Cummins in 40 questions

Discussion in 'HardCore Corner' started by TCinVA, Jul 8, 2005.

1. TCinVA

TCinVA

I started a thread in the 40/55 forum but it seems to have petered out and now I have more info which equals more questions! I have a stock '75 FJ40. I also have a '91 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins engine, NP 205 or 241, Dana70 rear, Dana60 front
    and a getrag 5 speed. I want to transplant the Dodge stuff into the 40. I already know the engine will fit with a springover and small body lift. The Dodge drivetrain is 10 inches longer than the 'yota. Here are my questions that you all might be willing to answer for a newbie.

1. I want to move the rear axle back while keeping a somewhat stock appearanc. It looks like I could cut the rear wheel well about 3-4" back and still retain the rear radius on the quarter panel. The rear tires are now closer to the front edge of the wheel well so I figure I could slide it back about 5" maybe. Is this reasonable for driveshaft length and angle?

2. If #1 is doable, would I need different rear springs? I saw in another thread where somebody was going to use 55 springs. Is that neccesary or preferable?

3. If I'm running35-38" swampers, would it look alright and function well with full width axles or should I have them narrowed? I plan on driving on the road as well as on the trails.

4. If I narrow the axles, how much would it cost and who does this?

Sorry for the longwinded post- I look forward to your replies. I think this would be a bdass rig if it comes together :)

2. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

There is a cool build on Pirates of a FJ55 using a cummins, he also frequents this forum.

The long and short, it fit in the FJ55 and I know he had someone post up a picture of thier FJ40 with the same engine.

Pillard I think is his handle on here and pirates.

I just plain dig them diesels......

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.