Custom Turbo Manifold Q's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arnott1t

SILVER Star
Threads
I want to know what the ideal posisiton for a turbo mount is inregards to being for and aft on the block. I'm thinking it would be nice to keep it as far back as possible but still leave enough room for your exhaust. I'm thinking either center the outlet or put it lined up with cylinder 2 (assuming there numbered 1-4 from front to back). I built one today that is centerd on cyl. 3 but I doun't think it will leave enough room for exhaust. So tommorow im thinking either centerd or centered on #2.

What are you thoughts?
The AXT one is centered on #2
Toyota is centered between 2 and 3

I'll be using a CT26 water cooled unit.

I have the 13b-t model, ya its right in the center. Things are tight there. whats this on?

if you go too far forward it will be a bitch to get the intake air on it.

I say plant it in the middle. My exhaust is close but manageable. And I can just fit the fresh air hose on.

the one I built is pretty much centered on #2 , maybe just a little aft of center , this way it leaves plenty of room for the ex. pipe . but you have to use a close turn radius for the inlet side of the turbo which is less of an issue than having a close turn radius for the ex.

Daryl

K

Thanks for the replies. I think i'll center mine on two or just aft. It going on a 81 BJ42. I just got off the phone with Rob @ Raddcruisers and I think he talked me out of the CT26 :frown: . He said he tried and and didn't see any gains till 1800 rpm. Now im not sure what to go with. I went and looked at guys SXT kit last night. Looked nice and clean. I want to make my own kit though with out spending to much $$$. I found a CT26 for 200$ and a lebaron turbo for the same. Not sure if what to go with. Wouldn;t mind trying the cummins unit either. Diesel Dude seems to like that and he's tried quite a few of them.

Any adivice.

Post u pwhat you have and how you like. And how it compares to other kits.

Thanks,
Tyler

I'm using a bit of a hodgepodge turbo. was a Volvo Garrett T3, but the hot side flange was awkward to mate , so I got a standard t3 hotside from a mustang svo. came with the usual " laser cut " flange , and I used this to make the adapter plate.

flipped the manifold over, , and it's been on there for a year and a half. didn't try any other turbo's, but I went from thinking about gearing down from 4th on some hills to going up them in 5th.

biggest problem I had was with the volvo centre section, seems volvo has their OWN species of hydraulic fitting, tried fairly hard to find a fitting to fit the oil feed port,but ended up just retapping the port for NPT threads.

may try a different turbo setup when I get to the engine portion of the mongrel bastard thing I'm building but we'll see.
cheers
ryan

Last edited:
What Volvo

What kind of car did you pull the Volvo Turbo from. I have no idea about volvo cars so I wouldn't even know what to ask for if i called a wrecker.

Also what year celica did your CT26 come from.

Thanks,
Tyler

i have used the factory CT26 for one swap i did and a garret custom for another and another CT26 (origins unknown) with great success each time. if you are going to all the trouble then contact your local speed/turbo shop and get them to build you the proper turbo for the application. it really does make a world of difference.
there are many different CT26 produced, did you tell Rob which vehicle you were getting it from?
one thing i found is a CT26 is much more expensive to rebuild compared to a garret, i got my brand new custome garet built for $400 less than the CT26 i got rebuilt.
cheers and good luck

I think the turbo was out of a volvo 240. basic garret t3, with the 60 hotside and I think 43 cold?

oil cooled only, and yeah, the flange on the hotside, was a bit different than a standard t3, and was a bit of a pain in the ass.

considering how many other t3s are out there, there's probably a better choice :)

I stopped reading up on what everyone was doing once I got my turbo in, but in the next incarnation of my truck, I may try something a bit different, so by all means, do lots of testing, and let me know whats best :grinpimp:

cheers,
ryan

Pics of manifold

Thought I'd post up some pics of my manifold. Now just the easy part of deciding what turbo to go with.

turbo1004.jpg

turbo1003.jpg

turbo1002.jpg

hey congrates, that looks very nice!

just go with a garrett they are plentiful in every different config known to man, the ct26 is too difficult to get rebuilt for cheap. to buy outright you have to spend about 1600. cad

so thats my feeling, look up new garretts, generally under a 1k and you can get built to match your maps and calculations. a decent turbo shop can do that. just get a unit with an internal wastegate or add a wastegate onto your new manifold.

but internal seems cheaper.....................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom