Custom HeadLights.. Yay or Nay?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just ordered a pair of these hearlights off ebay! :D

...Tech Part:

I want to disable the OEM turn signal lights and not use them. In order to do this can I use the parking lights on these lights as turn signals and splice them into the turn signal wires?

On a side note: I live in Orygun... is it legal to not have parking lights? If it is not legal, could I use the three LEDs as turn signals instead? (like NVR ENUF did w/ the yellow LEDS)

3rd alternative... That I would consider is some how wiring the parking lights and turn signals both to the corner parking lights so they would stay on when the lights are on, but when i hit the turn signal they would flash of, instead of flashing on... again, how legal this is... Idk.

All of them above too easy to do it.. I can do all of them with one of my eye close :D except the number # 2 question, The Oregon side :flipoff2:

Now my question is....How bright you want it? Not too bright then get the 168, 194 socket or you want really bright like my LX get the 1157 dual socket and run LED bulb with load resistor in it.

1) Should I upgrade the bulbs and if so with what? I'm not that picky but if I can spend an extra $50 and get much better performance I'm all for it.

2) How hard is the upgrade can I just pull the bulbs out the back of the housing and put the new ones in?

3) How hard is the upgrade in general. do the lights come out the back or do I have to remove my brush guard?

4) How hard is installing the after market wiring harness?

Thanks all!
ProjectorbulbI.jpg

1) Don't waste your money on upgrading the bulb. These come with good German bulbs already and I did try some Bosch bulbs as well and it wasn't any brighter, just whiter. If you want to upgrade anything, upgrade the projector itself. See how you like the lights first compared to the stock OEM lamps and then go from there.

2)Not a problem switching bulbs out but no need too.

3)It's really an easy upgrade. The lamps are removed from the front. If you have a brush guard, just unscrew the small horizontal bars in front of the lamps.

4) Comes with H1 harness. You can find adaptors here I believe, http://www.suvlights.com/
I myself, just stripped the wires and connected them but if you want the clean look, buy the adaptors.

One thing to keep in mind, I've bought 2 sets of these lamps and both needed adjusting/alignment. It's hard to reach the adjusting screws when installed, so I would do so as I'm installing them by checking the beam up against the garage door.

I'm thinking about upgrading to 50mm HID's or to 90mm halogens. Depends how clean the hole saw leaves the bevel cut. Well start new thread if I do.

NVR ENUF said:
I'm thinking about upgrading to 50mm HID's or to 90mm halogens.

Don't kid yourself in thinking that you would be happy with halogens.:D (For lows anyway).

Do it right the first time and be done (and happy) with it.;)

All of them above too easy to do it.. I can do all of them with one of my eye close :D except the number # 2 question, The Oregon side :flipoff2:

Now my question is....How bright you want it? Not too bright then get the 168, 194 socket or you want really bright like my LX get the 1157 dual socket and run LED bulb with load resistor in it.

I was thinkin I could just splice the wire to the LEDs into the turn signal wire, so I could diable the turn signals. But if its not legal to use leds as turn signals I may have to kinda do something like the turn signal mod slee has on his site.

ProjectorbulbI.jpg

1) Don't waste your money on upgrading the bulb. These come with good German bulbs already and I did try some Bosch bulbs as well and it wasn't any brighter, just whiter. If you want to upgrade anything, upgrade the projector itself. See how you like the lights first compared to the stock OEM lamps and then go from there.

2)Not a problem switching bulbs out but no need too.

3)It's really an easy upgrade. The lamps are removed from the front. If you have a brush guard, just unscrew the small horizontal bars in front of the lamps.

4) Comes with H1 harness. You can find adaptors here I believe, http://www.suvlights.com/
I myself, just stripped the wires and connected them but if you want the clean look, buy the adaptors.

One thing to keep in mind, I've bought 2 sets of these lamps and both needed adjusting/alignment. It's hard to reach the adjusting screws when installed, so I would do so as I'm installing them by checking the beam up against the garage door.

I'm thinking about upgrading to 50mm HID's or to 90mm halogens. Depends how clean the hole saw leaves the bevel cut. Well start new thread if I do.

Thanks much this really helped!

Yeah i really like the look of these too, wouldn't want to put 'em in though, too fancy. My friend got them off ebay for his Honda Accord they look sweet but not for a LC, IMO

Mine should be coming in this week! I plan on doing a Retrofit. I did one on my 87 4runner. I used a pair of AUDI projectors....real cool how people do a double take when they see an old beat up Toyota:hillbilly: sporting some real HID projectors.:grinpimp: YEAH!!!:bounce: Oh and its about :banana::banana: on the banana scale.

Mine just came in today!! :D

I'll be sure and post pics and ask questions throughout my installation tommorow... cause i kno yall like pics...

I am starting the install and have a few questions:

1) I am going to just cut off the ends of the wires and splice them into the existing harness, can you splice the halos and the low beams into the same wire?

2) where is the light bulb for the parking lights?

Don't connect the halos to the low beams, they go with the parking lights. Do you mean parking light bulbs?

So I got out the dremmel to get the :princess: grille to fit with these lamps and this is how it came out.
DremmelledGrille.jpg

I was hoping I wouldn't have to cut thru the grille but it was necessary in order for it to fit all the way in. It's the cutout area in the top right corner. I painted the grille to match the rig just for kicks since I'll be getting a LC grille soon.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/ZevinLauren/WhiteGrille.jpg?t=1176219800
WhiteGrille.jpg

BTW, this morning's paper showing local law enforcement out looking for vehicles w/o front license plates and citing them. I gotta beware!!! :)

I would cut out the low beam bezel ring and use the 90mm. The should drop right in then.

If someone marketed a decent headlamp using the Hella's that cary is suggesting above, I might actually get a set. They would look awesome. I saved these images from quite a while back, but I believe MOT or LX_TREME posted them in one of the many headlight/lighting discussions. I believe I remember it mentioned that they were one-off customs and very expensive to make. They look to be the Hella 90mm lamps. I would skip lunch to save up money for these... :cool:

80 projector1bMUD.jpg

80 projector2bMUD.jpg
80 projector1bMUD.jpg
80 projector2bMUD.jpg

doing the work yourself....will take you back about mm....lets see

1.blingy rice burner fj80 (wanna-be) projector lights..
$200
2.xenon projectors (basic bosch) for the retro..
$80
3.cheap(bulbs) HID kit(currently using those in my runner)
$100
6.2 radio shack auto relays. (to wire directly to the batery)
$12

so we are currently at
$392.00 AMERICAN

in reality mine cost just under $300 cause i used the cheap $40 h4 lamp from kragen on my 4runner.:cheers:

So I got out the dremmel to get the :princess: grille to fit with these lamps and this is how it came out.

NVR ENUF,
Since you have opened these lights up, maybe you can answer my question.

I have a Japan/Oz spec 80, which has an H1 inner hi beam and an H4 outer hi/low beam. Will an H4 fit into the outer projector lamp? Also, I've heard projectors are not good for high beam?

Many thanks!!

Gears,
Red.

Last edited:
The outer(low beam) uses an H1 bulb. Can't see an H4 fitting since it's shaped differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom