Cross country drive...which vehicle do you take? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title states, I'll be driving from Seattle to Chicago, roundtrip. I'm trying to decide which vehicle to take the family in. We have a 2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid and a 2020 LC. Just trying to get some objective input, although I'm not too sure if it's possible here on the 200 forum. Obviously the big advantage the RAV4 has is its fuel economy. I'm basically looking at almost three times the cost of fuel. We're basically doing a straight shot drive with hardly any detours or sightseeing stops if any. Just stopping for lodging. We would normally be flying but given the current status with Covid and our two boys ages 8 and 6 not being vaccinated yet, the wife (ICU doctor who's seen plenty of covid patients come through and die) said flying is a non starter. Fuel costs not being a factor, I feel most would say take the LC. I would too I guess but I thought I'd throw the question out here given the fact that it's all interstate driving and we won't be packing anything extra. Everything would fit in the RAV4 and overall interior space is not a factor. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Funny you bring this up as I'm wavering on a similar situation. I have young kids not of vaccination age yet and we're not quite ready to fly. We're driving from San Diego to Sacramento multiple times later this summer to drop off the kids to spend time with grandparents. 500 miles each way x 4 trips = 2000 miles.

Normally this is the job of the LX. With an aux tank, don't even need to refuel en-route. Vying for the trip is my wife's Tesla Model 3.

LX570 - 15 MPG @ $4.50 for premium = $600
Tesla Model 3 - @ $0.05 mile home and supercharging = $100

Cost is not the primary issue and I'm also taking into consideration Autopilot, and the slog through LA traffic. Factoring in the more exclusive and premium Tesla only restrooms and convenience stops. Superior entertainment. I've driven this route probably 20+ times with the cruiser, and 2x with the Tesla, and the cruiser is not necessarily the clear winner. With as many of this specific trip that we do each year, if I can only combine the LX and Model 3 in one car.... Hrmmmmmmm.

RAV4 Hybrid has my vote. Right size tool for the job.

Cruiser. It’s safer. Bad things can happen in a long freeway laden drive. From deer to semis to 120mph speeders dodging in and out.
Also you might have extra time on the trip, and the Rockies in a cruiser are definitely better.

i had an amazing high speed touring sedan. It could go 100 mph all day long, was comfortable and luxurious. But nowhere near the space inside. The back seat on the 200 is cavernous, and double cavernous for kids. All that space matters particularly on long 18 hour driving days.

i had an amazing high speed touring sedan. It could go 100 mph all day long, was comfortable and luxurious. But nowhere near the space inside. The back seat on the 200 is cavernous, and double cavernous for kids. All that space matters particularly on long 18 hour driving days.

I'd agree the cruiser is larger. But it's not as much larger as the exterior size would suggest. With the RAV4 even potentially winning in some interior dimensions. Chalk it up to body-on-frame vs unibody.

Cruiser. You can’t put a price on safety.

Cruiser. It’s safer. Bad things can happen in a long freeway laden drive. From deer to semis to 120mph speeders dodging in and out.
Also you might have extra time on the trip, and the Rockies in a cruiser are definitely better.

The first thing I thought about was safety.

Back in 1998, my wife came home shaking and afraid. She’d just blasted the horn on her Volvo Turbo wagon at an Excursion that almost center punched her. Then as she looked back in her rear view mirror, she realized that she’d run a red light. A week later she was driving a 1996 Land Cruiser.

Not to say that anyone here will do something dangerous. It’s the other folks that may.

We‘ve been and still are an all SUV family. Of course, YMMV :)

edit: YMWS (your mileage will suck - with a large SUV)

Last edited:
Best friend has a rav4, land cruiser wins hands down in every category except economy. We did brakes on his vehicle last week - it is all car level/durability components. The land cruiser is a tank and I’d trust my family’s life to it any day of the year over the rav4.

Best friend has a rav4, land cruiser wins hands down in every category except economy. We did brakes on his vehicle last week - it is all car level/durability components. The land cruiser is a tank and I’d trust my family’s life to it any day of the year over the rav4.
Those “crossover” SUVs are frequently built on sedan chassis. I know BMW is good at that, I assume Toyota follows same SOP.

Do wish I got RAV 4 mileage though lol!

Flip a coin. The new Rav4's are pretty nice, comfort goes to the 200, economy and range to the Rav4. Both are safe.

I don't have a Rav4 in the stable, but wife drives a RX350. If detours are not in the mix, I would rather take hers just to prevent unnecessarily rolling up miles on the Cruiser, assuming everything and everyone fits in the smaller vehicle.

I take my van

3F46F79B-7D33-45E1-AAA4-FE4B67033FFF.jpeg

Please don't take this as rude, but is driving a very light car 3k miles, interfacing w 1000s of unique drivers at high speeds vs the safety of an airplane...wise? All because your children are in a age bracket (0-8) that has seen a total of 68 covid deaths throughout the entire pandemic? Your children are at far more risk from pnemonia/car accident around town than Covid. The CDC has provided plenty of easily accessible data wrt children that should ease your wife's misplaced fear.

If no side trips that call for the LC, fly. Otherwise LC 100% for safety. $300ish gas mileage concern driving $90k vehicle w 2 children in equation kind of an odd place to pinch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom