the fun is.

I've been looking for a better lathe for the last 6 months, but they're overpriced worn out junk around here, with 10 guys in front of you in line waiting to pay the ridiculous price, or they require a crane truck to move. I don't really want either.

Pacific Northwest is a s***ty place to try to buy machines, all the old factories were back east, so everything here is marked up 50%. So just spending more doesn't solve the issue.
Gets to the point where the choice becomes, and old us machine that needs lots of work, or a new taiwanese machine that you can just use.

Undecided, but I'm getting tired of waiting and missing out on good machines because I called more than an hour after the ad was posted. If the us wasn't such a s***show I'd do a road trip to pick something up, but not a chance right now.

As for a horizontal mill, I'd love a little burke, but I haven't done any horizontal milling. Just drilled a few holes. :flipoff2:

We're always surprised here at UVic at the fortunes people spend when we sell super beat up old milling machines and lathes. We try to hide our chuckles as these guys back down the loading bay in their trucks to pick-up; thinking they've scored an awesome deal. Milling machines where the table looks like the face of the moon thanks to years of students driving end mills into it. Lathes where you can almost see the dip in the Way from end to end (from lack of regular cleaning/oiling).

We're always surprised here at UVic at the fortunes people spend when we sell super beat up old milling machines and lathes. We try to hide our chuckles as these guys back down the loading bay in their trucks to pick-up; thinking they've scored an awesome deal. Milling machines where the table looks like the face of the moon thanks to years of students driving end mills into it. Lathes where you can almost see the dip in the Way from end to end (from lack of regular cleaning/oiling).
Yep, those are the ones I'm trying to avoid. :lol:

At some point I'm just gonna say ****it and get something. Whether from busybee or somewhere else I'm not sure .

I want a lathe to use not rebuild or spend years chasing. Even that little wood lathe with the "metal kit" I have the guy had 50 emails by the time I got to his house.

Anyway , today I used my indifferent sheet metal skills to turn a s***ty fan shroud that really didn't fit, into a s***ty fan shroud that doesn't really fit.

20190124_124354.jpg

Been threatening for years to make a removable top section so I could get to the water pump without a massive headache .

Yep, those are the ones I'm trying to avoid. :lol:

At some point I'm just gonna say f***it and get something. Whether from busybee or somewhere else I'm not sure .

I want a lathe to use not rebuild or spend years chasing. Even that little wood lathe with the "metal kit" I have the guy had 50 emails by the time I got to his house.

We take good care of the equipment now. It was the previous machinist who was here for 40 years that allowed the equipment abuse to happen. If any good stuff comes up for sale I'll give you a heads up. Would be nice to know it was going to a good home. Usually it goes up on BC Auction, but we might be able to swing something else.

Nice fan shroud; I like that you made it removable - good idea. I made a new top for mine also, and ended up riveting it on to the existing shroud. Now I wish I'd made it removable as you have. I always dread removing my fan and shroud, as it always scratches the s*** out of my forearms.

We take good care of the equipment now. It was the previous machinist who was here for 40 years that allowed the equipment abuse to happen. If any good stuff comes up for sale I'll give you a heads up. Would be nice to know it was going to a good home. Usually it goes up on BC Auction, but we might be able to swing something else.

Nice fan shroud; I like that you made it removable - good idea. I made a new top for mine also, and ended up riveting it on to the existing shroud. Now I wish I'd made it removable as you have. I always dread removing my fan and shroud, as it always scratches the s*** out of my forearms.

" a good home " have you not been following along? :hillbilly:

and yeah I did the water pump on the 61 without removing the shroud .

I looked like a "cutter" for a week afterwards :lol:

Got things sorta together. There was trimmage after this.
20190124_143746.jpg

Then I started getting paranoid it was all too high so I did a test fit of the hood and the easy parts of the clip. Forgot how much room there is under a 40 hood.

20190124_164853.jpg

I'll need to space the bib up about 1.5", but I knew that already . Just the way a 70's body fits on a 90's frame.

Think I'll weld a bit of square tube to bottom of the bib to close up the gap, but I can probably reduce it by messing with body mounts too.

I'm gonna have all the colours covered :lol:

Now. Beer time.

Last edited:
Did some stuff. Played with body mounts to reduce the shim up front, pretty sure I have the body parallel to the frame now, hard to tell on a 70 frame, not a lot of flat spots, but it looks right to me.

I had to redo the middle mounts a bit , apparently I used too much measuring fluid...:lol: Done now and bolted down, and I filled in the corners.
20190202_130838.jpg

That colour is actually a flat green I'm not very fond of, just wet there.

Did some staring at the arse end. This plywood bit is 5'6", which is how long I'm hoping to make the deck. Obviously it'll have more shape at the back when finished. I can live with that amount behind the axle.
20190126_150158.jpg

Rear crossmember fell off. :lol:
20190201_131819.jpg

Extra foot. Need the frame close to back of the box for hitches etc.
And a bit more room for fuel tank, with the axle moved back it was a bit toight...
20190201_144854.jpg

20190201_145711.jpg

I'll plate the inside of the joint obviously, might be part of tank mount.

Last edited:
So today if I get motivated to go outside, it's to turn a tranny hump that looks like a can of smashed assholes into something useful.

"Skunk, killed with an axe" Seriously, I think the shifter hole was made with a freaking axe. :lol:

20190202_164939.jpg

I suspect left hand drive pto shifters were different? I moved this over a bit. Looks tight on the gas foot .
20190202_133203.jpg

20190202_162136.jpg

Figger I'll use the 60 cover plate and have the hump in 2 pieces. It'll pretty much be cut in half by all these shifter boots anyways. Plus they're a bitch to get out when they're in one piece. Having to remove the seats first is nuts.
20190202_165300.jpg

Don't think I have the patience for s***ty tranny humps or sheet metal in general today. Had enough of that yesterday .

This about as far as I feel like going.

20190203_114718.jpg

Might be time for a beer and putting the plow on the lawn tractor , so I can clear the .25" of snow tonight :lol:

I say it all looks fine, lots of throttle leg room. I once made a shifter boot from canvas.... it sucked. Having those oem parts to play with must be helpful.

I say it all looks fine, lots of throttle leg room. I once made a shifter boot from canvas.... it sucked. Having those oem parts to play with must be helpful.
Yeah it's good now. Don't think it would have fit inside the hump had I not moved it over.

Tranny humps are just that one part of a cruiser I absolutely hate...colossal pains in the ass to work on...one starts to get a wee bit hostile :lol:

And yes, using up the stash I've been tripping over, moving and bitching about since the 90's, is deeply satisfying. :smokin:

Lookin' good! Did you hammer out the ribbing(lack of a better term) in the floor panels?
Spring it over!!!
Waiting for the episode of you welding those plywood sides to the box floor...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom