CV Axle Repair/Replacement Opinions - New OEMs vs. CVJ Moderate lift (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I just found out last night while doing an oil change that one of my inner cv boots is cracked, and has spit out a lot of cv grease. It's a 2005 GX470 with 150k miles. At 140k it had a lift done. That explains the boot issue I'm dealing with..

To keep it brief, I'm debating between buying new OEM axles, or buying the CVJ remanufactured OEM axles with the boots that are specifically made for moderately lifted vehicles (9808 TR - CVJ Axles - https://www.cvjreman.com/product/9808tr/ ). Or do i just do the OEM boot repair myself with the assumption that the CV isn't damaged?

I'm asking for opinions, what would you guys do? would you recommend installing new OEM replacement axles as the best choice, or would you choose something like the CVJ remanufactured OEM axles with different inner boots made for lifted GXs?.. This is for a 1.5'-2" lifted GX470? It does have the diff. drop done as well.

I would consider just doing the entire rebuild OEM boot route, but I just recently got back rom a 4000 mile trip, and the boot could've torn any time during the trip. So I'm not sure how contaminated the joint is. No noticeable noises though..

Thanks for any opinions in advance!

Hi,

I just found out last night while doing an oil change that one of my inner cv boots is cracked, and has spit out a lot of cv grease. It's a 2005 GX470 with 150k miles. At 140k it had a lift done. That explains the boot issue I'm dealing with..

To keep it brief, I'm debating between buying new OEM axles, or buying the CVJ remanufactured OEM axles with the boots that are specifically made for moderately lifted vehicles (9808 TR - CVJ Axles - https://www.cvjreman.com/product/9808tr/ ). Or do i just do the OEM boot repair myself with the assumption that the CV isn't damaged?

I'm asking for opinions, what would you guys do? would you recommend installing new OEM replacement axles as the best choice, or would you choose something like the CVJ remanufactured OEM axles with different inner boots made for lifted GXs?.. This is for a 1.5'-2" lifted GX470? It does have the diff. drop done as well.

I would consider just doing the entire rebuild OEM boot route, but I just recently got back rom a 4000 mile trip, and the boot could've torn any time during the trip. So I'm not sure how contaminated the joint is. No noticeable noises though..

Thanks for any opinions in advance!
If it is me, I would go for the new OEMs and rebuild the ones you take off. You can just get the boots from CVJ if you want. That way you have a good reliable set on and are ready to go for the next time, as long as the originals are good. CVJ you will have to send the others back or eat the $175/ea core charge. Just my .02. If you don't need the spares, you can sell them as is for about $150 each or rebuild them and double your money (or more).

The option I'd recommend (and have recommended to many others) is re-booting with the All-Pro high-angle boot kit. If your axle only recently ripped, it's probably fine. If you ripped it months ago and drove through a lot of water/dirt etc, it may have issues. But it's pretty easy to tell when you take the axle apart. If the grease is full of dirt/grit, it may be damaged. If it's just contaminated with a bit of water honestlhy the joint is probably fine. If it is damaged I'd just get a NAPA reman axle (~$100) and put a set of high-angle boots on it.

Rebooting takes a nominal amount more time than swapping the axles and is a very easy DIY job. I've been running the All-Pros for around 2 years now (up 2.5" in the front without a diff drop) and they have been great with no rips/tears.

Just FYI the crimp pliers they supply kind of suck, so I bought a set of much nicer Lislie pliers. You also need a set of horseshoe washer pliers to pull the retainer clip off the outer joint.

I'd agree with Red. And I tried to do the same. Easy, but messy job. Ordered Toyota CV boot kit from Toyota to redo mine. Once I had the CVs off and torn down, I realized the CVs I pulled off were aftermarket. Apparently the PO replaced them with some other kind.

Ended up sending the boots back for a refund and ordering CVJ axles because I wanted Toyota axles back on the truck.

I'd agree with Red. And I tried to do the same. Easy, but messy job. Ordered Toyota CV boot kit from Toyota to redo mine. Once I had the CVs off and torn down, I realized the CVs I pulled off were aftermarket. Apparently the PO replaced them with some other kind.

Ended up sending the boots back for a refund and ordering CVJ axles because I wanted Toyota axles back on the truck.
How did you determine they were aftermarket and not Toyota? Is there something specific to look for that OEM's have?

They usually look quite a bit different. Typically the outside of the inner joint cup is machined differently. You can compare yours to photos of OE axles, if they are at all different it's an aftermarket.

FYI the link below is for a reman OEM CV from NAPA. The photo is not accurate, btw. I've used them before and they are 100% OEM cores. The boots will probably tear after a year in a lifted rig, at which point you can reboot them with an OEM Toyota or aftermarket high-angle boot kit ( which is what my rig is running today).

Last month I contacted CVJ axles and he sent me a picture of an OEM axle and said to make sure that the inner joint looks exactly like the picture. Here’s the picture he sent me:

Inked9808oeminner_LI.jpeg

That little recess is for attaching a slide hammer for pulling out the axles (which is the method I use - along with a big hose clamp to keep the slide hammer end on the axle). Aftermarket axles may have a ring all the way around or something totally different, but it's definitely not the same as the machined recesses above.

cool...thanks
Agree with the previous posts. Assumed they were aftermarket when the new factory boots didn’t fit. But then it was confirmed after I received my CVJ axles and saw the clear difference. The OE axles have those indentions. My aftermarket once were smooth round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom