2015 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not a build thread (yet), but going to start the modding process on my 2015 GX460. I've been doing a lot of reading and searching on this forum, and I think I finally figured out what I want/need. I'm not that familiar with modding the GX yet (all the money goes to the FJ40) so I just wanted other opinions or ideas. I'll try and keep this thread updated when I make the changes.

Background - Stock 2015 GX460 Premium? Has KDSS but not the air suspension. Primarily used for camping/roadtrips mild offroading in the California Deserts and Sierras, but not a DD so I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit in comfort/mileage if needed. Only modifications so far is a FrontRunner roof rack to hold my RTT, and rear seats have been removed for more storage space and weight reduction.

Current Plans

Lift - 2-3" Max. Thinking of the Dobinon's MRR, but not sure what type of springs I'd need. On trips I usually have a pretty full load so I'm leaning towards the heavy springs, but not sure if it's too stiff. Don't want to go too high and affect my drivetrain too much unless necessary. Are there any other things I need to consider when lifting ? Is it recommended to replace the upper or lower control arms with this amount of lift? Do I need to extend the brake lines or anything else?
Skids - Still waiting for RCI or Budbuilt to come out with GX460 specific set. I know I could mix and match the 4runner set, but unless I find a used set at a significant discount, I'd rather buy one specifically made for the 460. Still debating steel or aluminum, don't really have preference. I don't do any rock crawling but I've already damaged the stock ones.
Sliders - I like the SSO sliders, but haven't really looked at many others. I really want to get rid of the OEM steps, but the family still needs steps to get in. Plus I like to have something to stand on when loading/unloading the roof rack, so having something wide enough to use as a step is essential.
Front bumper - The main reason is to gain more approach angle, the stock bumper is like a giant shovel off road. Secondary use is a place to mount some aux lights. I have an old warn winch laying around I may mount in the future, but not really a high priority, I don't do a lot of winching normally. I've seen Ironman/ARB, and the new Metaltech front bumper. Ironman looks like a knockoff of the ARB but less weight which is nice. Metaltech is twice the price, but keeps all the functionality of the sensors and headlight washer. I'd like to keep the sensors, but don't care too much about the headlight washers.
Tires - From what I've read 265/65/18 is the largest tire that will fit in the stock spare location, so I'm guessing that limits my tires size even if I get a lift. I know some people have fit slightly larger, but I have the factory tow hitch and KDSS so I think that's going to prevent anything larger. Can I upgrade my tires to 265/65/18 while keeping the original (265/60/18) spare? The difference in diameter is 1" Some people have said all tires have to be the same size, but I don't know how close in size. Planning on keeping the stock rims unless there's a good reason to change. Most likely will be getting BFG K02 or similar.

Anyone have any comments or recommendations with these plans? Also looking for vendors for each of these.

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m
Hey man!

I’m dobinsons largest dealer and would be happy to help.

Dobs has a pretty slick bull bar as well if that style is of interest to you.

Shoot me an email and we’ll getcha squared up. Kyle@treatyoakoffroad.com

If you're needing an installer and if you're in So. Cal. I HIGHLY recommend YotaMasters to do the work. They may not be fast but they do well thought out work.
Here's the link to my build with a photo of the crew that worked on my rig:
Just an FYI, I'm an engineer and for me form must follow function. with that being said, I really appreciated the work these guys did.

Hey Kyle,

I've seen your name mentioned a few times for Dobinsons. I think I messaged you a couple months ago, but at the time I wasn't sure what I wanted. I pretty sure what I want now, I'll be giving you a call soon.

I must have missed the Dobinsons bullbar on your site, looks nice. Do you have any pictures of it on a later model (2015) GX460? Does it keep the functionality of the sensors and headlight washers?

Also, has anyone ever used different spring rates front/back? Like a medium duty front, heavy rear?

Thanks for your input. I get my GX back today from the tire shop, so I'm hoping to start the modding in the next month or so.

Last edited:
If you're needing an installer and if you're in So. Cal. I HIGHLY recommend YotaMasters to do the work. They may not be fast but they do well thought out work.
Here's the link to my build with a photo of the crew that worked on my rig:
Just an FYI, I'm an engineer and for me form must follow function. with that being said, I really appreciated the work these guys did.

Thanks. I'm not sure if I'm going to do the install myself or send it out, but it's always good to have recommendations. I've followed your build. It was seeing the pics of your GX, TX GX460, and a few others on here that gave me the motivation to start. I actually think the pictures of the Metaltech bumpers look better in your thread than on their own website.

Ducktapeguy, Kyle will take good care of you. He has too many products available to him to keep on his website, so don't be worried if you don't see it there. If it's Dobinsons he can get it for you.

I don't think I have seen anyone put a Dobinsons front bar on a 2014+ model yet. I have seen only 3 2014+ GX 460s with Australian front bars: mine (ARB Summit), one traded in and now for sale at a dealership in the PNW (ARB Deluxe), and one owned by a guy in Southern California who is on GXOR (Ironman). Kyle can confirm. But that being said I believe the Dobinsons bar is very similar to the Ironman, so you may want to check out his build (https://www.facebook.com/groups/LexusGXOR/permalink/1435407889923653/). I believe the only front bumpers that allow for headlight washers are the ARB Summit and the MetalTech Tiger Shark. Most (all?) brands have the option for parking sensors.

I did talk to the person with the Ironman bumper a while ago, he’s close to me and I think he’s also here on mud. I saw they had a local meet on GXOR, if I had known about it earlier I would’ve dropped by so I can see some of these mods in person before I start spending too much $$$.

I also found someone selling some new 2018 Tacoma takeoffs rims and tires in 265/70/17, I wish I had seen it yesterday since I just bought new 265/65/18 tires today. They’re both the same diameter, but the 17’s would probably work better off road. I was also thinking of getting some 0 offset rims for a wider stance, but not sure if I want to risk adding more stress to the wheel bearings. Does a 1” wider width have any noticeable effects on stability or is it more for looks?

Last edited:
Have you thought about a 17” tire in a size like 265/70/17?
Several years ago when I was looking for the "perfect" rim size for my expo 100 series Landcruiser I was building I decided a 17" rim was the optimum size. My reasons?:
  • Fits over disk brakes. (this is for people wondering if a 15" or 16" rim would work)
  • In almost any off-road overall diameter tire size (read: 31", 33", 35", metric sizes, etc.), the tire will usually be the most affordable in this rim size.
  • In almost any off-road overall diameter tire size (read: 31", 33", 35", metric sizes, etc.), the tire will usually be the most available in this rim size. This is important if you're ever out in the middle of nowhere traveling cross country, shred a tire and need to replace it.
  • The side wall is generally tall enough to allow airing down without rolling off the rim bead.
  • The side wall is generally tall enough to give good cushion when driving and off-roading.
I've been using a 17" rim for at least 15 years now on all my rigs.
Just my 2 cents worth of experience.

Most of my older cars have 15"rims for the same reasons you just mentioned. At the time 15" tires had the most selection, wider availability, and were generally cheaper because they were so common. Then 16" started coming out, then that oddball 16.5" (don't know what they were thinking with that), then 17" became the standard. I figure if I wait long enough 18" will probably become commonplace, or who knows everyone might decide 19" is the new standard.

In hindsight I probably should have gotten new/used 17" rims rather than keeping the stock ones. I just hate swapping perfectly good stock parts for no reason.

Mixing spring rates is no biggy, but if you’re talking bumpers front and rear, front bumper, rear drawers, etc then we’ll spec the coil to the application. There are dozens of combinations so building a kit specific to your loadout is 100% doable.

Bumpers do not retain sensors or washers, you could maybe drill for front sensors but no promises.

Look wise will be similar to arb/Ironman. TX GX460 above has a predator with ARB (among other things), it looks DAMN good. Check out his build thread for lots of pics.

Most of my older cars have 15"rims for the same reasons you just mentioned. At the time 15" tires had the most selection, wider availability, and were generally cheaper because they were so common. Then 16" started coming out, then that oddball 16.5" (don't know what they were thinking with that), then 17" became the standard. I figure if I wait long enough 18" will probably become commonplace, or who knows everyone might decide 19" is the new standard.

In hindsight I probably should have gotten new/used 17" rims rather than keeping the stock ones. I just hate swapping perfectly good stock parts for no reason.
I believe 16.5" wheels are more military standard for Hummwv's and similar vehicles.

A little progress. New tires, new brake pads, and removed the steps to see what it’d look like lifted. Kinda wish I had gotten 0 offset rims, maybe in the future.

For all the people running larger than 31” tires, what are you doing with the spare? I looked and I’m not even sure these 265/65/18’s are gonna fit in the spare location

A little progress. New tires, new brake pads, and removed the steps to see what it’d look like lifted. Kinda wish I had gotten 0 offset rims, maybe in the future.

For all the people running larger than 31” tires, what are you doing with the spare? I looked and I’m not even sure these 265/65/18’s are gonna fit in the spare location

View attachment 1905642
Hanging the spare off the rear bumper. 👏

That seems to be the only option unless I want it in the rear cargo area. However I’m seeing a lot of people running larger tires with no rear tire carrier, which has me wondering if they’re just running a smaller diameter spare.

I looked in the manual regarding tire size differences for AWD but didn’t see any spec or warning. Maybe I missed it,

Does a 1” wider width have any noticeable effects on stability or is it more for looks?

I’m a believer in wheel spacers for a few reasons. I ran them on my 200 for years without any issues. There’s some debate out there as to whether there is a discernible impact on wheel bearing life. My assessment is that if there is an impact it’s minimal.

Reasons I like them:
- wider track means lower CG. This means a lot when you’re off-camber off road. Add an RTT and it could mean the difference between rolling over and not.

- fills out the stance of the truck better.

-can help clear larger tires (this was the way I was able to run 34’s on my 200.)

Just added my spidertrax spacers today to my new GX, in fact.

Last edited:
Do you notice a difference in handling, either on/off road? I'd like to get a wider stance but if there's no real improvement in handling it's probably going to be a very low priority.

I'd probably go with 0 offset wheels vs. wheel spacers, just one less failure point.

I had only owned my truck about 3-4 days before putting the spacers on, but yes I definitely notice a cornering difference. It's much more than I was anticipating.

I wanted to keep the OEM quality Lexus wheels, so I painted them black and added the spacers. It really changes the attitude of the truck, IMO.

I agree with sticking with OEM wheels, I don't trust the quality of aftermarket wheels compared to OEM.

I may give the spacers a try, if I don't like them I guess I could always sell them. How thick are those spacers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom