CW 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

please, please, we don't want to see your shaft that needs a few more inches.

Since you asked....

The newer 60 shaft fits perfectly, has a longer slip that has plenty of room to be pulled apart an inch or two.

Even ribbed for your pleasure. :flipoff2:

20190110_112211.jpg

Tightest rag joint I've ever driven with..:lol:

Sucked installing a new one and having to deal with all that slop again ...

Cinched tight with amsteel, the tape was just to contain the loose ends, cutting amsteel without shears or a brand new razor is kinda difficult

I'm going to have to go bug a parts guy about radiators soon. I have 3 gas 40 rads, but none are exactly fresh , and that bottom crossover pipe is a pain in the ass.

I dimly recalled poking around online back when I had moutard, that some old fords had rads that were close to the right size for a diesel 40, with the bottom fitting on the correct side.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sgt-cu329/overview/year/1970/make/ford/model/mustang

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sdk-339-3hf/overview/year/1970/make/ford/model/mustang

These are pretty damn close. Be nice if that top fitting was over a bit more, but that's easier to deal with than a bottom fitting.

I'm sure there's a vehicle out there with a rad that's damn near direct drop in for a 40. Just a question of finding it, and parts drones generally can't look things up by dimensions only by year model etc.

Didn’t someone have that same one on usedVic a couple months ago selling it at cost saying it almost fit..

The square part at the bottom didn’t fit Down all the way into the rad mounting bracket if i remember right. Or maybe it was an issue with the drain. I phoned the guy about it and I think I passed on it but I can’t be sure i didn’t buy it or not! :eek: It could be in my attic with the rest of the horde.

Found it
$60 · aluminum radiator suit Land Cruiser, Jeep, rat rod

Last edited:
Didn’t someone have that same one on usedVic a couple months ago selling it at cost saying it almost fit..

The square part at the bottom didn’t fit Down all the way into the rad mounting bracket if i remember right. Or maybe it was an issue with the drain. I phoned the guy about it and I think I passed on it but I can’t be sure i didn’t buy it or not! :eek: It could be in my attic with the rest of the horde.

Found it
$60 · aluminum radiator suit Land Cruiser, Jeep, rat rod

Some people freak the **** out when things don't quite fit...rather than use their brains and modify...

Let me know if you find it in your attic :lol:
Well played Nick.
Easy now...that little bush fix helped me avoid a full on Donner party scenario in a snowy hellscape with two hungry looking motherf**kers twice my size...I had no illusions about who'd be going on the bbq first :flipoff2:

if you can make a bj60 Rad fit, I have two sitting here

if you can make a bj60 Rad fit, I have two sitting here

Thanks, but it's all good. I have a 60 rad as well, the width is a problem. I did some ordering on the weekend at work, one of those ebay aluminum rads and a set of tie rod ends. The rad claims to be in California, but I suspect that "California" is coming with a Chinese shipping label :lol:

I'd rather have bought local, but I contacted the local cruiser sellers about tre's and didn't get a response.

Not surprized by the one, as the front page of the online store has a long winded paragraph about being too busy to respond to emails. Seems to me, an online store might need to deal with online communication . :meh:

so I ordered the tre's from aus. About the same price, depending on the vig demanded by customs, and should be here next week theoretically. Then I can finally get the front end buttoned up.

I cleaned up the rear springs from the blue 60, pretty sure it's an old set of emu's, so I'll ditch the s***ty ones out of the front for these. Downside is not being able to flip the leaf with the military wrap because of the goofy flat spots in emus, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Half the springs out there don't have one anyways.

The ol' suckometer was pinned yesterday. A long s***ty day like it always is doing front ends.
Injury to insult, I also swapped in the other set of 60 rears, today I'll hopefully get the shackle hangers moved, and I can see how it's actually going to sit. Maybe build a driveshaft or two.

Nice thing is another couple piles of parts can get dragged to the shed.
Shop gradually gets cleaner as more s*** gets put together.

Step 1....ghetto shop heat :lol:
20190116_085646.jpg

Step 2... turn that ****in brute off 2 hours later because I was sweating my arse off. Very old pellet stove, only works on high...:hillbilly:

20190116_164807.jpg

Just waiting on tre's now before I mount the steering box all permanent like.

Kindof amazed, placed order Saturday morning, got an email saying thanks for order on Sunday night, Tuesday night, got email saying that package cleared customs in Vancouver.

Might show up today or tomorrow...pretty quick from other side of the planet.

Rad will probably take months now, not sure how America's dysfunction affects usps...

Love the mill job. Double D's, yes please!

Love the mill job. Double D's, yes please!

Haha, yeah it was pretty barbaric. Ended up nice and smooth tho.

Got my tre's..

Shipped Monday morning from Brisbane , here Thursday morning. Nuts, but I'll take it.

I might be over my reluctance to order from aus.

20190117_142627.jpg

And for when you're too impatient for molasses :hillbilly:

20190117_150743.jpg

I also moved and zapped in the front shackle hangers. They clearly had the new guy weld on the rt one, came off in 2 minutes . Other side, not so much...:bang:

Done now at least .

20190117_132600.jpg

Guess you could say I'm maximizing spring and wheelbase lengths ..front hangers just shy of flush with end of frame, rears slightly past flush...:lol:

Maybe a driveshaft tomorrow. I'd like to move the shaft mountain to the shed before I trip over it for the 30th time.:cautious:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom