Cross country drive...which vehicle do you take? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I talked to them again sounds like Yukon could allow Alaskans to cross as essential out of Haines and Skagway. The health department couldn’t give me any idea of when the lower 48 boarder would open to vaccinated Americans.

My 0.02, they are being cautious due to majorly increasing Delta in the Midwest/mid Atlantic and lower (but increasing) vaccine rates in Canada.
Working with my team in Toronto and my customer in Montreal, the provincial governments are not even allowing people from Ontario into Quebec. So it will be a while before I can drive to Vancouver.

As the title states, I'll be driving from Seattle to Chicago, roundtrip. I'm trying to decide which vehicle to take the family in. We have a 2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid and a 2020 LC. Just trying to get some objective input, although I'm not too sure if it's possible here on the 200 forum. Obviously the big advantage the RAV4 has is its fuel economy. I'm basically looking at almost three times the cost of fuel. We're basically doing a straight shot drive with hardly any detours or sightseeing stops if any. Just stopping for lodging. We would normally be flying but given the current status with Covid and our two boys ages 8 and 6 not being vaccinated yet, the wife (ICU doctor who's seen plenty of covid patients come through and die) said flying is a non starter. Fuel costs not being a factor, I feel most would say take the LC. I would too I guess but I thought I'd throw the question out here given the fact that it's all interstate driving and we won't be packing anything extra. Everything would fit in the RAV4 and overall interior space is not a factor. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Really?! RAV4 all the way.

Wife and eight month old son were clipped on right rear panel driving 70 in left lane of highway. Rolled 6 times and ended up in the ditch on the right side of the highway. Both walked away from the accident. Officer told us the LX saved their lives and he planned to get one for his family. I would drive the LC for safety and all the other pluses.
404468A6-0CBA-4259-9C0D-2B0C9A95A2DC.jpeg
A3B5B223-5BB3-4AF0-A4B5-006B219FD019.jpeg
5D17DD37-004B-4E37-9B86-E6720B1A5B77.jpeg
5D17DD37-004B-4E37-9B86-E6720B1A5B77.jpeg

Wife and eight month old son were clipped on right rear panel driving 70 in left lane of highway. Rolled 6 times and ended up in the ditch on the right side of the highway. Both walked away from the accident. Officer told us the LX saved their lives and he planned to get one for his family. I would drive the LC for safety and all the other pluses.
View attachment 2719392View attachment 2719395View attachment 2719396View attachment 2719396
That’s nothing short of a miracle. Thankful your family survived 🙏

Sensitivity to fuel prices should always be a consideration, but things aren't too ridiculous at the moment.

We also have a 1800mi round trip coming up with our seat-kicking 3 year old, we could either take the wife's X3 that gets 34mpg or the LC hog. The peace of mind with safety, reliability and just sheer space offsets the additional fuel costs to take the LC in my opinion.

Also, you get to stop every 40 minutes for gas and stretch. Win win.
It definitely makes a difference which states you’re traveling to for some. My buddy in Cali sent me a pic of him filling up 19.5gal for $95 the other day. I paid $3.85gal just last week in Colorado.

I agree, the X3 is not great for family road trips when compared to a larger suv. I also prefer more room. The 200 is pretty good for long road trips but not excellent. If I had another space in my garage, I would buy the new Navigator Reserve. Rented one for 10days while in Colorado recently and it was absolutely amazing. Very powerful, decent fuel mileage(takes regular) Raptor engine😎 and insanely comfortable in all the seats, yes even the 3rd row.

It definitely makes a difference which states you’re traveling to for some. My buddy in Cali sent me a pic of him filling up 19.5gal for $95 the other day. I paid $3.85gal just last week in Colorado.

I agree, the X3 is not great for family road trips when compared to a larger suv. I also prefer more room. The 200 is pretty good for long road trips but not excellent. If I had another space in my garage, I would buy the new Navigator Reserve. Rented one for 10days while in Colorado recently and it was absolutely amazing. Very powerful, decent fuel mileage(takes regular) Raptor engine😎 and insanely comfortable in all the seats, yes even the 3rd row.
My other ride is an expedition el. It’s bigger than my 200.

OK… Just to add to the entertainment here…

Which is more likely to roll?
LC

Which is more likely to fail an emergency maneuver?

LC

Which is less likely to stop in time?

LC

Which is more likely to run out of gas…so you get run over while walking to the gas station? :)
:rimshot:

Hehe… LC. :)

Which gives morons more opportunities to rob you (because you’re stopping every 270 miles?
Hehe…

Which one is more likely to fall off the cliff on Too of tge Workd trail in Moab?
:rimshot:
LC heh heh…

—Whole lotta ways large vehicles can increase other chances of accidents & death…

OTOH… By the time LCdC trip was done last year, I had driven 4800 miles in my LC and was comfy as could be. :steer:
The RAV4 failed the moose test and another testing group ranked it the 4th highest SUV to rollover. (Not sure on LC due to limited testing). (Edit, looks like Toyota updated the 20+ RAV4 to do better in the moose test).

The stock RAV4 60-0mph stop requires 134 feet, the stock Land Cruiser takes only 121 (surprisingly).

Not sure where the LC rates, on emergency manuevers the Prado/GX460 passed the moose test, and the 200 is wider. which should help reduce rollover risk. Moose testing is done at 43-50 mph. Here is the LC doing a lane change at 60mph (essentially the moose test at even higher speeds) pretty amazing:

And let's be honest, if you take the RAV4 you'll have to actually go into each c-store to get more chocolate milk, since the RAV4 has no coolbox, and if you get pulled over, what cold and tasty beverage will you have on hand to bribe the cops with? :)

Op's best option is to buy an FJ-40 and drive it across the country. Sure, more dangerous, no power, no storage room, likely to break down, but it is about the journey, not the destination!

(Warning, this story never finishes, which is very disappointing, but is a great read!)

Last edited:
The RAV4 failed the moose test and another testing group ranked it the 4th highest SUV to rollover. (Not sure on LC due to limited testing). (Edit, looks like Toyota updated the 20+ RAV4 to do better in the moose test).

The stock RAV4 60-0mph stop requires 134 feet, the stock Land Cruiser takes only 121 (surprisingly).

Not sure where the LC rates, on emergency manuevers the Prado/GX460 passed the moose test, and the 200 is wider. which should help reduce rollover risk. Moose testing is done at 43-50 mph. Here is the LC doing a lane change at 60mph (essentially the moose test at even higher speeds) pretty amazing:

And let's be honest, if you take the RAV4 you'll have to actually go into each c-store to get more chocolate milk, since the RAV4 has no coolbox, and if you get pulled over, what cold and tasty beverage will you have on hand to bribe the cops with? :)

Op's best option is to buy an FJ-40 and drive it across the country. Sure, more dangerous, no power, no storage room, likely to break down, but it is about the journey, not the destination!

(Warning, this story never finishes, which is very disappointing, but is a great read!)

Iron Pig has more room!

I am now in same predicament. Chicago to NJ.

4Runner V8 200k miles
LX570 112k miles
2020 Cruiser 8k miles

Which JDM V8 shall be driven?

why the 4Runner?
Dunno. Can’t put a finger on it but it has more sentimental value than the 200s. I’ve always wanted a Cruiser (since 99 when my parents bought a 100 and I was a little kid) and was able to pick up the 20 last year. I haven’t taken it anywhere but to work and back to the Deep South. It has less than 1000 miles in the last 9 months on it.

the 4Runner has been in nearly every state, driven to Alaska, and been across country multiple times.

it also has an ARB bumper for those PA deer that like to cross the road at night. I will be driving through the night so the bumper’s protection is a big win for me. I want to get an ARB for the Cruiser too for this very reason.

Dunno. Can’t put a finger on it but it has more sentimental value than the 200s. I’ve always wanted a Cruiser (since 99 when my parents bought a 100 and I was a little kid) and was able to pick up the 20 last year. I haven’t taken it anywhere but to work and back to the Deep South. It has less than 1000 miles in the last 9 months on it.

the 4Runner has been in nearly every state, driven to Alaska, and been across country multiple times.

it also has an ARB bumper for those PA deer that like to cross the road at night. I will be driving through the night so the bumper’s protection is a big win for me. I want to get an ARB for the Cruiser too for this very reason.
I got my 2020 HE February of 2020. I still haven't broken 5k. The RAV4 Hybrid I got in December of 2020. I'm already past 6k.

Night driving is definitely riskier for animal strikes. I'll be doing all my driving during daylight. Still leaning towards the RAV4.

I got my 2020 HE February of 2020. I still haven't broken 5k. The RAV4 Hybrid I got in December of 2020. I'm already past 6k.

Night driving is definitely riskier for animal strikes. I'll be doing all my driving during daylight. Still leaning towards the RAV4.

I have on occasion viewed animals near the road during the day light hours- and texting, sleeping, crazy, stoned nut job humans on the road too...

One error (not your fault) occurring on one single foot of one single mile of your long journey could change everyone's lives forever in an instant.

Some could wonder why/how those white crosses can be on the side of the highway while on a three mile long straight stretch of road, until something happens in an unplanned accident before your very eyes.... never to be unseen or forgotten in your minds eye...

The smell and sounds of an emergency room in Anytown, USA could be you and your family's new home town instantly.

How much is the immediate airfare/ charter to Anytown, USA?

The rest of the family needs to get to Anytown, USA this afternoon.

If you can afford a 200 you can probably afford the gas to fill its undersized fuel tank a couple times a day.

Filling your 200's fuel tank a couple times a day is way cheaper than a last minute charter flight to Anytown, USA.

Probably nothing bad will happen, but why not stack the odds in your best favor? ( just in case )

Have a safe trip.

Peace.

There's as many opinions as there is types of cars on the road. We've all got our own trade space and decision space as to what is best. At least we've got some common ground as we're all purveyors of the 200-series. To a degree.

There's nothing inherently more dangerous to traveling the open roads cross country. If anything, probably safer than the day to day commuting traffic.

Not all of us use our cruisers as the only car. While I agree it's safer in many respects in an actual crash, it's arguably not the safest in preventing or mitigating an accident where mass and handling can work against it, lack of modern active safety features, and subjective things like spouses that aren't use to driving a 6k+ rhino. Not to mention modifications that can make our cruisers significantly less safe in handling and crash performance. Armor included.

I believe the OP already made his decisions. Good discussion just the same.

Stay safe out there over the 4th of July weekend. I'm about to get on the road with 15k lbs worth of rig. Definitely not the safest when heavy hauling over long distances, but the wild card for me is all the other people on the road. Eager, out of practice, distracted, anxious, and maybe even angry. Great time to practice more defensive driving.

I vote 200. Just got back to Austin from Angel Fire and Cloudcroft. Already missing the cool weather. The 5.7 is great passing a caravan of slow 18 wheelers in west Texas. You look down and speedo is at 100mph. Plus some of the oil patch roads are rough with tons of potholes and I wouldn't want to be driving anything with low profile tires at 80mph.

PXL_20210617_132811369~2.jpg

tch roads are rough with tons of potholes and I wouldn't want to be driving anything with low profile tires at 80mph.

How did these "rear pack" did work?

I assume that it is a mess for cleaning, after driving some dirtroads? How was your expericence?

Why do you didnt use a Roof Box? They keeps clean even on a transafrica. As you can see, the rest of my car was pretty dirty.

DSC04013.jpg

trippin

In two weeks we will be making a big road trip through several states. If I had a Rav4, Highlander, or other similar vehicle, I wouldn't take it. We're taking the Land Cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom