CV Boot Clamp/Strap Replacement (pics) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Dan. That's kinda what I figured, as the moly grease pictured above looks to be more of a last resort than a first option. :)

The only thing I worry about is mixing new stuff with the existing grease, since I'm not actually cleaning the CV's out (I've heard mixing greases can cause chemical separation issues?) but I would imagine that having CV's full of fresh grease mixed with the old stuff is better than having CV's with a low amount of old, runny, nasty grease that may or may not be doing it's job at this point.

I'll see what I can dig up. I've seen reports on other forums that there is some mythical type of CV grease that parts stores keep behind the counter, but I have yet to confirm this. :lol:

So I was under my truck the other day and noticed a similar leaking of grease out of the inner boots on both axles. It's a 2000 LC with 115k on it. After doing some spot wiping it looks as though it is the same problem - just a seeping out where the boot meets the shaft and not a tear in the boot. The boots themselves look in fantastic shape. Anyone here have updates after doing this clamp replacement? How long did the fix last? I'd certainly rather just replace the clamps for a 30 min job rather than do a whole rebuild, especially when everything looks good otherwise.

Karps,
If your boots are good, the clamps will solve your leaking issue. They are good clamps and they don't tear into the boot because they have rolled edges. Try them. Should solve your issue

cruzerDave, how did the Amazon parts work out for you?

LOL, they've been GREAT! (sitting in my drawers in the back of the truck...)

I couldn't get the time to put them on before a trip to the bay area so threw some worm drive clamps on in the hope they would minimize/help the leaking, and lo and behold not a drop after 500 miles! So I am waiting until I get some free time (storage drawer kits are all-consuming right now) to put the amazon bits on, but they *look* like they will work;)

And to clarify my situation, the truck had no leaks, had 107k miles, and then I cranked the torsion bars for some lift/leveling and that is when the leaks started, both sides. So for that kind of leak, worm drives are an easy fix, though I still intended to put the proper clamps on so the boots don't get cut by the wormies over time.

I'm having this problem too, but my current plan is to get the kit from Pfran.

Amazing how many mechanics look at this problem and want to replace anything else.

cruzerDave well, I may test them out and update before you get around to it! Mine are only seeping a tiny bit (cleaned them today with water and a rag so seepage rate can be monitored), and the boots are in perfect condition (2004, 115k miles). If it seems serious I will buckle down on finding the perfect clamp solution, but eventually it will have to be done.

El Cid, yup, any mechanic I've discussed this with insists on complete replacements of all boots AND shaft--- um, no.

cruzerDave well, I may test them out and update before you get around to it! Mine are only seeping a tiny bit (cleaned them today with water and a rag so seepage rate can be monitored), and the boots are in perfect condition (2004, 115k miles). If it seems serious I will buckle down on finding the perfect clamp solution, but eventually it will have to be done.

El Cid, yup, any mechanic I've discussed this with insists on complete replacements of all boots AND shaft--- um, no.

Luckily, I had a long conversation with a dedicated off road guy at Baertrax in Dallas, and my Cv boots were replaced at the time. He warned me that if it started to leak b cause the CV boots had slipped off, not to replace the axle unnecessarily. the LC axle is a good one, it shouldn't be tossed like a Jeep part.

That was two years ago and my drivers side boot has started isn't staying on. I've been given an estimate for new CV boots, an axle, etc.

Not once did anyone suggest a clamp upgrade or replacement..

Thanks for this thread, All. Really. Leaky inside boots here on both sides in the front as well. Was thinking it was going to be a huge $$ job.. After this thread, seems like it'll be ok.

Awesome.

Are you guys replacing the big and small clamps on the inner boots, or usually just the small outboard clamps? Very informative post.

just fixed a clamp this morning (only the driver side inner small one since that was the only one leaking). used one of those large needle syringe used for marinating turkeys to push some moly grease into the boot

thanks for the part/tool link cruzerDave!

Joining the thread. Immediately happened after doing an AHC sensor lift of approx 1.5”. The inner CV boot angle/geometry has changed making the boot hole/opening point a little downward causing the leak on that minute gap.

*All other band intact and dry, just this one.

D7295030-AC13-42C3-B6A7-8480D7DE8DC0.jpeg

Discovered this last week and started to work on it before dusk.

042106F0-F1DC-428D-AD15-CBCEE6D26516.jpeg
Upon thorough inspection there is no hole/rip/tear on the inner boot. Leak was coming only from that gap between the axle shaft and boot hole. Went ahead carefully cut the existing loose band. Cleaned all the grease that splattered in the area with paper towels.

3BF2EB2F-F22D-4212-9806-67ED7B520CA8.jpeg

3AE3B883-47DE-41F3-BC8F-56399C20082F.jpeg

Got the bands (small) from NAPA at around 4:30pm. Got home and discovered it won’t fit, guy gave me a small band about 1.5” short, should’ve taken out the old band before leaving home and brought it as sample. Napa closed at 5pm :doh: oh well tomorrow is another day:banana:

Last edited:
Update: unfortunately the NAPA (ALTROM brand) with 28.7mm - 35mm spec is too short and won’t reach the biggest setting (even at 35mm) to wrap on the grove of the boot. Napa has no available bands 10-30mm bigger than this so ended up just refunding it.

Unfortunately the LX will sit for a few days in the garage until Friday as I wait for my plan B clamp I ordered online to delivered:
56DD1649-FFC6-4751-97C9-4E5C2D7ECD5B.jpeg

The smaller band can accommodate of up to 1.7” in diameter hopefully enough to secure a good tight wrap on the boot and not cause anymore cv grease leak hence resolving the problem. Will update again soon.

Continuation:

Just couldn’t wait that long so I improvised a new solution. Found a ‘universal type’ boot clamp at napa website and verified the minimum and maximum diameter size and this one fits the bill:

Part number for future reference
EDC81D4C-FB21-40FE-B6F0-BBE0EEB05C9B.jpeg

47EB87DE-AB1A-4165-A06F-F57295EE687B.jpeg
46DE7CBF-8B4E-42E1-AF01-22B452FBA5B6.jpeg

Made a few errands, 40 mile trip and 70mph on the freeway, and it’s bone dry.

What is the deal with these bands? The tool I bought from O’Reilly bent immediately and now I’m worried that the clamp isn’t tight enough and I have to get new clamps. I tried hammering it down but stopped as soon as I saw that it was just deforming the new boot. Should I just cut my losses now and order some of those McMaster Carr clamps?
One other thing—the yellow bands are for the outboard side, correct? Why the two different types?

00956831-E8A1-4D4E-8D7C-F460A0520F41.jpeg

225C05B6-F555-4358-87DF-1B5491B04442.jpeg

----------------- The tool I bought from O’Reilly bent immediately -------------------

View attachment 2976454
Sorry, but those $11.99 specials at auto parts stores I consider "one use only" to get you out of a jam. If you plan on doing multiple clamps, or servicing your axles for years, spend the $30-$50 for good quality tools.
That clamp looks like a good one, you could even tighten it down with a decent tool if you get your hands on one.
I have a Lisle clamp tool that's lasted for YEARS and done hundreds of clamps.
Lisle 30800 CV Boot Clamp Tool

LIS-30800__58801.1372348113.jpg

That’s what I figured, but they bent so easily I honestly thought I must have done something wrong. Do you think I messed up my new boot, or can I just tighten the clamp with the new pliers I’m getting delivered today?

I'd tighten it with new pliers and run with it.
If you wheel a fair amount, you'll be doing it again in 60-80,000 miles anyway. The 99 has 189,000 miles on it now and I'm on my third set of front axles. I bought a set of rebuilt axles for $20 more than the boots would have cost from Toyota, and now just rebuild them myself and have a set ready to go when the boots let loose again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom