CT26 Rebuild Info.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi H8MUD,

I'm looking to rebuild my CT26 turbo. I have sourced a kit and found
a bit of info on the job. I really need a workshop manual for the CT26.
Does anyone know if such a manual exists?

Boogie Van

First I don't have the manual you're looking for but I'm curious.......

Did you somehow ruin your ct26?
Your sig. says 13psi and I'm wondering how high your EGT readings are?
The reason I ask is I recently built my 3B to take a turbo and that's approx. what I'm running routinely.
I'm hoping for reliability; why the rebuild?
aaron

Thanks Guys,

Mudgugdeon, I did the google search before posting and found melett and another site that had a write up on the procedure Toyota CT26 Rebuild by Robert Pina
I was hoping their was a proper manual out there somewhere like Max Ellery's or something. Maybe altrac and Melett is as good as it gets.

Magnus, The 13B-T is using a little oil. Nothing to really worry about. I have a catch can installed to stop the little bit of blow-by I have. No obvious external leaks on the engine. I'm thinking the higher than stock boost might have worn the turbo oil seal. Its not a big problem I just want to replace to seals in the turbo for piece of mind. EGT's are @ 500F in town and 600 - 900F on the highway. Probe is post turbo. Highest I have seen it was 1000F when going up a big long hill. Before the pyro and boost it may have got higher than that cause I had no way to measure it and did push the cruiser occassionally.

Cheers.

Yeah after a bit more looking I found a brand new replacement turbo for $400 AUD.

Having my ct26 serviced for $450AUD at Precision in Whetherill Park as a precautionary measure (357,00km).

Word to the wise.

Make sure your new turbo is for a landcruiser and NOT for a supra or celica as they spool at much higher RPMs. Even if its got TOYOTA CT26 stamped on it make sure its for a cruiser.

edit: got turbo back from Precision but ended up costing $580AUD including full service kit and high speed balance. Still cheaper than GCG($745) or
MTQ($900). Vertical play seems the same to my untrained eye but all horizontal play eliminated.

Last edited:
where did you find your replacement turbo and its it a genuine toyota unit?

I found a CT26 on eBay around the time of the first post in this thread. I think they must have been Chinese knock offs or something. They were for a 4.2lt cruiser/i spose a 1HD-T. Some people said stay away from them and others who actually used said they were ok. I haven't replaced mine yet. I put in a catch can. Still get oil in the inlet and lose about 3 or 400ml of oil every 5000k's. I don't thnik it was as bad when I had stock boost but now I'm running @ 13 or 14 psi and oil loss is more noticable. I don't think mine anything to worry about.

Word to the wise.

Make sure your new turbo is for a landcruiser and NOT for a supra or celica as they spool at much higher RPMs. Even if its got TOYOTA CT26 stamped on it make sure its for a cruiser.

And if you want to be sure which model it came from, check the part number on the exhaust housing. It should be pretty obvious which of these came from a 1HD-T and which came from a 7M-GTE. You can swap the Supra turbo into your 1HD-T with excellent results but you should use the Cruiser exhaust housing (the smaller one).......

IMGP1412.jpg

IMGP1425.jpg

Any pics/info on the differences on the compressor side for 1HD/7MGTE/13BT? I have two turbos, one with 58020 on it (1HD) and the other with 58010 which is fitted to my 13BT, the 13BT turbo appears to have a larger compressor wheel than the 1HD unit, which I thought was odd.

So, the smaller turbo if for the cruiser?? and can one use that part number as a refrence in future when looking for a new one?
Educate me please, why would the smaller turbo be better? but, both will fit and work right??

If the exhaust housing is 58020 then it is from a cruiser. The Supra housing is just massive by comparison.

Personally, I think the Supra housing is too big for our application as does the only person I've heard of who has tried it. Well, too big to be drivable. He reported no boost until 2000rpm which is bloody useless for a vehicle like this under normal, real world driving conditions. I'd love to be able to build boost even earlier than I already do without having to add any more excess fuel. Going to the larger housing will ultimately allow more air to flow out but I'm far more concerned with what's happening at 1500-2000rpm than 4000rpm.

As far as the details, the only difference between the compressor wheels is that the 7M-GTE has a 47mm inducer vs the 43mm inducer used on the 1HD-T and 3S-GTE. The exducers are the same, and the turbine sides are the same.

Performance wise, I noticed no down side to the swap. My boost comes on just the same as before but it can hold the boost to higher rpms. With the 1HD-T compressor and a semi-dirty tune I could boost something like this (assume truck loaded, at least 2nd gear, and stomping hard):

1500rpm - 10psi
1800rpm - 14psi
2000rpm - 16psi (max set by boost controller)
3000rpm - 12psi
3500rpm - 10psi

As you can see, it just couldn't get enough air to keep that boost up. The problem wasn't the inability to make boost, it was the inability to make boost at high CFM.

Switching to the 7M-GTE compressor allowed me to hold that 16psi all the way to 3500rpm. I never go higher so I can't comment beyond that. I've since been running it with the MBC maxed at 18psi for about 3000km and it will still hold that right up to 3500rpm.

If you have time on your hands and want to listen to the real experts talk, there's lots of good info in this thread around page 10-11 (well, the whole thing is good).

Also, this thread

Here are some pics of my 13BT turbo and then the 1HD turbo I have. It was a little hard to get decent pics as the 13BT one is still on the motor. I thought they would have been the same but the 13BT one has alot more fins and the diameter of the alloy compressor housing over the blades is slightly larger than the 1HD unit, the blade being correspondingly larger to maintain a tight clearance.

13BT

2222222222.jpg

1HD

11111.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom