Custom Wheel Specs: Rotiform Six (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mud:

If you had the ability to design a wheel and choose the specs perfectly for a 1998 (100 Series) w/ 4.88 gears, 2" lift .. Land Cruiser, what would the specs be?

The use is highway to the trail and trail running across the Rocky Mountains.

Is the perfect wheel a 16", 17", 18"?
Is the perfect width 8", 8.5", 9"?
What about offset? Slee seems to like +25mm?
And what tire could we fit under there, 285/75/r__?

I know, loaded question - but I am a wheel guy. Have always run Volk Racing wheels on my rigs and cars - but it would be really sweet to take the plunge on a custom setup to create the perfect spec'd wheel for the 100 series platform. If the setup isn't custom, I will probably place an order for 18x9.5 +20 Volk TE37xt M-Spec in Blast Black.

JR

Hey mud:

If you had the ability to design a wheel and choose the specs perfectly for a 1998 (100 Series) w/ 4.88 gears, 2" lift .. Land Cruiser, what would the specs be?

I know, loaded question - but I am a wheel guy. Have always run Volk Racing wheels on my rigs and cars - but it would be really sweet to take the plunge on a custom setup to create the perfect spec'd wheel for the 100 series platform. If the setup isn't custom, I will probably place an order for 18x9.5 +20 Volk TE37xt M-Spec in Blast Black.

JR

For me?

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd like to find a forged, 17"x 8", +50 to +60 offset, that fits over the front hub, and maybe even has a working hubcap (without spacers) on the front, to use with a load range C "jeep tire" in LT285/70R17 (32.83") [or maybe LT285/75R17 (33.83")].

But with you flinging the 4.88 gears out there, you're probably looking for a bigger tire than I am.

For me?

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd like to find a forged, 17"x 8", +50 to +60 offset, that fits over the front hub, and maybe even has a working hubcap (without spacers) on the front, to use with a load range C "jeep tire" in LT285/70R17 (32.83") [or maybe LT285/75R17 (33.83")].

But with you flinging the 4.88 gears out there, you're probably looking for a bigger tire than I am.

Pretty sure the bore can be customized, so should be able to build it to 110+ to cover the front hub. Agree on the hubcaps, that is something I didn't consider when starting this conversation with Rotiform.

However, at the width of that tire, wouldn't you run into suspension clearance issues with that offset?

Last edited:
A thread that you might find helpful (and a post by @suprarx7nut of his Braid wheels, that are close to what I'd like)

A thread that you might find helpful (and a post by @suprarx7nut of his Braid wheels, that are close to what I'd like)

Yes - it is a very resourceful thread. Some fabulous info in there.

Hey mud:

JR
17 or 16" wheel. More street? 17. More trail? 16.

Width: 8.5 or 8. Thinner wheels means you've got a little extra "cush" before you scrape the wheel. If you're eyeing 315/305 tires I'd go 8.5. Otherwise, I'd go 8.

Offset: 40. 25 puts you juuust beyond the fenders with a ~285 or 295 tire and that results in slinging mud, rocks and dirt all over the body of the car. Some people like the looks, but that's not for me. 40 is more aggressive than stock 100 specs, but still "within" the body lines. 25 is fine, but I like 40. I don't think 25 is chosen as an "ideal" setup for the 100 series, rather it's just a common size that manufacturers happen to make those wheels in. Lots of 100 compatible wheels are made with the Tundra in mind. The Tundra crowd likes the more aggressive offsets which I think drives the plethora of 0 and 25 offset options.

Tire: 295/70/17 fits nicely with some very minor fender liner re-shaping. No metal bending/cutting needed. Note that more poke and/or a larger tire will likely need metal bashing in addition to liner shaping to avoid rub.

Mine on the right:

1647496114433.png

I would choose the tire first. 17" tires because of a much better selection of sizes and load ratings.

Nitto Trail Grappler
35x11.5R17LT C-Load

Wheels specs: 17" x 8.5" +25mm offset

295/70/17 would be too small for my truck with 4.88's. My truck is 1 mph off with 295/70/18's with Cooper STT Pro's, which are a little taller than most tires that diameter.

Also, my +18 offsets don't rub, although +25 is probably better.

295/70/17 would be too small for my truck with 4.88's. My truck is 1 mph off with 295/70/18's with Cooper STT Pro's, which are a little taller than most tires that diameter.

Also, my +18 offsets don't rub, although +25 is probably better.
That's a good point on the gearing.

I would choose the tire first. 17" tires because of a much better selection of sizes and load ratings.

Nitto Trail Grappler
35x11.5R17LT C-Load

Wheels specs: 17" x 8.5" +25mm offset
Would a 34x10.5R17 Load D BFG KO2 fit on a stock height LX/100 with 17x8 30mm offset wheels? I'm assuming it'll be about 1/4" taller than a 285/75/17 tire and about 1/4" skinnier (tread width). I'm also looking at a 285/75/17 Load C Toyo Open Country AT3. Recently regeared and planning my next tire purchase to replace my 285/70/17 Load C BFG KO2's (Fit perfect with no mods needed) when they run out.

For me?

I 100% agree with this. My RW's with 1/4" spacers up front make for a +44 offset, they are forged and have the rings removed so they're only 21-22lbs each. About as close as one can get. With my C load Jeep tires they only weigh about 3-4lbs more per corner. The next step will be either 285/75's or 35x11.5's, in C load of course, and I'll still be lighter than the average 275/70 E's on stock 18's.

Would a 34x10.5R17 Load D BFG KO2 fit on a stock height LX/100 with 17x8 30mm offset wheels? I'm assuming it'll be about 1/4" taller than a 285/75/17 tire and about 1/4" skinnier (tread width). I'm also looking at a 285/75/17 Load C Toyo Open Country AT3. Recently regeared and planning my next tire purchase to replace my 285/70/17 Load C BFG KO2's (Fit perfect with no mods needed) when they run out.

Just go by manufacturers specs. In this case, the Toyo 285/75R17 is wider and taller and more tread depth than the BFG 34x10.5R17. I don't think either will fit stock height unless you do the necessary trimming.... just as you would do with a 35" tire. Trim to fit.

BFG

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 5.21.47 PM.png

TOYO

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 5.21.55 PM.png

The perfect wheel for me would weigh 18 lbs and easily support 34" tires. Goal is to keep unspring weight at each wheel under 65 lbs. I remember checking stock LX470 tire and wheel combo weighed ~62 lbs.

Last edited:
The perfect wheel for me would weigh 18 lbs and easily support 34" tires. Goal is to keep unspring weight at each wheel under 65 lbs. I remember checking stock LX470 tire and wheel combo weighed ~60 lbs.
I feel the same, I was a JDM forged wheel whore when I was younger but i'm not willing to spend that coin now that i'm older. I'm currently at 70lbs with my 17x8 wheels (19lbs) and 33" load C KO2's (51lbs). The 34" load D KO2's would get me to 75lbs. To put it in perspective, a 32" load E KO2 is the same weight as a 34" load D KO2.

Yes - this is the kind of conversation I was hoping to spark. With a loaded hundy, unsprung weight can have an impact on performance.

It is very difficult to keep weight down when going into large diameter tires, I have been spending an insane amount of time trying to develop the best combo to keep weight down.

I feel the same, I was a JDM forged wheel whore when I was younger but i'm not willing to spend that coin now that i'm older. I'm currently at 70lbs with my 17x8 wheels (19lbs) and 33" load C KO2's (51lbs). The 34" load D KO2's would get me to 75lbs. To put it in perspective, a 32" load E KO2 is the same weight as a 34" load D KO2.
The funny part is that I've been driving on highways for over 50 years. In my younger days, I had no idea about the impact of unspring wheel weight.

So I managed to ruin some otherwise good handling vehicles by changing to heavier wheel and tire combos that resulted in a performance car driving more like a dump truck. As I've grown older, I've been reflecting back on some of the bad decisions in my youth. LOL

Yes - this is the kind of conversation I was hoping to spark. With a loaded hundy, unsprung weight can have an impact on performance.

It is very difficult to keep weight down when going into large diameter tires, I have been spending an insane amount of time trying to develop the best combo to keep weight down.

👍 Cool!

The perfect wheel for me would weigh 18 lbs and easily support 34" tires. Goal is to keep unspring weight at each wheel under 65 lbs. I remember checking stock LX470 tire and wheel combo weighed ~60 lbs.

The stock LC 18's weigh about 27.5lbs each according to this thread. Stock Dunlop tires are 41lbs so you're looking at nearly 70lbs for the factory 18" setup. Using the same links 16's are around 62lbs per corner stock, problem is that most A/T's for 16's are E load so there goes your weight savings. Factory offset isn't ideal for most people so you could add spacer weight to those numbers as well.

Which wheels are you on? What's the offset?

Which wheels are you on? What's the offset?
FN Wheels Five Star, +30 offset, I recently talked to FN Wheels about touching up a scratch my tire guy did and they said our 100 series spec Five Star was discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom