Cutting Cost's instead of "thoughts on raising dues" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KOWBOY said:
Obviously I ain't leavin' TLCA ... but I got no problem at all ridin' my high horse right the hell off the BOD sir. I didn't volunteer to represent nobody. I volunteered to be the secretary 'cause there weren't nobody else would do it ... that simple. My opinions are harsh and represent only a very few members. I think your opinions are much more suited for the membership as a whole and therefore you are an excellent candidate to immediately replace me as secretary ... to prop'rly represent the masses. Feel free to begin at tomorrow night's BOD meetin'. Thanks for steppin' up. :cool:

hehehe ... good stuff sir. :cheers:

Those that know me ... know there in't no way in hell I could do a SINGLE pushup 'fore the sun came up ... much less all night. I'm so lazy I drive my ridin' mower or truck down the driveway just to check the mail. :grinpimp:

:flamingo:

Thanks for the confidence in replacing you but i decline the nomination if that was what it was. When i have the time to volunteer to a greater extent than i already do i'll let you know.

In the mean time if you feel your duties are such that you can drop them so easily than i'm sure we can find someone to take them over. But make no mistake, you or whoever replaces you do represent me and every other member of the TLCA. I' sorry if no-one explained this idea to you but buy volunteering you and every other member of the BOD, from President down to each chapter delegate, represent there members. I started this post because I (and i'm not alone) question weather or not an increase in dues makes sense. I have currenty come to the conclusion, personally, that it probablly does but not nessarilly to poar into Trails. But here is the reallity, my personal opinion doesn't mean squat except as to be given in Public forum, like this, so our BOD can see what we as a club whole want to see.

Now that the lesson in democracy is over lets talk about how you were roped into the Secratary position "because no one else would do it". I truly regret that we, as an organization, subjected you to such a thing. Let me be the first to formally apologize. I regret to see you step down but completly understand and will emediately begin a campain to find your replacement. Not that you could ever truly be replaced but we'll do our best....

Hey Neil -- Welcome to the BOD ;)

Kowboy's grating style is one of his finer qualities. You're never confused about where you stand. I prefer that over many other styles.

I've wheeled, camped, and drank beer with Kowboy, and I can tell you that he's a good man when needed in the field. And he's helped us when called upon.

Now, I've wheeled and camped with you as well, and even consumed a beverage or two... I think there's even been BBQ involved at some point... And I know you're just giving it back like Kowboy dished it... But ultimately, Kowboy is a voice that's needed to be heard on the BOD, and I really want him to stick around. We need to hear from the "hard core wheeler" group as much as we need to hear from the "I only joined for Trails group". The tough part is taking that info in, processing it, and making the best decision for not only our point of view, but the view of the masses, as well as the best decision for the future of TLCA, whatever that is.

Oh -- and Neil? I don't think you have a 1662 fj40 -- fix your sig ;)

woooody said:
First, let me say Welcome to the club.

Thanks for the input... You have some good ideas, and I don't want to re-hash them all, but your PS was interesting.

Simply stated -- would a quick increase give us the "wiggle room" to do the other things we want to do, that would increase membership?

In other words -- it takes money to make money. A $3 dues raise gets us back up to the point where we would be budgeting breaking even (vs budgeting a loss). If we spent as much time going back and forth on other issues as we did on the dues/trails thing, would TLCA be a better org?

Hey Ross,
Your post bring me back to the point i've,not to successfuly,tried to make before. If the raise in dues is going toward those things that would increase membership than great because that could bring us out of the red. I just question weather a Bronzed Toyota Trails is going to do that. I was happy to read on one of the BOD emails that membership numbers have experienced an uptrend and if that continues all this discussion can be directed at other issues.

woooody said:
Hey Neil -- Welcome to the BOD ;)

Kowboy's grating style is one of his finer qualities. You're never confused about where you stand. I prefer that over many other styles.

I've wheeled, camped, and drank beer with Kowboy, and I can tell you that he's a good man when needed in the field. And he's helped us when called upon.

Now, I've wheeled and camped with you as well, and even consumed a beverage or two... I think there's even been BBQ involved at some point... And I know you're just giving it back like Kowboy dished it... But ultimately, Kowboy is a voice that's needed to be heard on the BOD, and I really want him to stick around. We need to hear from the "hard core wheeler" group as much as we need to hear from the "I only joined for Trails group". The tough part is taking that info in, processing it, and making the best decision for not only our point of view, but the view of the masses, as well as the best decision for the future of TLCA, whatever that is.

Oh -- and Neil? I don't think you have a 1662 fj40 -- fix your sig ;)

Oh Ya!

Sorry for the post in the wrong forum but he called me out!

Last edited:
woody said:
me, I like pictures....honestly, I rarely have time to actually read the trails...usually I skim a few articles of interest and that's all I get thru. If it was text only, I'd discontinue since the photos are what drag me into some of the articles...and personally, it's the tech stuff I enjoy the most. I also know lots of folks aren't into the tech but prefer the interesting stories. The variety of Trails content is what keeps all of the readers coming back.

The original BOD goal was 4000 members, and that has yet to be obtained...despite many ideas and attempts. The reasons for the goal was to address the costs increase associated with Trails, with administration, with inflation. Unfortunately, that leaves two alternatives...raise taxes (er, dues) or cut services.

Personally, I wouldn't vote to have my services cut. Period.

IMO, if more folks stepped up like Jeff Zepp did this weekend at the Cruiser Rally in Denver, working his butt off for a day recruiting and re-signing members, the association would have it's goal met. Gimmiks haven't done it, freebies and drawings haven't either...PERSONAL time and that PERSONAL interest is what brings in people...

TLCA is nothing more than a bunch of people with Land Cruisers....the Cruiser is the excuse to be around the people....remove the Cruiser, and most of the people will still be there, still friends, still hanging out....

just not as greasy ;)
Hey Brian, I appreciate the acknowledgement, but there are a number of us out there "spreading the word", and you have been as evangelical as anyone I've known in TLCA over the years. I happen to agree with everything you wrote, but will add that as of last month, we are less than 200 from our short-term goal of 4000 members, and I have little doubt we will be over the 4k mark when figures are tallied for the end of August.

I made a few calls to May expireds this evening, and got several "promise to renew", plus one fellow who was so glad I called and reminded him that he gave me all his CC info over the phone which I will call in to Jenn tomorrow. THAT makes me happy!

BTW, it was great seeing you at the Rally!

TUFFTORQ said:
If TLCA was at or above 4000 members in the past and at a rate of $27 per member that's 400 members gone for whatever reason and $10,800 in revenue lost, if we actually have 3600 members now.
As of the latest report from Jenn, we are well above 3800. Bear in mind that some are first class at +$15 above whatever they paid, and that it is base rate of $25 of cash/check/money order or $27 for CC. There is a higher premium for memberships outside the USA. We've been working on that issue for years...if anyone has a great idea on how to make shipping Trails to individual members overseas more affordable, please let us know! There are a heck of a lot more Toyota 4x4s outside the USA than inside!

General Sherman said:
Oh Ya!

Sorry for the post in the wrong forum but he called me out!

1662 -- sixteen sixty-two

1962 -- Nineteen sixty-two

I wasn't doubting that it was a '62 -- just WHICH CENTURY.

:)

Just had a lighting bolt about the over seas shipping.... What if we could find a "representative" over seas that we can ship a box to with say, all the European (or all the african members, asia..... you get the idea) members trails, addressed already and then they get mailed from the representative.... instead of sending X amount of trails individually.... May be cheaper, I have no idea though.

streebeck said:
I've been a member of TLCA for a whopping two weeks. I own a FJ Cruiser. I've been an off-roader for a whole three months. If the TLCA wishes to increase membership, they won't be successful unless they specifically target what they might loathe: the new breed of Land Cruiser owners, like me. Like it or not, Toyota is not making any more "old school" FJs with solid front axles and all that. The FJ Cruiser, for good or ill, is the future of the TLCA and that must be acknowledged and pursued: it is the TLCA's most viable market at this point in time.

Hey streebeck, welcome to TLCA! As a matter of fact, we've been targeting new FJC owners specifically as part of our strategy. I have personally recruited at least a dozen FJC owners I have met: made the personal pitch, gave them a complimentary copy of Trails, pointed out the FJC copy and photos in Trails. Increasingly, I get FJC drivers who wave at me as we drive past each other on the road.

streebeck said:
What enticed me to join the TLCA? The ad in the Toyota FJ Cruiser magazine. I went to the website and the organization looked pretty cool. Think about it: Toyota sent 40,000 shiny, new FJ Cruisers to the USA ... 40,000 prospective members, who may even have friends who own Toyota 4x4s. It seems to me, after reading every post in this thread, that people like KOWBOY and, to some extent, DaveWest5150 (only as far as the "lazy little butts..." remark), would rather the TLCA stay isolated, in my opinion.
As of early May, Toyota had sold 4800 FJCs in the USA, according to my insiders at Toyota. I know the official run was supposed to be 24k in the first year, give or take. I've been told that is a manufacturing capacity constraint, and that if numbers warrant an increase, they will start making tham at the KY plant next year. I do see more FJCs on the road than 40s, but as of yet, they aren't as common as Prius or Scion. Still, FJC owners like you represent a huge opportunity to grow TLCA as long as we provide welcome arms and something of interest. Again, welcome aboard!

streebeck said:
In addition, if you Veteran TLCA members really desire to increase membership, remarks such as "If'n you don't feel your currently gettin' your money's worth outta TLCA ... or it wouldn't be worth a few dollars more ... perhaps this ain't a good club for your needs." won't do much to attract new prospects. Remarks like that remind me of my USMC days, when the "old salts" used to say things like "I've got more time sitting on the pot than you have in the Corps" or "I've got more time fast roping out of the back of a CH-46 than you have in the Corps." I guess what I'm trying to say is that remarks like KOWBOY's (who I'm sure has more time in the driver's seat of a Toyota FJ than I had in the Corps) do absolutely nothing to attract new members, and may even dissuade those who may be on the fence.
Don't mind Kowboy. He's a good guy and die-hard cruiser dude. Like me, he's a volunteer in TLCA and we all have opinions. Personally, I joined TLCA to find out where to get parts to keep my old cruiser going. Nearly eleven years later, I discovered all kinds of new friends and had life-changing experiences I never would have had I not joined.

streebeck said:
As a sales and marketing manager for a fairly large dental laboratory in Southern California, I am responsible for creating and implementing yearly marketing plans. I also am responsible for finding new dentist accounts via telephone and in-person cold-calls. Why do I bother mentioning this? Well, because it appears that the TLCA is trying to do the same thing, but replace "dentists" with "off-roader Toyota owners" ... The important thing: the TLCA MUST run the club as a business or membership will eventually dwindle to less than a slow drip.

THAT debate has been going on as long as I can remember. "It's just a car club" versus "It must be run like a business". They are not mutually exclusive, but both must be given consideration. A traditional "club" doesn't give a rat's patootie whether they make money or recruit/retain members, as long as there's cold beer in the fridge. A business must make money to stay solvent, and give shareholders return on their investment. I view TLCA as somewhere in between.

streebeck said:
The TLCA is "selling" something: an off-road image, member-only events, etc., etc. Much like churches recruit for new parishoners, the TLCA must actively recruit through their own "churches": off-road shops and Toyota dealerships sympathetic to the TLCA's cause. Hell, could you imagine how many memberships could be sold at the time of a vehicle's purchase?

We've worked that angle. Toyota corporate is supportive to a certain extent. But not to the extent that they will put a copy of Trails in every FJC glovebox. Instead, we've been working individual dealers, and many are supportive. I hand delivered a dozen copies of Trails to the sales manager of a local dealership a couple months ago with the instruction to give one to every new FJC buyer. Another local dealer is giving complimentary TLCA memberships to every FJC buyer after I spoke with them on the phone. I don't know how widespread this kind of effort is. Some chapters and members are more active (and evangelical) than others.

streebeck said:
To use the church analogy again, most people have a sincere desire to BELONG to something, which is why religion (specifically, in certain instances, church affiliation) is such a booming industry. If you disagree, please pay a visit to Corona, CA and I'll give you a tour.
I walk the walk ;)

streebeck said:
Before someone throws out a "put up or shut up," I will say that my volunteer marketing services (specifically, the creation of both a one-year and five-year marketing plan) are available for a small "contribution" of a case of Heineken. Said contribution would not be expected until some sort of measurable success is achieved. Interested parties may reach me via email using my forum log-on @yahoo.com.
The TLCA Marketing/Sales Vice President position will be open in the upcoming elections. If you'd like to discuss it, I can be reached from my personal contact info inside Toyota Trails.

streebeck said:
Beyond all that, I would like to say that I am happy to be a member of this association and I look forward to participating in one of the sponsored events in the near future.
Again, welcome aboard! Happy cruisin'!

streebeck said:
P.S.: If the TLCA's members are as die-hard as they appear to be, judging from the posts on this forum, a membership dues increase should be implemented immediately. Like KOWBOY said, this isn't the army. If the TLCA's executive and administrative branches are using the dues wisely, they would no doubt immediately benefit from a significant increase of, say, 20-30%. That would help fill the coffers quickly and give the board a bit of wiggle room while they decide how to move forward.
To respond to your PS, we were projected to be almost $9k deficit YTD as of July, current numbers show about $3k out of a roughly $200k annual budget. Not panic time by any stretch. I will be happy to share actuals with any current member.

2ndGenToyotaFan said:
Just had a lighting bolt about the over seas shipping.... What if we could find a "representative" over seas that we can ship a box to with say, all the European (or all the african members, asia..... you get the idea) members trails, addressed already and then they get mailed from the representative.... instead of sending X amount of trails individually.... May be cheaper, I have no idea though.
That's a great idea! I *think* we have already done that for a group in France (Roger, you or anyone wanna jog my memory on that?), but if we made that more obvious on our web site and in Trails that would be a great way to cut overseas shipping costs.

As I recall, these guys weren't so much interested in being a voting chapter, but just wanted Toyota Trails.

Food for thought: When we toured the printer that prints Toyota Trails earlier this summer, we were told that the UV resist adds about $0.02 per issue, and that we pay nearly the same to print our 5k issues as 10k. Printing is all about volume. Shipping each issue off to members is the main incremental expense.

Another tidbit for thought: Remember that Toyota Trails is our official "newsletter". While it has become nearly National Geographic in quality, it is the official way that official club information is disseminated to TLCA members.

woooody said:
1662 -- sixteen sixty-two

1962 -- Nineteen sixty-two

I wasn't doubting that it was a '62 -- just WHICH CENTURY.

:)

DOH! You got me

Fixed!

But here is the reallity, my personal opinion doesn't mean squat except as to be given in Public forum, like this, so our BOD can see what we as a club whole want to see.

actually, i thought you might like to know it does count. if it didn't , this discussion wouldn't be happening. i posted on here to try to give some of my insight as to why a dues raise could be beneficial. it's what you asked for, and i tried to give it.
not personal feelings, but overall wellness and health of the organization being my primary focus. i wanted to do this because you asked for that discussion. if you, or your opinions didn't matter, this thread would be dead by now.
the fact that we are still talking, means you, and your opinion, both matter. as i said, the bod cannot make decisions to serve one, but to serve the club, and it's members, as best as is overall possible.
by reading these threads, i think a pretty good idea is garnered. well thought out discussions, and well thought out responses have been the order of the day.
other than a little bickering, and some name calling on that front, this has been a very constructive discussion. i've enjoyed being a part of it, and i think we've made some progress.
thanks to all that have contributed to the discussion so far, and thanks to those who have yet to make their voices heard.
please let your opinions out. that's the only way we can count them, and they do count. this ain't no electoral college thing we got going here!!!:cheers:

wardfoto said:
by reading these threads, i think a pretty good idea is garnered. well thought out discussions, and well thought out responses have been the order of the day.
other than a little bickering, and some name calling on that front, this has been a very constructive discussion. i've enjoyed being a part of it, and i think we've made some progress.
thanks to all that have contributed to the discussion so far, and thanks to those who have yet to make their voices heard.
please let your opinions out. that's the only way we can count them, and they do count. this ain't no electoral college thing we got going here!!!:cheers:

Does this mean we can't expect an increase? Just kidding geeesh! I have to admit it's been an eye opener for a few of us. Now about those events...enough of this beaten down path!

:beer:

I think Neil's title is appropriate. "Cutting Costs instead of "thoughts on raising dues".

Neil has his own business and is looking at TLCA as a business, which it is. Just a not for Profit business. In our own business's we look at our cost down to the penny, especially in lean times, and try to figure out where we can cut cost, before raising prices at the fear of loosing customers or jobs. From my minimal review of TLCA it runs very lean. The paid admin is the glue that keeps a business or club of this size together. The volunteers can't be thanked enough for taking time out of their own lives to give to others to make the club happen. Looking at the cost of trails is valid as it is a major expense. If cost can be cut with out cutting the quality then it should be done. My guess is it has been researched out before. IF TLCA's Insurance cost has gone up anywhere similar to my business's I would guess that has eaten up more of the money than any other item. Just my own thought.

Raising dues by $5.00 probably won't chase many away as long as they feel TLCA is serving them well. Serving the members well includes, amongst other things, a high quality Trails mag, which it is (thank Todd), working to keep trails open (donations to Blue Ribbon and other groups) and bringing people together with a common interest, Toyota 4x4's. I believe TLCA is achieving these items well.

I think the membership should be increased by $5. and we should look at creating more income to TLCA through Merchandise, at TLCA events and increasing membership. Based on the other threads this is aleady in process. Try and off set the Blue Ribbon donations through TLCA member direct donations so it does not come direct out of the revenue coffers.

Just Rambling.
Dave Thomas
Walnut Creek, CA

KOWBOY said:
My position on attractin' new members is well documented sir ... which is why it's a damn good thang Chef's drivin' this bus and not me. :grinpimp:

But with that said ...

Welcome aboard sir ... and By Gawd, I hope to see ya at your first event. :cool:

:flamingo:

Thanks for the welcome, KOWBOY.

Rzeppa:

Thank you for the thorough and well said reply. I'm going to attempt to keep my responses brief so as to avoid turning this into a short story...

Rzeppa said:
Hey streebeck, welcome to TLCA! As a matter of fact, we've been targeting new FJC owners specifically as part of our strategy. I have personally recruited at least a dozen FJC owners I have met: made the personal pitch, gave them a complimentary copy of Trails, pointed out the FJC copy and photos in Trails. Increasingly, I get FJC drivers who wave at me as we drive past each other on the road.

--That's awesome. On the other side of that, I've had at least four Land Cruiser owners give me the wave as well (and I was very grateful that it wasn't of the "one finger" variety...). I keep hearing about Toyota Trails and I am looking very forward to receiving it in the mail.

Rzeppa said:
As of early May, Toyota had sold 4800 FJCs in the USA, according to my insiders at Toyota. I know the official run was supposed to be 24k in the first year, give or take. I've been told that is a manufacturing capacity constraint, and that if numbers warrant an increase, they will start making tham at the KY plant next year. I do see more FJCs on the road than 40s, but as of yet, they aren't as common as Prius or Scion. Still, FJC owners like you represent a huge opportunity to grow TLCA as long as we provide welcome arms and something of interest. Again, welcome aboard!

--Let's hope they're never as common as Pruis of Scion. One of the neat things about being one of the first people in my neck of the woods to own one was the sense of individuality the FJC presents. Having said that, however, I'm seeing more and more every week. Because the vehicle is so odd looking, I think it will alienate the people who want to be like everyone else. I also think cost is a big factor as well. Here in So. Cal., the FJC is still selling for MSRP, which is at least a lot better than the $5000-8000 over MSRP people were paying in this area initially. Also, I think people expect more creature comforts from a $30,000 vehicle than the FJC has.

Rzeppa said:
Don't mind Kowboy. He's a good guy and die-hard cruiser dude. Like me, he's a volunteer in TLCA and we all have opinions. Personally, I joined TLCA to find out where to get parts to keep my old cruiser going. Nearly eleven years later, I discovered all kinds of new friends and had life-changing experiences I never would have had I not joined.

--Oh, I don't mind... KOWBOY appears OK to me.

Rzeppa said:
THAT debate has been going on as long as I can remember. "It's just a car club" versus "It must be run like a business". They are not mutually exclusive, but both must be given consideration. A traditional "club" doesn't give a rat's patootie whether they make money or recruit/retain members, as long as there's cold beer in the fridge. A business must make money to stay solvent, and give shareholders return on their investment. I view TLCA as somewhere in between.

--Well, a car club, to me, would be somewhere around 100 people or less. That is manageable, as far as not having to pay someone to administrate, not to worry about a full-color magazine, etc. But with 3,800 people, well, that's a totally different game...it looks like a corporation to me. And with running the TLCA more like a business, in my opinion, the TLCA would be in a better position to offer more to its members and prospects.

Rzeppa said:
We've worked that angle. Toyota corporate is supportive to a certain extent. But not to the extent that they will put a copy of Trails in every FJC glovebox. Instead, we've been working individual dealers, and many are supportive. I hand delivered a dozen copies of Trails to the sales manager of a local dealership a couple months ago with the instruction to give one to every new FJC buyer. Another local dealer is giving complimentary TLCA memberships to every FJC buyer after I spoke with them on the phone. I don't know how widespread this kind of effort is. Some chapters and members are more active (and evangelical) than others.

--I can understand that Toyota's support would be limited, as they have their own agenda. From the other posts I kind of think that the overall organization is loosely knit. Specifically, you have independent chapters within a main organization, with the independent chapters flying their own banner along with the TLCA banner. Which is fine, but that's where a plan with goals comes in. No organization ever has 100% agreement with everything proposed, but if a majority is reached...well, democracy is a great thing. I am assuming that there is at least a division between members on how to take the organization forward. I think as long as a majority can agree on the need to move forward, then analyze the different ways to proceed forward, plus attending to the financial matter at hand, then the organization as a whole can ultimately benefit. I know it sounds simplistic, but with my limited background in this organization it appears to me that the TLCA must capitalize on (and support) the loyalty of its die-hards. Not to imply that nothing has been done, because obviously that is not the case. I only think, from my limited TLCA experience, that the future of the organization depends on (and would ultimately benefit from) a more aggressive outreach, thus increasing visibility, thus increasing membership, thus increasing $$$ to work with, thus keeping current and future members happy.

Rzeppa said:
The TLCA Marketing/Sales Vice President position will be open in the upcoming elections. If you'd like to discuss it, I can be reached from my personal contact info inside Toyota Trails.

--I'll definitely be in touch.

Rzeppa said:
Again, welcome aboard! Happy cruisin'!

To respond to your PS, we were projected to be almost $9k deficit YTD as of July, current numbers show about $3k out of a roughly $200k annual budget. Not panic time by any stretch. I will be happy to share actuals with any current member.

--My company has just gone through cuts in personnel. Main reason being that our industry has experienced lower than average sales this year. One factor was the increase in gas prices...people seem to be less apt to seek cosmetic dentistry when it costs $50-100 to fill a gas tank. The other factor was an across-the-board increase in our fee schedule, similar to what is being proposed on this thread. The major difference is that while the TLCA is formed by people who have a deep-rooted interest in Land Cruisers and the off-road lifestyle, my customers are price-conscious and will go to a competitor at the drop of a hat if some sort of discount is offered. As there doesn't really appear to be much competiton with the TLCA, the end result of the comparison should be the opposite with the TLCA should they elect to increase fees. Question: when exactly was the last dues increase and how much of an increase was it? It seems to me that if dues are increased, there should be a plan of action involved as to what that extra income would be used for. Has that ever been done before? And...I sincerely hope that I'm not beating a dead horse with all these questions.

Thanks again for the welcome. I have to get back to work or my boss with throw scalding hot coffee on me...

Best regards,

"streebeck"

Well..... Perhaps TLCA has something in common with the Sierra Club after all. ;)

Other outdoor clubs are having the same problems and struggles with stagnant/declining membership. I belong to another club (not the Sierra Club) that has been having this problem since about 1997. I'm curious if the trends for the TLCA are similar... ?

I don't think that the rise of the internet around this time is a coincidence. It's become a lot easier to connect with others and to do things without being in a club. For example... I'm on the Norcal80's email list. It’s a very active group. Many are TLCA members, but probably many are not. Everyone seems to connect, organize trips, exchange info and buy/sell stuff just fine without club meetings or a newsletter. I think the next generation will be even more independent, and the internet will really be all they know. But this is perhaps only restating the obvious.

Previous comments mentioned looking at the TLCA in a broader perspective. That will probably be what's needed to evolve and survive. Otherwise the danger is the TCLA becomes road-kill from the information super-highway or some other future thing that's out of it's control. The AAA car club seems to be doing well. In fact I joined them a few years ago for the first time (rather than the other way around). Someone mentioned a car club, so that might be an example to look at – what do they provide that makes it worthwhile?

The other outdoor/recreation club I’m a member of had around 10,000 members at one time (maybe the peak). Membership dropped off a lot and dues no longer cover expenses. What keeps them in the black now is a book publishing arm. It started from a self-published mountaineering how-to book written 40 years ago and later included guide books and so on. They make a ton of money from book publishing now – literally millions.

So, that’s another idea. I imagine there is a wealth of knowledge and experience that could be written down by TLCA members when sitting around a campfire, and later sold in some form or another. Trail maps, camp sites, how to wheel, how to weld, when to lock diffs or not, and so on. I know it goes against the grain of fellow cruiserheads willing to help each other out for only a cold beer and some funny stories.

It’s ironic that a wealth of information is being given away for free (ih8mud and pirate), while the club is struggling to make ends meet. I hate to say it, but if we really began looking at it like a business as some suggested, then this info wouldn’t be free. Ya’ll can flame me for saying it (I’m being a bit rhetorical anyway). Look at pirate4x4 – they now are charging us to search back through our own tech! I really have appreciated the advice and help from others I’ve got on these sites – so far much more than I’ve personally contributed. Partly because of that I believe a lot of new FJC owners would not think twice about spending $50 or more for a book on how to wheel his/her new cruiser, where to go, how much to air down, how to set up a camp, or how to poop in the woods without getting bitten by mosquitoes.

BTW, I’ve been a TLCA member since 2004. I like the color Trails. Don’t mind paying an extra $5. I like that the TLCA & Trails is good quality. I also think it’s a good mix of old & new school and hard core vs. stock/restoration. I also like the club contributing and advocating for trail access.

Cheers, Scott

Scott, I appreciate what you wrote, the time it must have taken to compose and write it, and especially the perspectives and examples you gave. Very well written, and excellent food for thought! Much of the information you presented is either both new in this discussion, or at least new information to me, and your analysis of that information and how it relates to TLCA's current circumstances are very helpful.

I had an excellent phone conversation with Jason "Streebek" this morning. Brand new members like him, and relatively new members like you will be the future of TLCA. We really need these fresh perspectives, and I'm glad you wrote. BTW, feel free to call me or write direct any time. All my personal contact info is in Toyota Trails. For that matter, feel free to contact any of us (elected officers) with any direct suggestions or thoughts; we're just volunteers trying to do our best. But we can't think of everything ourselves, and well thought out points such as you raise in your post are helpful and welcome.

Thanks and happy cruisin'!

TLCA's membership is like a revolving door. Some people get stuck in it and never want to leave while others filter in and out. I believe membership numbers are in the 16,000s now. I joined in 1997 and I'm 7328. I think there are about 500 more members than when I joined back then. But we've somehow managed to go through 9000 members during that 9 years. That is 1000 members a year. All of this is rough math. My fear is eventually we will run out of people to fill the revolving door and more people will be exiting than entering.

My big question has always been why? That is part of the reason I agreed to take on the part time gig as MSVP (8 month term). Events: we have more events than ever and the diversity of events is greater than ever. TT: I think the TTs we have in 2006 are some of the best. Advertisors: We have some great vendors advertising in TT and even better is of them pay their ad bill. This was not always the case. Website: Best it has ever been. And to be honest I think TLCA missed an opportunity to have the biggest and best LC website years ago. TLCA invested a little too late. But as they say hindsight is 20/20. So where is the problem?

Kowboy's opinions are darn right honest. He feels them from the heart. And when I took this position I asked myself what could I do to attract more members. More recently I'm finding myself believing a lot more like him. If people want to be part of TLCA let them, if not let them go. If they don't have the same beliefs as the association let them go.

Mr. Zepp has my utmost respect. I can almost guarantee he's talked more hours on the phone to people who somehow forgot to renew than probably the rest of us combined. He's done an excellent job and our numbers increase/reclaimation are in a large part due to his efforts.

But I have this bad feeling in my stomach lately, if TLCA isn't important enough for them to renew on their own do they really belong? I've had a lot of life changes during my TLCA membership: a new kid, building a house, starting a chapter, moving, job changes, changes in income, and other family changes and I've never forgot to renew. I mean it isn't that hard to send in a check to renew. Even if you had to get a MO to renew it only takes a few minutes at the PO. I did the paypal thing the last few times and even that was fairly painless.

And without these members who are sort of fence sitters would TLCA still be the same organization? Obviously TT wouldn't be the same, maybe not as many events either? But I think the core of the organization would remain. People who are dedicated to their Cruisers and enjoy spending time with others who have the same dedication to their Cruisers. We'd lose some glitz and glame, but wouldn't we be the same association?

Anyway, some more food for thought!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom