Current for York A/C clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have an idea of how much current a York A/C clutch draws when engaged?
ie. should I run a relay, instead of drawing current directly out of the ignition circuit?

I am running off of a direct fused circuit now. I think I have it fused at 7 amps, but I am sure I am no where near that. If you have the relay, it certainly won't hurt.

I have a 20 amp relay running mine. That magnetic clutch looks like it would draw more than 5 amps, which most 12v switches are rated @ 3a. It may be overkill but when your changing a flat with your impact gun in -20 degree weather, you won't be complaining.

No I don't have a relay laying around, but as I was re-wiring some of the truck last night, I realized it may not be a bad idea to install one hooked up to the ignition circuit so that I don't overload the ignition circuit with all the accessories that need a keyed line(radio, CB, lights, York). I figured I would go get one of those 3 or 4 pole Ford starter solenoids, and I could hook up as much to that as I wanted without fear. I probably should get an extra fuse block.

I measured it once and I seem to remember that it is about 1 amp, so you shouldn't have any problem just running it off the ignition circuit like all the other cars that use it.

Alright, thats what I'll do for now PH, and *when I get some time* I'll set up a relay with an auxiliary fuse block for everything.

Turns out that even without the York, I'm already drawing too much current from the ignition circuit. When I flip on my 2 Hella's my radio cuts off then back on from the voltage drop. Time for a relay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom