CSC Tucson HAM Resources (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There is probably a thread already out there, but as a follow up to saying I would post some HAM resources, here we go.

For those at the meeting interested in getting your Technicians's Certification, and we should all have it if we are transmitting on anything other than CB, here are the resources I used to learn and pass the test.

Dave Casler on Youtube. Click through to his study reviews. He goes over the basics of it all:
David Casler

If you are the book type, here is what I ordered from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1625950136/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once you get some study under your belt, you can take the practice exams here:
ARRL Exam Review for Ham Radio™

Also, the answer key to the test question pool is attached below:

Lastly, @D_Web can you post the site for the monthly test sessions?

Cheers Y'all

Jason

Attachments

• 2014-2018 Tech Pool.pdf
    127.3 KB · Views: 75
There is also a phone App that allows you to take practice exams. Amateur Radio exam prep, general. Easy way to squeeze in test questions while you’re waiting etc.

The Laurel VEC provide no-cost exam services all around the country - see Laurel VEC

I'd also encourage everyone to join their local amateur radio club. Membership gives access to a huge pool of experienced amateurs who are only too happy to pass along their knowledge and provide help. It also helps support the various repeater systems we all benefit from along with a bunch of other things (including advocacy, which is critical these days).

I also have an antenna analyser, so if anyone in Tucson is looking to check their setup (or needs a hand installing) let me know. Happy to chuck it on your setup and make sure everything is working as expected.

P.S - in Tucson there are two main clubs - the Oro Valley Amateur Radio Club (OVARC) and the Radio Society of Tucson (RST). I personally am a member of OVARC and find them to be a very welcoming and active club.

Last edited:
I pretty much just used the QRZ website test Practice Amateur Radio Exams by QRZ Ham Radio and an app on my phone. I just kept taking the tests over and over again until I consistently scored above 90% or so.

I never really watched any of the videos or read any of the material. This was just for Technician though.

I pretty much just used the QRZ website test Practice Amateur Radio Exams by QRZ Ham Radio and an app on my phone. I just kept taking the tests over and over again until I consistently scored above 90% or so.

I never really watched any of the videos or read any of the material. This was just for Technician though.
I used the same QRZ practice tests and took the technician and general tests the same day.

The test examiner wanted me to take the extra class test after I aced the technician and general tests, but I declined since I hadn't taken any of the extra class practice tests.

I'm a firm believer that unless you are really into electronics & HAM, your best bet is to memorize the test, pass the test and get your license, and then learn about those aspects of HAM that actually interest you.

Ignorant & licensed beats knowledgeable & unlicensed every time!;)

I'm a firm believer that unless you are really into electronics & HAM, your best bet is to memorize the test, pass the test and get your license, and then learn about those aspects of HAM that actually interest you.

Ignorant & licensed beats knowledgeable & unlicensed every time!;)

100% agree. Get your license first, then learn by using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom