Cruiserweight: Adventure Rig Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after about a year of day dreaming I have finally decided to take a stab at my beloved 1987 Landcruiser I named Betty, as in Betty White for obvious reasons. The journey started like most; I found myself constantly searching through craigslist ads on an empty pocket. I had been drooling over the idea of owning the very same truck my father had during my years as a child. I'll keep it short and sweet as to avoid a sob story but A LOT of my fondest memories involved that Blue turned Green FJ60. As much as it pains me to say, the fate of that cruiser was to be donated.

Fast Forward about 10 years, its 2016 and those endless hours on CL finally led me to that one Ad that stuck to me like flies on sh** . Only problem is that I was and still am a broke college student, but I was adamant on taking that 400 mile journey to pick up that White cruiser we all happily know as Betty. So I asked my good friend if he could lend me the money for my dream, without hesitation he agreed, and so it began. I borrowed my fathers work truck without his knowledge of the true distance I was going to bring this non running 30 year old car back home, so with the U-Haul trailer hooked up, and 3 of my buddies buckled in we set off.

12 hours later and were back in San Francisco, I had no space at my home so the very same friend who lent me the money (Which I paid back) allowed me to park this behemoth in his yard. This is where it spent almost a year waiting for me to finally dive in and see what I was working with. I knew that with the 1000 dollar price tag that their would be some issues but luckily rust wasn't one of them.

About a month ago I finally decided to bring it home and start wrenching on it. :bounce:

DSC02472_zpspicbnxgd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC02472_zpspicbnxgd.jpg

So As You Can See, this is currently how she sits. I have already begun tearing her down to assess the engine and determine its salvageability. Excuse the damage on the rear quarter panel.

DSC02471_zpsvkqauwsd.jpg

Luckily the whole front end is intact and free of any dents and cancerous rust, only small amounts of surface rust is visible, but I plan to repaint it white so all of that is just superficial.

DSC02474_zpsvjoldfrt.jpg

And last but not least, for the ladies, this 6 foot 1 stallion is yours truly. Working on Betty White loosening the rocker assembly with my makeshift breaker bar.

DSC02481_zpsylkur3jx.jpg

Steps are finally being taken to get this beast on the road, with parking spots limited on my block the sooner I get Betty road worthy the better.

I am constantly taking pictures of the progress and Ill do my best to keep this thread alive, just remember Im a college student with a full time job so bear with me - Jeff

So this is where I'm at. I decided to take a peek under the thermostat housing and it wasn't to pretty. Their was this gel like goo that was mixed in with the coolant, I think it was someones attempt at sealing the head gasket with steel seal or some equivalent. Notice the caked on muck thats built up over the years, things aren't looking to well :flush:

DSC02437_zpsioiauv1k.jpg

All I can do is keep moving forward, so I took off the carburetor, wasn't to difficult. Taking a ton of detailed photos during the process should make things easier when and if it comes time to put her back together.

DSC02441_zpsm3powuhj.jpg

The Clutter is unreal on the driver side inner fender! All the emissions crap is just a tangled rats nest, so out it came! Planned to De-smog so wasn't to worried about yanking it out.

DSC02455_zpsflauiagu.jpg

With space cleared out I removed the manifold and header with somewhat ease. Not really, cause the sawzall had to make an appearance to cut the EGR cooler line. I had gotten fed up with those 1/16 turns with a huge monkey wrench.

Sneak Peak :censor: Look what I found after removing the thermostat housing and draining the coolant.

DSC02465_zps03fqimem.jpg

DSC02466_zps6uybmbag.jpg

Nice little peanut butter slurry build up on the rocker assembly, you know what this means...

DSC02462_zpsvdyi03bs.jpg

Ladies and Gentleman I present to you the blown head gasket.

DSC02507_zpsocdamuld.jpg

Unfortunately, removing the head revealed more problems than I cared for :bang:.

DSC02494_zps1kvd5uwi.jpg

DSC02499_zpszzedrohs.jpg

DSC02498_zps9rdlm9lr.jpg

So I have decided to go with a V8, most likely a 350 with TBI. I have a 1997 GM NV4500 under my bench collecting dust, so i might as well throw that in the mix. I'll be honest, I was kind of hoping that the engine would be as bad as it is, more of a reason to go V8. So this is where the fun begins, I already found the donor truck, Im just waiting for a little bit of time to free up to move forward with the swap. Stay tuned.

How you going to work the desmog angle in SFO?

It's agood looking 60 though, and with some TLC, it should be great!

How you going to work the desmog angle in SFO?

It's agood looking 60 though, and with some TLC, it should be great!
Their is a 200 or 300 dollar abatement fee you can pay for cars at least 30 years old, I was going to try to work that angle. and thank you for the kind words :cheers:

Space fills up quick in a single car garage, but sometimes you have to make do with what you have. It's funny because I am pretty unequipped to do an engine swap and this is my first project car. But the whole thing is a learning process and I enjoy every minute of it. Any input or tips would be greatly appreciated, especially from you seasoned Mud Vets. All I can keep saying is One step at a time!

DSC02504_zpsmccek2wk.jpg

The easiest and least expensive engine swap will be to find a running 2F taken out for someone else's engine swap. It's a quick in and out swap, just something to consider. The smog issue is huge in California, so before you desmog, consider this very carefully. It is best to stay out of the system. So either smog it legally, or license it out of state where there is no smog requirement.

Lots involved in doing an LS swap correctly! Good luck.

The easiest and least expensive engine swap will be to find a running 2F taken out for someone else's engine swap. It's a quick in and out swap, just something to consider. The smog issue is huge in California, so before you desmog, consider this very carefully. It is best to stay out of the system. So either smog it legally, or license it out of state where there is no smog requirement.

Lots involved in doing an LS swap correctly! Good luck.

I just picked up a 1996 Chevy 2500 with a 350 TBI, so I'm pretty much commited to the V8 swap. I know the LS based engines are pretty involved but what about something like mine with a tbi? I think I have the Gen II motor.

Space fills up quick in a single car garage, but sometimes you have to make do with what you have. It's funny because I am pretty unequipped to do an engine swap and this is my first project car. But the whole thing is a learning process and I enjoy every minute of it. Any input or tips would be greatly appreciated, especially from you seasoned Mud Vets. All I can keep saying is One step at a time!

If you have the NV4500 go for it! Do Advance Adapters have the adapter to the t-case?
From a guy who has done a couple of full meal deal builds in 16x24 shop - Store stuff right away if
you don't need it. Lots of ziplocks so you don't mix up nuts / bolts, sharpie to list each on the bag.
I am a clean freak, I sweep the floor a lot. I can be organized if it's clean. FWIW Good luck,

If you have the NV4500 go for it! Do Advance Adapters have the adapter to the t-case?
From a guy who has done a couple of full meal deal builds in 16x24 shop - Store stuff right away if
you don't need it. Lots of ziplocks so you don't mix up nuts / bolts, sharpie to list each on the bag.
I am a clean freak, I sweep the floor a lot. I can be organized if it's clean. FWIW Good luck,

AA does in fact have an adapter for the Toyota split case TC, just saving up for it in the meantime. I know the bench looks like a mess hahaha, but trust me theirs a method to my madness. I agree with you on the labeled plastic baggies for nuts and bolts, it makes things easier down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom