Custom built Tear drops ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Priced one out here in Utah....one of three custom builders that I know of in Utah

Specked one out with options......$25300......9 month wait...total off road package

Really.....any Mud guys here own a teardrop of this nature ?

Would you do it again ??

I built mine...10 years old now....all told, over the years and a few changes....I'm in somewhere between 9-10k....if your handy, theres plenty of "homebuilts" to view as resources between here and ExPo

Built mine a couple years ago and has got my boys and I out camping all the time, mostly primitave sites. I love it, and would do it again. The Mrs and daughter... not so much. They think they need a toilet and a shower when we camp. Were looking for a bigger one now that makes everyone happy. Squaredrop is boys only now.
20200704_122524.jpg

Priced one out here in Utah....one of three custom builders that I know of in Utah

Specked one out with options......$25300......9 month wait...total off road package

Would you do it again ??
Sounds typical for an American off road teardrop style new built. You can pay twice as much for an Australian built trailer, but that's kinda out of the "teardrop style". I had my eye on a Lead Dog with a year wait. Used ones show up occasionally in the classifieds on Mud & Expo forums. I got my 2018 TFM that way. It's not that "decked out" and was less than 1/2 that price. Patience and persistance which ever way you go is my best advice.

The quote was for all the goodies.....$25300

solar...inverter.......hot water.....heater......upgraded suspension..articulating hitch...bike rack etc

Prob gonna pull pin & order it.......25% down......March '21 delivery ish

Would you do it again ??

man that’s a lot of money for me, but sounds like a great trailer.

I love my trailer and have plans to put an RTT on top. Because of my trailer, it has made some trip possible just hauling gear for 4 people and it follows my truck where ever it goes. Who knows, in a few years, I might make a sleeper box and mount it on the frame.

Might have a look at the "Tear-drops and tiny trailers" forum. Even if you're not going to build it, which is what the forum is geared towards, there may still be things to learn that will affect your purchase decisions.

I've inquired to a couple Utah RV dealers on the Tag XL series......$20K ish

They really don't respond...they're more interested in selling $60K + trailers

Tweaked my price on the custom build...$23400..but still 9 months out........:bang:

Thanks! Was built for me and my daughter when she was 5 and we used the hell out of it. Now the GF and I use it occasionally.

Prairie,
That's a really nice looking trailer. I like the escutcheon on the side too! What is the siding?

Jdc1,
That is the quagmire most of us face. Would we rather be building or camping? I'd rather be building. My wife OTOH...... LOL

Prairie,
That's a really nice looking trailer. I like the escutcheon on the side too! What is the siding?

Thanks! The wood is Sapele plywood. A plywood supplier in Toledo had it. You can't see it but there's tiny splits in the outer veneer so I got it really cheap. Filled the splits with epoxy tinted black and 99 out of 100 people don't notice.

Congrats! What did you end up purchasing, if you don't mind?

We were going to build one, which seemed like a daunting task. I ended up finding a used SoCal a few hours from us so we purchased that. It's awesome with leaf springs and shocks. We have a James Baroud RTT on top of the trailer for our 2 girls. Makes it super easy to take off and camp. We mostly primitive camp, so it makes it nice being able to take it anywhere without it falling apart.

UP Camping.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom